Should I Be Concerned?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If Ur naso doesn't eat it all buy another tang.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

So its a good thing? Boy i can hear you guys laughing at me from all the way from nj.
I just grab a piece once in a while from my fuge and toss it in the tank.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think sas n I agree it's good food for tangs. However it can go asexual n take over a tank. Now I'm of the opinion as long as it's food ur cool.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I mean other then me grabing a clump and planting it in the display is their any other way enough of it can get into the display and create an issue?

Luukosian

If you have a tang that eats it then it might not be as big a problem as I had with it. It was an issue because my tank at the time was too small to support any large fish so it grew uncontrolled.(and I'll admit probably some lack of maintenance due to long hours at work)

That being said I am always careful not to introduce any type of caulerpa into my system now.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
don't be silly Bear your asking the right questions!

UGGGHHH! At one point ONE thing i do will be the right correct.

If you have a tang that eats it then it might not be as big a problem as I had with it. It was an issue because my tank at the time was too small to support any large fish so it grew uncontrolled.(and I'll admit probably some lack of maintenance due to long hours at work)

That being said I am always careful not to introduce any type of caulerpa into my system now.

lol yeah and in the land of the mighty nano's thats where its at

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Their, are you happy now? I took it out.:)

LFS guy has this stuff by the truck load in a pretty decent size display. Yet for better then 3 weeks now i cant get the guy to get me some cheato and pods...

PIMPALA

I've grown three different types of caluerpa in my fuges since I started SW. It's an awesome export, and I've never had any get from my fuge to the display and cause any issues. It does grow really fast, and does need trimming quite often. I also grow chaeto in a tumbling ball... But holy cow does it grow slow. REAL slow. Seems like almost a waste of space to me.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

Another good read...Thanks again Steve!

So after reading both articles and then doing another test at around 12:30 last night. My numbers are as follow. Ammonia = 1 / No2 = 2 / No3 = 20 or a little more depending on who's eys are matching the color.

The article said to never let your No3 go above 20. So should I consider a water change for the weekend at this point?

steved13

PREMIUM
From what I hear most don't worry about the Nitrate, until the Ammonia and Nitrite have risen and fallen to 0. Then water changes to lower the nitrates.

You can do water changes during the cycle, some say it will lengthen the cycling time, I've always waited util the cycle was done.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
From what I hear most don't worry about the Nitrate, until the Ammonia and Nitrite have risen and fallen to 0. Then water changes to lower the nitrates.

You can do water changes during the cycle, some say it will lengthen the cycling time, I've always waited util the cycle was done.

Fair enough....More salt for me then.

Mark

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
debatable point, generally when ammonia and nitrite hit 0 we address the nitrates with water changes, low nitrates are more or less harmless, they will fuel algae growth but to stop that you need to be way down the nitrate scale, with what your doing now cycling and building your bacterial colony you will have nitrates bouncing up and down

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
So I just did a test and all levels are 00000000000000000 in the 150! Now what?

Before I go any further the one thing I need to address is that in both fuge's everything is completely covered in
cyno. The main tank (150) lights have been off since I installed them in fear of a complete tank full.

In my smaller tank I couldn’t ask for clearer water quality and there is a little algae on the glass and rocks but nothing I’m tremendously concerned about. In fact I just noticed the beginnings of coralline algae just starting to grow for the first time in that tank. The levels in that tank are all at 0 and all water being added to either tank is all rodi. HELP!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well there's 2 things going on. First. Add Ur clown fish. 2 address lighting. Incorrect spectrum lighting causes cyano algae. Give er he'll bear!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well there's 2 things going on. First. Add Ur clown fish. 2 address lighting. Incorrect spectrum lighting causes cyano algae. Give er he'll bear!

Both have 65k bulbs on them and i thought that was the correct light..no?
As far as clowns go i have 2 maroon that all of a sudden the male looks like he has decided to begin a family. And i also have a single yellow clown. Should i just add the yellow and see if the maroon has it in him?