Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

You guys are way ahead of my and I already cleaned the downflow control valve!

Sorry I didn’t take any pics .

P.S. I want a Triggerfish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the downflow pipe needs regular cleaning so it’s time for another clean. This time please take many pictures and make detailed notes on how you do it.

Because that will help @Nobbygas and prevent me from having to buy a new tank when it stops working! Lol

Pancho75

Well the downflow pipe needs regular cleaning so it’s time for another clean. This time please take many pictures and make detailed notes on how you do it.

Because that will help @Nobbygas and prevent me from having to buy a new tank when it stops working! Lol
LOL! I think I will wait a while and then offer you little money for your tank as you will buy a new one! LOL!

Cleaning the downflow valve is fairly simple, the little space is the only inconvenient. Once you shut down the return pump, take out the 4 caps protecting the screws then take an the allen wrench, not the one it came with the tank, a smaller one as it will make it easier, take out the four screws. You will have to guide yourself touching the valve as sometimes is difficult to see what you do.

Before taking the valve out, observe the position as the valve only fits in one position. I cleaned it using ro/di water, no big deal. Put back the thing into position and screw it, again the little space is a small problem. I left about 10 cm between the wall and the aquarium (I think Red Sea recommended 15 cm but I did not like it).

No problema!

SPR

LOL! I think I will wait a while and then offer you little money for your tank as you will buy a new one! LOL!

Cleaning the downflow valve is fairly simple, the little space is the only inconvenient. Once you shut down the return pump, take out the 4 caps protecting the screws then take an the allen wrench, not the one it came with the tank, a smaller one as it will make it easier, take out the four screws. You will have to guide yourself touching the valve as sometimes is difficult to see what you do.

Before taking the valve out, observe the position as the valve only fits in one position. I cleaned it using ro/di water, no big deal. Put back the thing into position and screw it, again the little space is a small problem. I left about 10 cm between the wall and the aquarium (I think Red Sea recommended 15 cm but I did not like it).

No problema!

Thanks Pancho. Do you turn left, or right when you board a plane, bound for the U.K! Lol

If you look at the build video 3 of the following around 1.45mins he shows you how to do it, I knew I had seen it. It looks fairly straightforward to be honest.

https://www.redseafish.com/videos/#prettyPhoto

On the basis it’s working, and with the saying ‘if it ain’t broke....’ I think I’ll just leave it. Until I need to address it.

And then I’ll buy a new tank! Lol

Last edited:

Nobbygas

You're not using a Samsung Galaxy S5 are you? I am going to have to get into this new fangled photography lark.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

You're not using a Samsung Galaxy S5 are you? I am going to have to get into this new fangled photography lark.
Thanks Pat, Nobbygas, Pancho!

No it’s not a phone. Let’s just say I’ve upgraded my photography equipment somewhat to a Canon EOS 750D.

Apart from taking better photos of the tank (yes sad I know but...) I’m going to the Galápagos Islands next year so wanted some proper equipment and this replaces the 400D I’ve had for about 12 years when I toured around the USA sat in its case! Lol.

I think you can tell the difference in quality from the above and these were the first time I’ve tried it out so I’m currently studying photography in addition to being a marine aquarist! Lol

The way things have advanced is incredible as with all things.

Pat24601

Cool!

I just got a Canon t7i over Christmas. I seriously considered the 750D. Ultimately, the only real reason I went with the t7i was my previous camera was a t4i and I liked it, which isn't a terribly good reason. They are both great camera's though!!!

It really takes MUCH better pictures than a phone...particularly of the fish tank. Whether or not that's really worth the extra $$$ is a different question and one which I choose not to think about.

Awesome camera!!! Have fun with it!

Last edited:

SPR

I have been counting the Lyretail Anthias over the last week and the missing ones have reappeared so I’m back to the original 7. Who knows were they have been but it was a larger pink one and a small orange one. Maybe they were spawning somewhere if pinker is male because I also have a larger pink one as well which is very dominant.

Here is a picture of my Spiny Pectinia coral:

7516840576_IMG_0121.JPG7516840576_IMG_0105.JPG

Pat24601

It's funny, because our tanks are not that big, but sometimes fish can hide and no matter how hard you look you can't spot them.

No kidding. I had a fish a couple weeks ago I literally thought was dead because I hadn’t seen him in a couple of weeks.

I then had to redo some rock work and I found him hiding. This is a flamehawk in a 30 gallon biocube!

SPR

LOL, does that mean my Coral Beauty could still be hiding...almost 9 months since I last saw him?

Pics look stunning as always Shaun.
Thanks Martin!

He could still be hiding your never know! Mine only comes out of hiding at certain times of day. Or when I introduce a new tank mate when he turns into a crazy bully!

But 9 months........