Should I Pull Out The Ceramic Rings?????

dmyers557

I've had my ceramic rings in for 2 years now. I clean it every month or 2. I cant take out 1/2 then 1/2 again. Should I just pull them all out at once or leave them be? I really don't want them in as they don't do much good from what I hear. I am running the Tunze 9002 skimmer with StevieT media rack. Have Chemipure Elite and Purigen in so I think I will be fine. PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS!!!!

Shamus

I pulled mine out after a month or two but had a light bio-load (I think I pulled them out when the only fish in my tank were my two clowns). I would think that you have enough bio-filtration with your rock and sand to pull them all out but understand that taking them out a bit at a time minimizes any radical changes in the tank. How do you rinse them off - is it RO or saltwater? I wonder how much they are adding to your filtration...I'm sure experts will chime in as well.

dmyers557

I rinse them off in the dirty water I take out during a water change. I cant take them out 1/2 at a time because I dont have the bag to do it.

Bobi1956

With the amount of live rock you have I wouldn't think pulling all out at once should/would be an issue, however if it makes you feel more at east do it 1/2 at a time - just get them out !!!! LOL

Shamus

I also would think you could pick up a media bag at your LFS to hold half of the ceramic media if you wanted to do half at a time (I've seen the Seachem media bag on sale at my LFS).

TheWeaz

same here. your tank should be established and you should be able to get those out. I pulled mine out after the first couple of months.

dankent

You have 40lbs of live rock ... you clean them every month or two so really your kinda taking them out allready .... remove the whole thing you may have a mini cycle but at 2 years your rock is probably well able to deal with it and you probably wont see a thing. Make sure you test your params before .. then a couple days after to make sure there isnt any swings going on. If there is small WC's should put you back on track if needed.

Rob Long

I've had my ceramic rings in for 2 years now. I clean it every month or 2. I cant take out 1/2 then 1/2 again. Should I just pull them all out at once or leave them be? I really don't want them in as they don't do much good from what I hear. I am running the Tunze 9002 skimmer with StevieT media rack. Have Chemipure Elite and Purigen in so I think I will be fine. PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS!!!!

Hi Mate,
I found that having the ceramics in the back just caused me head aches so I removed all the media in the back,I cut the black sponge in half as this increased flow but still removed the large solids,this also helped manage the water level in the rear chamber.I have the weir at the lowest position so the water is topped up in the back(much easier).The result of having no media in the back is that there's no detius build up so nothing to clean out,I have better flow so the skimmer works better and the filtering is done by the LR.
I do have an external Eheim cannister filter but its just for the Rowa media's which is very easy to maintain all the stock is thriving and i'm very pleased with the results.
All these things are a matter of opinion and choice so make up your mind and learn as you go,all systems react differently and have differing perameters.
Rob.