Sick Hippo Tang

leebca

About the only value hyposalinity now has is that the fish are more comfortable in it. Whether you keep it going is your personal choice. It has no curative function that I can see.

Jetbkk

Well, I guess they can be "comfortable" in hypo and then die in a few days of whatever it is they have, or I could attempt to raise the salinity and try a copper treatment with Cupramine. Neither scenario looks very optimistic at this point however. I don't know any other possible treatments so that's about as far as I go at this stage.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Buddy ur in a tough spot. U gotta do something.

Thoughts on antibiotics?

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Jetbkk

Just remember that this:

sick_taNG.jpg

.. is what got me to where I am now. If this isn't Ich, what is it? It seems to be that the only reason Velvet isn't being suspected is that my fish in the QT are still alive???

dmatt88

Man that still looks like the worst crypto case I've ever seen. Even has the eyes covered.

dmatt88

Google oodinium. N ich. What does it more closely resemble in person.

Jetbkk

Well that fish died 2 weeks ago. The other deaths did not show like this. Their symptoms were fast breathing and extreme lethargy.

dmatt88

Id still consider the cause if the regals death us related to the others. Water quality induced disease.

Jetbkk

Me too and I would guess Velvet but Lee doesn't think that is likely or these fish would have died 2 weeks ago..

I guess I will raise the salinity and do a Cupramine treatment. I'm sure I'll lose the 2 Leopards though which really sucks

Jetbkk

The dying continues...

Leopard-1.jpg

This Leopard Wrasse was one of my favorite fish and was doing really well in the DT tank before getting sick. From the photo I can't see anything visible that indicates Ich or Velvet. The symptoms prior to death were fast breathing and lethargy. 24 hours before it died I noticed it swimming around in the night time, which this fish has never done before (it goes into the sand in the afternoon) and then it was all downhill from there.

If no one else has any suggestions for what to do, I will begin raising the salinity back to normal and proceed with a Cupramine treatment in a couple days. If I do nothing, the remaining 4 fish will surely die.

lethal

Man, this really sucks what you're going through. Sorry I can't offer any useful advice but hang in there buddy.

Jetbkk

A brief update... the salinity was raised over a couple days and I started copper treatment. Nothing else has died and the 4 remaining fish are all looking fine for now and eating a lot. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the copper level up to what it should be but I'll sort that out. Hopefully they'll be ok with the copper.

Jetbkk

One thing I definitely noticed is that after I started added copper, the tank water suddenly got very clear. I was having problems with the tank looking pretty "murky" but not after a few days of copper it is looking crystal clear. Any idea if this is the copper and why?

leebca

I continue to be suspicious that there are things wrong in your system. Copper should not be hard to control nor is it hard to get to the right level. It should have no effect on the clarity of your water. And the fact that you say it did help clarify the water indicates to me that the water originally was not clear. Which you had not mentioned before. What other things might be wrong, gone unmentioned, I don't know.

Although these things indicate things are or are going wrong with your system and, quite frankly, they are beyond me. If I were there I would probably see some things that are not quite right, however you are in a foreign country where water and other things are different.

What is the name of the medication you are using? If you are using Cupramine as you previously indicated, then it should have absolutely no effect on water clarity.

What is in your tank right now you're treating? List not only fish but every single item (living, dead, equipment, etc.) inside the tank? List everything that comes in contact with your tank water. When you make up fresh salt water, is that water crystal clear?

Jetbkk

Things are no doubt wrong, but I'm trying my best. At least I seemed to have stopped the cycle of death for now, so that indicates a positive change (to me at least).

The water is definitely more clear after using the copper. It wasn't always unclear, but it progressively got unclear, even with the frequent water changes. There tended to be crap building up on the glass very easily. Now it is looking fine. Same water, same salt, same everything -- only the addition of the copper.

I am not using Cupramine. It was my intention to use Cupramine, but the shop didn't have it in stock. The other shops mostly had unbranded copper powder, which I was not comfortable using. I went to the most high end shop in Bangkok, that sells the most expensive of everything and they had something that they said was the same as Cupramine that they buy in bulk from the US and repackaged -- again I didn't like the sound of that but I had no choice. He told me to dose one drop per 10 liters. However that is obviously wrong because i have 100 liters and 30 drops didn't register yet on the test kit (if i test with a small amount of water, the test kit shows copper so it must be a very weak solution). I will continue to keep adding it until a get readings on the tank ( i don't know what else to do, frankly). At least the fish are looking better, eating, and the cycle of death has stopped (or paused). It is definitely frustrating to me not at least having Cupramine so I could be more comfortable with the proper dosing levels.

leebca

I can imagine your frustration. Like mine, there seems to be so many variables that are not being controlled or can't be controlled. You do the best you can.

