Simon's RSM250 - Beginner Advice Please

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of us running RSM 250s don't run the black sponges - Cheers for starting a tank thread & sharing your tank with us ! :)

If you do run them... you will want to pull them weekly & rinse, as they trap nitrates.

aquachemist

Just ordered chiller, pump, ato, UV and rock. Will get tubing for chiller at LFS once it all arrives. There goes a nice little chunk of $$. Now to wait....... still need a test kit yet though. Will wait till next week for that.

Red Sea Max 250

pablomay28

I have black sponge in my left chamber.....yours is empty?

Red Sea Max 250
I do run the black sponges in the system. I removed the uv from the system. I also purchased the after market media rack where i run 2 chemipure elite and 1 purigen. I am due for a large water change and have to do my rear sump clean up and washing of the return pumps.

aquachemist

1c6b8cf14026f7863238a8388541c03c.jpg

I just scored all this tanks live rock for $30!!! He offered some fish and coral too but i have to cycle first. Hopefully it's still available when my tank has cycled

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

Now do I just put the live rock straight in or do I have to rinse them in RO or salt water first?

Red Sea Max 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Get your salinity right 1.026 & to temp & put them in, your cycling & should be fine, in fact you may have little to no cycle - this is like moving from a big tank to a small tank & you could have taken his fish & corals, I would guess.

The only thing you want to watch is for die-off that would occur moving the rock, if it was out of sw any long amount of time.

DaveK

Now do I just put the live rock straight in or do I have to rinse them in RO or salt water first?

Red Sea Max 250
Get your salinity right 1.026 & to temp & put them in, your cycling & should be fine, in fact you may have little to no cycle - this is like moving from a big tank to a small tank & you could have taken his fish & corals, I would guess.

The only thing you want to watch is for die-off that would occur moving the rock, if it was out of sw any long amount of time.

I partly disagree with nanoreefingforfun. If you have had a tank running for a long time, a lot of dirt can become trapped in the crevices of the rock. If this is the case, you may want to rinse the rock using a bucket filled with water from the tank. When done carefully pour off the water looking for anything that came out that you might want to keep.

Never ever use RO water or tap water, as the will kill all the good bacteria,

aquachemist

Ok. When you say "looking for anything that came out that you might want to keep". What could/will come out. I've never done this before

Red Sea Max 250

DaveK

Ok. When you say "looking for anything that came out that you might want to keep". What could/will come out. I've never done this before

Red Sea Max 250

You might find some hermit crabs or snails that are part of your CUC. You might find some large pods, maybe some micro brittle stars. All sorts of things are possible.

aquachemist

Ok cool. Oh and he gave me the leather corals attached to the rock also. Will they die in the tank? What should i do to try and get them to live?

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

Well they are all in the tank now plus a crab, snail, and a prawn of some sort. Sorry about the poor quality photos
f1fedd61bae956bbca24b5f6db0b9876.jpg

144bfdd645e909f1bc5ccf524119c44d.jpg

912d56c6e22b34bbf57833b0c793b72c.jpg

adee62b9e314b921a2a09dfc195ebffd.jpg

6c74ffbd0f5d0ee2eba4cc3bcd00f061.jpg

097498e7160273494b7c9677f18e6228.jpg

5f8df0d6582fb65666f280c4c4bd3da3.jpg

Red Sea Max 250

Danreef

All will go OK. Leathers, sometimes, can take some days to open, so don't be worried if you see them as on the pictures for a long time.

aquachemist

Well I've had an interesting time. The guy i got the rocks off rang and asked if there was a fish in my tank. I said no I only bought rock. 10 minutes after putting the rock in....... Lo and behold this guy/girl was hiding in a rock through 45mins of transport that we thought was dry rock so no idea how he/she survived and now is my first fish. Rang the guy back up and he said we could keep it and hopefuly survive. Now help people!!!! Its a Picasso Trigger fish i believe. Not bad for a hitchiker on live rock.
5402d41236de39325154fa200bdd05a9.jpg

Red Sea Max 250