Should I be freaked out or excited?

greneis7

Hello everyone! This is my first post and it's not going to be a very clear one -sorry.
I had the lights out for awhile and turned them on just to see what I could see, and this very thin, red, tenticle-like thing with soft lookiing prickles was poking out of the rock. Maybe like two centimeters long? But quickly pulled back in. I waited a while turned on the lights and tried to snap a picture, but it is too fast and too tiny.
Brittle Sea Star?
Not sure if I should be worried or grateful for the gift?
Okay, twenty minutes later it has come out a little further. It appears to be striped... there was the red section, a small white section, and now a purply/black section.

greneis7

Not sure what I did there. Didn't mean to post that multiple times. I'm reading more and maybe they aren't totally bad? Do I need to get it out?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I think they are a good thing so long as you don't accidentally grab one :( others may disagree but I feel they are beneficial.

The only time I remove them is if they seem to be over population or they are over 3-4" and then I don't go out of my way just wait till the opportunity arises to snatch them out with long tweezers :)

molsen187

most people look at bristle worms as beneficial to the tank. i agree as long as the population is kept in check. they are good at cleaning up extra food. their population will ebb and flow depending on how much extra food there is too eat.

greneis7

So I called my guy at the store, told him what happened and he suggested I get it out asap.
He had me try taking out the rock I saw the bugger on and putting it in scalding water to try to flush him out. Well, he must have moved and now I killed all the bacteria on that rock. =(
Now he suggested an arrow crab. Eventually I want to do corals. Is an arrow going to be okay in there?

greneis7

Thank you for that link... I went and clicked on all of the other attached to that one as well. Still not sure what to do here. I know that I EVENTUALLY wanted to add a sixline wrasse to my tank, but I had planned on waiting for him to be one of the last additions because of everything I read on them.

greneis7

So why did the LFS dude tell me to get it out right away? I am sick about the bacteria loss on the rock, and very glad it was just one piece that I "treated".

greneis7

Thanks Glenn. I think I'm just going to chill about the worm and hope for the best.
I clicked on your site, do you have more recent pics? We have the same size tank and I'm still looking for ideas. You have four fish? Would you consider putting more in there, or does that seem like the max?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here a full tank shot from last Saturday :)

IMG_0919new.jpg

Fish = bio-load, I might could add one more small one...

Angel Fin

I have a few in my tank too! They have not presented any problem & they seem to be fairly slow growing probably because my six line wrasse is doing his job!! However, my six line IS very aggressive toward new additions to the tank's fish community......I do support your decision to make one a late rather than early addition. I do love mine though......he's VERY beautiful & it's very entertaining to watch him play in the current!

greneis7

Thanks! I think they are really pretty! I think he might be a ways off though... just getting started here, and I've heard many bully stories about them if there are additions after. =)

tnwillia

Jen, I get 99.9% of my advice on good/bad or anything about tanks right here. Most LFSs want to sell you something. My LFS is pretty good but I still look here before I spend my money. Go slow on your tank, the life on your rock will be regenerated in your tank. Good luck!