In general, from the information you've provided in this thread, the quality of the products there in Thailand are below the quality of products we use here. Hard to troubleshoot problems when sometimes the basics (like the kind of salt being used) is one of the possible problems.

You are certainly one of the above average hobbyists there in Thailand, although you are facing these kinds of drawbacks. Your efforts to improve the life of your fishes is commendable. A lot can be accomplished through good water quality and foods, so don't give up on seeking the best of both.

I spent a month in Thailand back in 1998, but never thought of looking for marine fish outlets. Never even came across a pet store.

Jetbkk

Thanks Lee, I appreciate your comments.

Thailand (and Bangkok in particular) has changed a lot since 1998. In a lot of ways it is a very modern place now, but you still have the "old Asia" aspect as well. You can usually buy most things here, but there are exceptions. High end aquarium equipment can be had, but the prices are really high. There are some great tanks here, and some people seem to know what they are doing, but there are plenty that don't have a clue too. The shop where I bought the copper has all the best gear and chemicals. They have a really nice display tank as well with a ton of fish in it. When I asked him if he QT's his fish, the owner just laughed and said "no, but I look at fish very closely before I buy them". So even the guy selling all the best stuff pays no attention to something like QT'ing fish, and he has like 4 Achilles Tangs, a dozen Bartlett's Anthias, and many other expensive fish, so he is risking a lot of money doing that!

I think for the most part Bangkok is an ok place to be in this hobby, but you need to pay more attention to basic things here than in the US. If you ever come out here again, head to Chatuchak market and you can see probably 25 marine fish outlets.

One of the shops is supposed to get Cupramine in this week so I will hopefully be able to get my hands on some of that.

Jetbkk

Ok I completed 3 weeks of copper treatment - a week of the no brand copper which was too weak and didn't register and then 2 full weeks with Cupramine which went very well.

No more fish died since starting copper.

I've done some big water changes and started using carbon which has eliminated most of the copper. All 4 of the fish look great now so I will do a couple more weeks to safe then put them in the DT (which goes out of fallow on the 9th).

Too bad I never confirmed what actually killed the other 24 fish. Hypo didn't work out well for me but Cupramine did!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Yea, thats the problem with deseases in an enclosed system, ie aquaria. THey hit and spread fast, and by the time you notice, its already infected most of your livestock. My suggestion is to QT all new fish/corals u introduce for at least 4 weeks before they even see the inside of the DT. I Did not, and an ich infection wiped out every fish in my tank before i realized what was happening. Now i know better. Any off the shelf 20-35g kit works as a QT/HT. THe power filter has carbon(taken out when treating meds that specify no carbon), the heaters are the right size, and the fish dont care what lights u use. For corals, i do FW dips and they stay in the QT under Halide lights for 2 weeks...more FW dips, and then into the DT.

A QT is your best defense against desease in your DT. Know it, use it. I Feel for ya man, we've all been there.

lbiminiblue

As some of you that follow my tank chronicle might know, I was just on holiday in Bali/Komodo and found out from my niece who was watching my tank that the fish are sick. Several of my favorite fish have died over the last week --- Harlequin Tusk, Yellow Tang, and many of my Anthias (especially Bartlett's). I just got home and as it is night time most of the wrasses and other fish are hiding under the sand so it is hard to assess just how bad things are --- however what I can see is looking pretty grim.

My Hippo Tang is really having a tough time. My first thought was to just flush him, but he is actually swimming around fine but is clearly annoyed and having a very hard time with white spots or Ich, etc. Here is a photo. Could any of you let me know what you think it is and what I should do about this? I can see that my clownfish are looking normal, so they haven't been affected (yet). The rest I can appraise in the morning.

I don't have a QT tank, so that complicates things. Is this disease in the water, or is it passed from fish to fish?

Thanks for any thoughts on what to do. In 2 years I've never had any disease problem at all and this time I have been absolutely slammed by it.

sick_taNG.jpg
HOLY COW is that a serious case of ich. That disease will quickly take over fish. The disease lives on fish as trophonts, i believe, then fall off into the sand bed, then hatch and swim around till they find a host. So they're both in the water and sand and the fish. Is your tang still eating? You really need to bolster his immune system if you want him to get out alive. If not, try garlic foods, his favorite foods, and if he doesn't eat, i would say try to cure the ICH as fast as possible. I would get a copper treatment for him like coppersafe.