Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Pat24601

Holy crap. Why had I never heard this before?

I’ve never had palys because I knew they were poisonous and I have young children. But, the only incident like this I remember was when some guy literally boiled his live rock with palys on it and it poisoned his family. At least, that’s what I think I remember. Been years since I read it.

I didn’t know just taking the pulsing xenia out of the water was dangerous.

EDIT: I was reading some other boards and experienced reef keepers were deeply skeptical it was really the pulsing xenia that had palytoxin. They think the guy probably had some palys and misattributed where the toxin came from.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Holy crap. Why had I never heard this before?

I’ve never had palys because I knew they were poisonous and I have young children. But, the only incident like this I remember was when some guy literally boiled his live rock with palys on it and it poisoned his family. At least, that’s what I think I remember. Been years since I read it.

I didn’t know just taking the pulsing xenia out of the water was dangerous.

EDIT: I was reading some other boards and experienced reef keepers were deeply skeptical it was really the pulsing xenia that had palytoxin. They think the guy probably had some palys and misattributed where the toxin came from.
He must have taken some rock out of the tank and maybe tried to burn off the coral? Still, lessons to be learnt and all that.

Pat24601

How am I supposed to read that? Who do you think I am, Steven Hawking !

Ha! Yeah, no doubt. I tried to slog my way through it for a bit and then gave up. I'm even used to reading academia articles, but I guess my patience isn't as high when I really just want to know if I should keep a pulsing xenia or not. Palys are already off my list.

So, totally with you.

SPR

Anyway clearly I am far more educated that you lot!! Lol

I’ve read the article, well bits of it, and I can summarise as follows:

Cases of human poisonings ascribed to PLTXs (Palytoxin for you lot!) have been generally associated with four exposure routes: (i) oral exposure; (ii) cutaneous exposure; (iii) inhalational exposure; and (iv) ocular exposure.

So I would suggest to avoid said poisoning DO NOT do any of the following:

1. Never suck lick or generally eat any form of coral even the one called strawberry shortcake. It’s not real strawberry or a shortcake!

2. Do not play with corals like playdough in your bare hands, especially if you have nasty cuts and always wear gloves

3. No burning of corals (including microwave @Nobbygas !) or generally sniffing or trying to snort them or the vapours released like some form of crack addict

4. Do not use your tank water as an eye bath. Despite salt water having healing properties, as you can see from above that soothing eye wash can be very bad for you.

Stay safe people!

Pat24601

Cases of human poisonings ascribed to PLTXs (Palytoxin for you lot!) have been generally associated with four exposure routes: (i) oral exposure; (ii) cutaneous exposure; (iii) inhalational exposure; and (iv) ocular exposure.

1. Never suck lick or generally eat any form of coral even the one called strawberry shortcake. It’s not real strawberry or a shortcake!

2. Do not play with corals like playdough in your bare hands, especially if you have nasty cuts and always wear gloves

3. No burning of corals (including microwave @Nobbygas !) or generally sniffing or trying to snort them or the vapours released like some form of crack addict

4. Do not use your tank water as an eye bath. Despite salt water having healing properties, as you can see from above that soothing eye wash can be very bad for you.

Stay safe people!

Excellent job breaking it down for us dudes.

Nobbygas

Stay safe people!
This sounds as though you are talking from experience.

SPR

So here in the U.K. it was raining, again, so I couldn’t go hitting my little white ball ‘in all directions’ so decided I would do a 120 litre water change. And then I thought I’ll change the rear circulation vents, and then I thought I’ll change the main pump........

The reason you should change the rear vents on the S Series, is that if you don’t they get encrusted with Coraline algae and then they become a pain in the bottom to get out, especially when balancing on one leg on the plastic stool kindly provided by Red Sea to carry out such tasks!

They all came out easily apart from one! I had to get a spanner out to grip it. Have you ever considered how light diffraction affects attaching a spanner to a vent under water whilst balancing on one leg, trying not to fall off the stool and reaching into the depths of the back of the tank! I kept missing it all the time and it took me a good 10 minutes before I finally grabbed it!

Anyway a new set are in and the old ones are in a bucket of citric acid with the main pump and will stay there for a week or so soaking.

I’ve taken a picture of my spreadsheet I use for making notes of everything. Including now, changing the rear vents.

IMG_0235.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nobbygas

That is really interesting. I have a similar spreadsheet. I've noticed you have a target of 430 for Calc and 1310 for Mag. Is there any reason for this? The reason I ask is that I target 450 and 1350 as indicated in the Red Sea Recipe for mixed reef.
I mainly use the Aquarimate App for tracking maintenance work. This is useful as you don't have to physically look at the spreadsheet. You enter your maintenance schedule and it gives you a message via the App when maintenance is required. You can also include when you have added any new equipment, fish, corals etc, or made any changes. It does loads of things including graphs for the parameters etc. It's not free but I think it costs something like 7 quid (?). I highly recommend it.

Reactions: SPR

Pancho75

Really guys you don’t add Mg? I didn’t have to add the first 9 months but now I got to dose a little every month to keep it above 1300. I wonder why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

That is really interesting. I have a similar spreadsheet. I've noticed you have a target of 430 for Calc and 1310 for Mag. Is there any reason for this? The reason I ask is that I target 450 and 1350 as indicated in the Red Sea Recipe for mixed reef.
I mainly use the Aquarimate App for tracking maintenance work. This is useful as you don't have to physically look at the spreadsheet. You enter your maintenance schedule and it gives you a message via the App when maintenance is required. You can also include when you have added any new equipment, fish, corals etc, or made any changes. It does loads of things including graphs for the parameters etc. It's not free but I think it costs something like 7 quid (?). I highly recommend it.
I’ve looked at the Aquarimate but I use the Apex Fusion for this.

My targets are an amalgamation of the parameters between a mature ultra low nutrient system and mainly soft corals figures when I first started, but these have all changed on the Red Sea recipes.

I ran Accelerated Growth which was similar to their current mixed reef recipe with Alkalinity at 12.6dkh (now stated as 11.5) and although the corals grew like mad other things happened and I decided to drop to more ‘normal’ levels (due to hair algae outbreak with raised phosphate) and many corals prefer the lower Alkalinity of around 8.2.

The mixed reef recipe says phosphate of 0.8-0.12 but there is no way I would go that high again just from my own experience with hair algea when I followed Accelerated Growth program. The best thing I ever did was lock phosphate at 0-0.03ppm and I have zero algae, other than Coraline.

On the Mg I have periods were I dose it in small amounts, but the last test was 1600 so I’ve stopped. This must come from the salt during water changes. When I dose it’s minimal because it’s just always been on the high side, even though I now use the standard Red Sea salt not the Pro.

The figures are all within small % changes so I don’t think it’s makes much difference as long as they are relatively stable and the averages tracked by Apex are pretty much spot on target levels over a period.

My pH currently stays around 7.7 in the morning rising to 8 over the day every day (windows shut etc so more CO2) but although it’s less than the 8.2 target, it’s just a small % and could be test error on Apex. Whenever I do a manual test is 8.2 but again there are margins of error. Nothing is affected health wise.

I use the spread sheet to document when I’ve done things like cleaning pumps and dosing as time goes by and you forget how long it’s been. I record results but this is also tracked on Apex Fusion and I have a few basic reminders in there like coral colours dosing and filter socks changes, as again days fly by.