Should I Be Concerned?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It seems that all most of my greens are covered with algae. Weird though, because most of it is covered completely to the point where it just looks like the bad stuff and some parts are not even touched at all and are as green as can be?

Is this going to kill my plants?

DanSReef

Looks like you have a cyno bacteria outbreak. Questions to answer: a) what are your water parameters b) what size of tank and type of lighting c) what kind of flow do you have d) how often do you do water changes....and from what source do you get your salt water mix....and what source do you get your top off water... e) are you running any carbon, GFO.... ChemPure???

I would start with answering these questions as fully as you can. From there...the experts on the board can help you with some suggested changes and improvements.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Looks like you have a cyno bacteria outbreak. Questions to answer: a) what are your water parameters Brand new setup just started cycle on Sunday after adding 150lbs of dry rock from BRS. Currently Ammonia 1 No2 .75 No3 20 b) what size of tank 150 and type of lighting leds AI Tank lights completely off since Sunday. This is in the fuge. 65K energy bulb. c) what kind of flow do you have Again in the fuge roughly 750 gph d) how often do you do water changes.... New cycle have not changed any water as of Sunday. and from what source do you get your salt water mix....and what source do you get your top off water... Tank was filled with a RO unit but no DI and I'm pretty sure the unit could have used a filter change before filling. Since then a new rodi has been purchased and is currently being used for top off and future water changes. Mixing my own. e) are you running any carbon, GFO.... ChemPure??? No GFO No ChemPure. The only carbon I used was in a Hot magnum right after the rock work was completed to help clear the tank. Not running any currently.

I was considering a Phosphate reactor possibly but I do not currently own one.
I would start with answering these questions as fully as you can. From there...the experts on the board can help you with some suggested changes and improvements.

Just to clarify on the lights. I have not turned the lights on in the tank for any length of time for the simple reason that I don't want the entire tank full of this.

steved13

PREMIUM
To answer your "title question"...no.

While a tank is new and cycling you might see all kinds of outbreaks. Your goal is to provide food for all the bad stuff, which will encourage the development of the beneficial bacteria you need for your filtration. At this point you want to monitor the parameters and let it do it's thing.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah you should be fine. While your tank is cycling I wouldn't put anything in it that you care about as it will most likley suffer until the tank balances out. As steve said, feed the big nasty now so that it sets your bacteria up nice and solid.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
To answer your "title question"...no.

While a tank is new and cycling you might see all kinds of outbreaks. Your goal is to provide food for all the bad stuff, which will encourage the development of the beneficial bacteria you need for your filtration. At this point you want to monitor the parameters and let it do it's thing.

Will it kill my greens?

Also at what point should I start doing water changes?

steved13

PREMIUM
My guess is it will kill your "greens" although some my survive, and some may grow back.

At this point they are all competing for the same things, and you've got it all in abundance (as it should be when cycling). As Brian said, anything in the tank is not likely to survive. The cyano, and other micro algae will probably starve out the "greens".

Most don't do any water changes until the ammonia rises and falls, followed by the nitrites rising and falling, and then the nitrates rise, and water changes, reduce the nitrates.

Here is a good thread to read, to fill you in on the cycling process.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My guess is it will kill your "greens" although some my survive, and some may grow back.

At this point they are all competing for the same things, and you've got it all in abundance (as it should be when cycling). As Brian said, anything in the tank is not likely to survive. The cyano, and other micro algae will probably starve out the "greens".

Most don't do any water changes until the ammonia rises and falls, followed by the nitrites rising and falling, and then the nitrates rise, and water changes, reduce the nitrates.

Here is a good thread to read, to fill you in on the cycling process.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

Thank You Sir!

DanSReef

Totally agree with the follow up posters. Not knowing how old your tanks was...and all of the details you provided... it would be a total guess on mine or anyone's part to tell you anything of value. What you are getting is totally natural...as the other responders have posted. Just let things take their course. You will most likely see it get worse before it gets better.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What a great helpful thread. Everybody is spot on. This crazy algae cycle keeps up for 6-9 months constantly changing too. Get used to it. When in doubt, syphon n wc. Keep at it bear!

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What is kinda neat is the fact that every day it seems that bunches just seem to be busting through the algea even though most of the plant is covered from the snad up. She's a fighter!
Also it looks like the roots are growing through the sand and again new bunches are sprouting up.

I can't remember what this stuff is called but it looks like bunches of tiny grapes on a vine. I say a picture and the name online last week but for the life of me I can't find it again. I'll find it eventually and hopefully she keeps going.

I just received 1 of my new Sicce HP4000 today and boy is it a bad powerhead. Can't wait to see both of them in action together.

Luukosian

It's grape caulerpa and I would get it out of there asap. I fought that stuff for a year(finally got it all), it seems to grow about as fast as you can pull it out even with very low nutrients.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Pull it out? Really? It is only in my fuge and I have it in both my 150 and my 56. My Naso LOVES the stuff.

Why don't I want it to grow like crazy? This is all new to me so forgive me if I'm a little slow...:)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
If Ur naso doesn't eat it all buy another tang.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
grape caulerpa is an excellent addition to your fuge with a few side notes. It will go sexual if its not harvested!, if your not harvesting your not exporting nutrients (exporting is the only reason to have it). if it starts to turn white when the lights are on pull some out.
It is very fast growing and if it gets in your display... good luck getting it out.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If Ur naso doesn't eat it all buy another tang.

So its a good thing? Boy i can hear you guys laughing at me from all the way from nj.
I just grab a piece once in a while from my fuge and toss it in the tank.