"Shamus' RSM130D Tank Thread"

catran

Wow, just found your thread. Awesome job! Those look really intense. What dimmable driver did you use that has sunrise/sunset built in?

Shamus

Thanks Terry, Cat, and Glenn!

Cat - the drivers are dimmable but don't have sunrise/sunset built in. I got a dimmable controller from RapidLED (the DDC-01) that has three daylight programs built in. The daylight programs ramp up and ramp down intensity at the beginning and end of the light cycle. It was a relatively cheap alternative to a controller.

Shamus

Not at all Glenn. This is a rough estimate, as I'm sure I'm missing something.

I bought the 24 x 3W LED system from RapidLED for $195, 4.25 x 16 heatsink for $25, dimmable controller for $59, moonlights for $19, another driver for $40 (due to my own screwup), and random accessories (wiring, timer, etc) probably cost ~$50. I'm sure I'm forgetting something :). So my estimate is about $400. Plus the time to do the project. Luckily I have a drill press (made drilling and tapping much easier) and access to a good soldering iron and solder which cut the cost a bit. Happy to give anyone a detailed breakdown if they need or want!