Show Refugium

DSophia

I'm an architect that recently warmed up to the idea of designing and building aquariums. Here are a few pictures of my latest project from design and prototype to completion. It's an 8gal refugium that gravity feeds back to a 34gal cube DT.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-26%2Bat%2B8.54.48%2BPM.png

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4381.JPG

MgdDjWKqBE4x-oaes7Z8jhsT1Kt2UYCf_bnylUdovHs=w1760-h1026-no

DSophia

I designed and built this myself because I couldn't find anything on the market even close to what I was looking for. Although I'm very happy with how it turned out and the macro seem to agree.

The inlet is split to both side chambers and then angled down to create even flow and mixture. Then pours evenly over the inner panels and falls toward the back corners about half an inch which creates just the right amount of rolling current for what I wanted to grow. This also evenly circulates the water to the bottom and back up towards the drain. The drain is a 5" slit in the center back of the tank that drains to a box and 3/4" tubing that dumps back into the DT. I designed the drain last, I wanted it to be silent and efficiently skim the surface water. It was kind of a gamble but works beautifully.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In your Sketch there is an additional platform/shelf/slot on the left beside the return. What is that for?

Very sharp looking design and layout.

jkef2010

That's an awesome fuge. Brilliantly executed design. I'm sure if you made a few spare you could sell them and get a good chunk seeing how's I've never seen anything like it. Very unique

DSophia

@BigAl
You might be looking at the handle for the lid. Otherwise it's the second inlet chamber. Thanks everyone! I had thought about making a few extra to help offset the cost of our addiction... I mean hobby

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
@BigAl
You might be looking at the handle for the lid. Otherwise it's the second inlet chamber. Thanks everyone! I had thought about making a few extra to help offset the cost of our addiction... I mean hobby

I'm with Choff. It looks like I was looking at the lid lift handle. My bad LOL!

DSophia

I've been looking for a branching macro algae (like rhodopeltis) for the fuge. Let me know if You have any leads.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
This is a really nice project.....how is it running now? Any benefits over a traditional "box"?

sirrealism

Thats fantastic. Looks great. I would love to see a big display tank set up like that. Something like 6' 150g. I made a post in your other thread before seeing this one where i suggested you do something to feed your mandarin. If you could get a good supply of pods to get you started the fug would help keep there population up for the mandarin.

DSophia

Sorry guys, I don't get notifications on here.
The DT and fuge are running like a dream. Pods, feather dusters, and stomatella snails are reproducing daily but arent over populating the DT because of the drain design.

That mandarin goby is the sole reason I decided to build this thing, lol. While it was establishing he got a little thin, but is now fatter than my valentini puffer. I've also thrown a few SPS in the DT a few weeks ago that are doing great. I've noticed the efficiency of a refugium on a system largely impacts the DT. My tank is only three months old and is behaving like its been years.

Thanks for checking in!