Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Does it really matters not to know every coral and fish name?

I don’t think so.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it doesn’t matter at all or affect the tank.

I know that for sure because apart from the flipping pulsing Xenia (which I’m going to cull!) that’s about the only name I remember. Oh and spiky Pectinia. I remember that because of the price!

Nobbygas

No it doesn’t matter at all or affect the tank.

I know that for sure because apart from the flipping pulsing Xenia (which I’m going to cull!) that’s about the only name I remember. Oh and spiky Pectinia. I remember that because of the price!
In the past, when I had a small Nano, I had an outbreak of Aps, and to eat the Aps I bought a Filefish. Ugly looking buggers, but then again, I'm no oil painting ! He ate all the Aps......and when he was finished with them, he ate the Pulsing Xenia. I'm not sure what else he would have eaten as then I took him out and returned him to the LFS. Could be an idea?

SPR

In the past, when I had a small Nano, I had an outbreak of Aps, and to eat the Aps I bought a Filefish. Ugly looking buggers, but then again, I'm no oil painting ! He ate all the Aps......and when he was finished with them, he ate the Pulsing Xenia. I'm not sure what else he would have eaten as then I took him out and returned him to the LFS. Could be an idea?
I’ve seen Filefish before and researched them, and they eat invertebrates so I generally think it would be a bad idea to add one to a full blown reef aquarium. It would be like sending it to a free buffet!

I’ve had my hand in the tank (with nitrile gloves) just now and pulled as much off as I can and any bits I couldn’t get off I’ve used the scissors on them and chopped them up and most has gone down the rear overflow into the filter socks. Most will lever off but some has itself locked into crevices.

It’s a very beautiful coral but it’s just too invasive and I find myself having to trim it back every 6 weeks or so.

I think I’ll go back to the LFS and see if I can get a nice coral on a rock to sit on top of the Xenia, preferably a Xenia stinging to death coral! Infact I shall research that now!

Nobbygas

I think the only option available to you is to remove the rock, microwave it, soak it in Agent Orange for six months and bury it about 100 miles from your house.

I do love Xenia though. It really is beautiful to see a huge colony in the wild.

Pancho75

This is the reason why a stayed away from adding a Pulsing Xenia, they are beautiful but can takeover the tank if we let them. Well.... I did added Green Star Polyps so I guess not so smart LOL. I have to trim the GSP islands every 2 or 3 months to avoid them to touch the rocks or the glass.

Now if I correctly remember you did say your wife likes the Pulsing Xenia, didn’t you? are you sure of what you are doing? LOL

Pat24601

I thought about adding Pulsing Xenia to my FOWLR kind of exactly for the reason that it grows like a weed and I'm not adding other corals since it isn't a reef safe tank. What do you guys think? Maybe my butterflies would eat them before they could grow. Not sure.

SPR

I've put two Starfish in my tank. Both disappeared within a week. Something/someone ate them I think. I would need Miss Marple to find out who though !
When I purchased some new corals the other day I also got 2 peppermint shrimps and a beautiful looking lobster. I haven’t seen any of them since, even when sneaking a look at night!

There hiding somewhere from me I think......

Nobbygas

Shrimp tend to this this, and this is why.......Quite often, the new environment is different in many ways to the environment they came from (Mag, Calc, Salinity etc etc), so, one of the first things they do in the first couple of days is to shed their skin (or whatever it is that covers them). This means, after shedding, their exterior is 'soft', so to protect themselves they hide away for a bit until they toughen up.
Or, if one of them has died, then the single Shrimp will hide away. They don't like being on their own. A single Shrimp will not be seen much.

As for the Lobster, he is just hiding.....waiting......holding his breath.......until you put your hand in the tank...then SNAP!!! There goes one of your fingers......or something like that. To avoid that I suggest that you always put both hands in the tank. One to fiddle with whatever it is you're fiddling with, and the other to hold a fork that you use to fend off the Lobster, like using a sword, Errol Flynn style. Best wear a mask and snorkel as well in case you topple over and go face first into the tank....and some rope around your ankles so your Wife can pull you back out again. Is it a nice Lobster?

SPR

Shrimp tend to this this, and this is why.......Quite often, the new environment is different in many ways to the environment they came from (Mag, Calc, Salinity etc etc), so, one of the first things they do in the first couple of days is to shed their skin (or whatever it is that covers them). This means, after shedding, their exterior is 'soft', so to protect themselves they hide away for a bit until they toughen up.
Or, if one of them has died, then the single Shrimp will hide away. They don't like being on their own. A single Shrimp will not be seen much.

As for the Lobster, he is just hiding.....waiting......holding his breath.......until you put your hand in the tank...then SNAP!!! There goes one of your fingers......or something like that. To avoid that I suggest that you always put both hands in the tank. One to fiddle with whatever it is you're fiddling with, and the other to hold a fork that you use to fend off the Lobster, like using a sword, Errol Flynn style. Best wear a mask and snorkel as well in case you topple over and go face first into the tank....and some rope around your ankles so your Wife can pull you back out again. Is it a nice Lobster?
Oh you are hilarious!! Lol

I don’t know if it’s a nice lobster or not as I’ve not seen it since I put it in! It’s maybe been in one of those restaurants we’re you choose the one you want and that why it’s now hiding!

SPR

Good pics Shaun! you have a ton of corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Pancho!

I know I have lots of corals because I’m now struggling to find somewhere to put my ‘spontaneous’ purchases! I’ve removed some of the pulsing Xenia so there is a bare batch at the moment so I’m going to get something to put over it at some point.

SPR

Is that a nice new Galaxia I see sat on the sand?
No, it’s what us marine aquarists commonly refer to as ‘a green un’! Lol

Yes it’s a Galaxia coral and i purchased it a few days ago during a spontaneous visit to the LFS. When I didn’t buy any fish!

It’s in the position it’s in because it has long tentacles which sting. I had it in the sand in the middle at the bottom and it started stinging everything, then I moved it higher towards the back, and it continued stinging, so it’s in isolation at the side we’re it can do less damage. It’s very beautiful and I can still see it from the reflection on the glass.