Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

In the meantime here’s a fish picture

View attachment 49664
I'm going to urge you to adopt a policy similar to mine where you try to avoid buying a single type of fish. For example, the Female Leopard Wrasse is a favorite and very beautiful, but it would look even better with a Male/Female pairing.Don't have just the one Regal Tang, have two or three! A Royal Gramma on it's own is nice, but two or three together look spectacular ! These are just examples. I'm aware that it is not always possible to pair up fish, but in our hobby we tend to get 'one of these and one of those' when the fish may actually be happier with 'one of their own kind' to hang about with.
Just another one of my blonde observations :)

SPR

I'm going to urge you to adopt a policy similar to mine where you try to avoid buying a single type of fish. For example, the Female Leopard Wrasse is a favorite and very beautiful, but it would look even better with a Male/Female pairing.Don't have just the one Regal Tang, have two or three! A Royal Gramma on it's own is nice, but two or three together look spectacular ! These are just examples. I'm aware that it is not always possible to pair up fish, but in our hobby we tend to get 'one of these and one of those' when the fish may actually be happier with 'one of their own kind' to hang about with.
Just another one of my blonde observations :)
Are you familiar with the term 'shoals' ?

Im going for shoals darling shoals! lol

Yellow tangs, anthias, all reef safe only I think.

SPR

I built the Clarisea SK5000 up yesterday which was fairly straightforward following the video on the DD web site.

It really is a quality piece of equipment and I might get one for the S650 depending on what I decide to do with it. It would just need a modification to the down pipe and I could add a gate valve as well and make that stupid adjustment valve on the back of the tank redundant by opening it fully and then using a new gate valve to control flow. I really don’t know why Red Sea haven’t redesigned that valve in the newer systems I really don’t.

The principal of how it works is pretty simple with the float switch triggering the motor to move

I’ve also got 2 spare XL fleeces for it.

In addition to building this, I had a completely new 150gpd RODI System arrive yesterday complete with 2 sets of floats valve and auto switch off systems for the RODI and saltwater tanks.

IMG_0681.JPGIMG_0682.JPGIMG_0683.JPG

Nobbygas

I'm interested in the Clarisea. I do realise that adjustments have to be made to fit it in the S-650, so I shall follow your mishaps, I mean adventure, with interest.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Are you familiar with the term 'shoals' ?

Im going for shoals darling shoals! lol

Yellow tangs, anthias, all reef safe only I think.
Reef safe is a funny expression isn't it. Surely, all fish are reef safe, it just depends what reef you have.
However, if you follow this policy then you won't be able to have some of 'the big ones'. No Angels for example and certainly no Greenback Turtles. Despite being everyones favourite, Turtles in fact eat huge chunks of corals with their tough beaks. That's true that is.

SPR

I'm interested in the Clarisea. I do realise that adjustments have to be made to fit it in the S-650, so I shall follow your mishaps, I mean adventure, with interest.
Actually it would be very straightforward especially now I am an expert on aquarium plumbing parts (he says confidently...! Lol)

You could leave the emergency down pipe in place, and then just cut the main return pipe below were it comes through, and attach a gate valve with union connectors.

The Clarisea SK3000 would be fine for the S Series and I think the best place would be were we either have the skimmers, if it fits, or in the left hand chamber. You just plumb the pipes in, diverted to were the Clarisea is going and that’s it. Fairly simple really.

Reef safe means no large Angel fish apart from the Emperor who is so beautiful he deserves a place at the ‘table’. The Blue faced is not going to a bigger home. It was quiet funny, yesterday I got my little net out and thought I’ll see if I can catch him. No chance. They all darted for cover especially the Blue Face!! I have my fish trap at hand so at some point will put it in the tank and use patience and cunning to remove them by only adding food to the trap once they get used to it. I WILL win, or go mad!

Nobbygas

What about my mild green fairy liquid soft hands? You expect ME to do all that?
"then just cut the main return pipe" - That, right there, brings on heart palpitations !

SPR

What about my mild green fairy liquid soft hands? You expect ME to do all that?
"then just cut the main return pipe" - That, right there, brings on heart palpitations !
I know, but once you’ve seen plumbing parts it would all become very clear. I have a box I’m currently playing with.

Basically you would dry fit the plumbing (no glue) and design were everything was going to fit. I would then glue all that plumbing together and leave to dry so the only bit to connect would be to the cut downpipe which you could do the next day, when feeling ‘confident’

The cutting of the downpipe would be the last job to connect it to the clarisea plumbing which would take minutes and the glue dries very quickly. I’ve got Tangit from Charterhouse.

SPR

This is the shed to house my water containers and chiller which I’ll order in a week or so. When built it will be fully insulated and have an electric greenhouse heater on standby for winter set on automatic if the temperature drops

https://www.sheds.co.uk/garden-shed...6-x-3-skylight-plastic-olive-green-shed.html#

And these will be the water containers. They have a nice big lid to fit circulation pumps in for the new saltwater and also make cleaning easy if need be. It will be undrilled so no outlet

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/wate...e-water-tanks/425-litre-round-water-tank.html

SPR

It's quiet my end. I have to fly back to Blighty next weekend for my sister's 50th Wedding Anniversary, so the tank has to take a back seat for a couple of weeks.

Did you lose many balls in Spain?
No I haven’t played yet though! Lol

I thought I’d have a break this week from it and just sit on my bottom and consume my body weight in beer. Which so far I am managing quite well!