Shallow Rimless Build

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Why so shallow why not two foot deep?
I don't know, something about the slightly shallower look really appeals to me, anything less than 4' long or 3' square I would do 2ft deep but larger I would go a little shallower especially cube but then again I would definitely not complain about 2ft deep haha

Frankie

RS STAFF
Clean!
c2b526e3b2d15e710aef10653cf43bd5.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Still need to put the Zeo reactor back in.
Ordering the basic 4 Monday and getting it going.
I bought limo tint for the sides to block light. Will do that tonight. I didn't like my idea of painting the glass.
The tops for the sump I am working on now.
I need to silicone in glass tabs for it to rest on. It is also black to stop light. I am using 1/4" cast acrylic for that.
Anyone local to charleston sc? I am giving up my sea urchin. He is just to big for this tank.
Not posting it on Craigslist though. To many nuts out there!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well I had a small mishap I forgot to mention.
Friday night I noticed a small leak where the return pump (external) was leaking from the bulkhead thread. This was a problem because I would have to drain the sump to re tape the threads. Thought I could just loosen the bulkhead and turn it a bit to stop it. It was a very slow drip. One per two minutes about.
When I turned to bulkhead and held the pump steady the threads on the pump just snapped off! Now I had a problem. It was after 12 am, family was sleeping and all that was stopping 20 gallons of water from dumping from the sump was the palm of my hand.
I had my phone next to me so I texted my daughter to come quickly hoping she was awake.
(Don't dare wake the wife because of the aquarium. Learned that one long ago!)
She was up! My hero! Being the quick thinker she is she found a large cork in my shop and quickly brought it to me. Good thing too. I don't know how much longer I could stay in that position.
So the bulkhead was done with the threads stuck in it. I had a spare (glad I have a box of reef plumbing from over the years) changed it out yesterday and bought a new pump.
No Quietones in Charleston so I settled for a Sicca from the lfs. I have to say, it is even more quiet then the Quietone! Has a bit more flow also. I am happy.
7ab5abc05661e833e1c253873062b870.jpg
1557dfaba3a5c6ab9f73c9028a901859.jpg

StirCrayzy

Looks a lot like the quiet one 4000 housing, and same flow and wattage, I wonder if it's a joint manufacture pump with some subtle difference other than packaging??

Good thing you had your helper!

Frankie

RS STAFF
@Pat24601 no doubt! I am very proud of my daughter.

I placed my order this morning. I have on the way a full line of Elos test kits, new probe for my pinpoint ph monitor, 4 bags of zeolites, and the rest of the basic 4. Aquarium specialty .com is having a sale on zeovit so now is the time to over stock!
I also ordered Zeo carbon. I am big on Rox but want to check out the zeovit carbon. I hear good things about it.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Few goodies on their way then? lol Overstocking zeo is the best way to do it! I have 10 months worth of KZ carbon and some serious amount of everything else (2 years of start haha) in my cupboard haha I enjoy the KZ carbon though :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good to know Wrangy. This will be the first time I am using Zeo carbon.
Half the order came in today. Still waiting on the stones and start 3.
My daughter is having fun doing the number conversion for me. It was easier before with the old system because the water volume was over 300 with sump and plumbing. This time my total is just under 100. I was struggling with the math and my daughter who is an Einstein jumped in and saved me :)
Looks like this will be a great way to further my relationship with her. It's been testy since she turned 16 and found a boyfriend. But we have been making good progress the past month.

StirCrayzy

I do not envy those of you with daughters... Hats off to you.
That's gotta.be.the.toughest thing for a man to go.through.