Shallow Rimless Build

Squatch XXL

1557dfaba3a5c6ab9f73c9028a901859.jpg

Thank you for this photo. You have sealed the deal on my sump. You outline the pitfalls of having an external sump pump, but this can be a huge space saver with the right tank and baffles.

Squatch XXL

Yeah man. External also helps keep the heat of the pump out of the water.
This was my main reason for considering it, than I realized how much space it saves as well. If my math is correct, it will allow me to really size down my sump. I don't need a sump for volume or a refuge, just to hold the heater and a skimmer. Thanks again! (Tanks again)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Ok, finally got my start3 and zeolite. Tonight I will be starting.
Also, during my waiting I had a bryopsis outbreak. not sure how it got into the system. I haven't added anything new.
Either way it is there in a vengeance so, I bought Kent Tec M and will be raising my magnesium to kill it off. High levels of Mg++ stops the algae from being able to uptake nutrients, killing it off.

StirCrayzy

I was really surprised how much it took to raise the level to 1800, the first few doses (12oz each) barely did squat to the levels. Even though by calculation each dose should've raised by 100ppm .

Frankie

RS STAFF
A lot has happened with this tank. Sorry for the long absence, work has been crazy busy.
We relocated the tank to the living room. My wife wanted her dining room back. So i moved it and got her a new table. The table and chairs are a bit to formal for my taste but she is happy! ;)
The tank seems happier in the living room. Not so much sun light and the algae is coming under control.
It turns out that it was not bryopsis, just hair algae gone crazy. I have been doing the zeovit for two weeks now. Pulled most of the rock and Dori seems happier with all the swim room.
The system is gross volume 100 gallons.
I am using 1 liter of zeolites
4 drops Zeo food
4 drops bak
Just under 1 mil start 3
Carbon is Zeo carbon. I have it sitting on top of the stones.
Today I am changing the dosage since it's been two weeks.
I will post some pictures tonight. Nothing special yet. Just a few frags and scattered rocks.
I did build a simple auto top off to stabilize the salinity finally. Drilled out a 10 gallon, made a top for it and fed a line to an eshop float switch.
Happy Sunday everyone!

Squatch XXL

So I finally got a few hours to read this thread from start to finish.

Frankie, Your DIY is amazing. You have done what is my next plan for a tank. The experiences you provided will help me on a future build.....even if it is only as simple as re-caulking a failing tank seam.

This build thread is amazing.

Your sump cover looks similar to the one I keep meaning to make...though your sump is a little bit different than mine (much larger). I am holding off until I find out if I need a "real" skimmer or if the POS that I am using is enough for my livestock choices.

The table and chairs are a bit to formal for my taste but she is happy!
Not only are you great at DIY, you seem to have mastered some other rules of the universe. A happy wife allows for us menfolk to do all of our crazy glass boxes.

Fin

I am a noob to Reef Sanctuary and just found this thread. Great skills and the sump looks awesome. That's one heck of a frag tank! I freaked when the sump broke and then the pump. That's the kind of stuff that happens to me.

The only problem with DIY folks is - in a lot of cases - it is the part of the hobby that they enjoy the most. So, that means - nothing is ever done. Always another project to conquer! ;-)

I have a tank build coming up - whenever my tank gets built - and I may have picked up a few tricks from you. Threads like this definitely get the juices flowing. Great job and I look forward to following the progress here and with your upcoming display build.

Squatch XXL

The only problem with DIY folks is - in a lot of cases - it is the part of the hobby that they enjoy the most. So, that means - nothing is ever done. Always another project to conquer! ;-)

I have a tank build coming up - whenever my tank gets built - and I may have picked up a few tricks from you. Threads like this definitely get the juices flowing. Great job and I look forward to following the progress here and with your upcoming display build.
This is the truth. Knowing how much you save by DIY, justifies never stopping. I think its great to be able to see other DIY builds. The internet really helps push the boundaries of what really needs bought.

What DIY offers to me is a glimpse of the honest mistakes. The bottom glass breaking in the sump pretty much sealed the deal that I will always oversize my bottom panes....possibly even temper.

@Fin good luck on your upcoming build.

Thanks again Frankie!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks guys!
Sorry for the lack of replies. My company has been doing really well and I have been working long hours.
Finally got the new truck lettered up.
798c0533d6841e3dd11f94d53bbbfae6.jpg

Still battling with this stupid algae on the sand bed. Not to sure what it is. I need time to do some research.
I finally added an auto top off. I need to get some pictures up here. I will do it tonight after my water change. (Too embarrassing to share it now, need to clean the sand bed first!)

Squatch XXL

Sorry for the lack of replies.

I do like the van from that other post. I wanted to come here and see your fish tank. How is it?

Also your van was something I personally suggested for a family-mover a few years back, but my wife nixed that. Anyone with kids and a dog knows how important back seat space is......However, I guess if you are not married and have no kids, back seats have other uses. :adjoint:

I also got a chuckle of this rabbit hole. I am OBSESSED with hardwood floors. Our home has delightful oak that was installed in 1955, and was promptly covered over with carpet. Last year I bought the house from the original owner, and before the signing day was up, 100% of the hardwood was exposed AND in great shape mostly. I have a few spots that wore funny because of the bedrooms not having carpet (but the dining room did......yuck!). I looked at renting the equipment to do it, and realized that it did not need it yet, and that I probably would do more harm than good with some crazy walk behind sander.

I still have been planning on having my pump external to my sump, but I got lazy. I am planning out a 3'x2'x2' tank and will integrate it into the sump at that time. For mechanical reasons, I will probally put a union onto the intake and outtake with a valve or 2 for maintaining.....however, I don't know how much extra space that will use.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Frankie - here hoping life sorts to where you have more time posting on RS, great your business is thriving, you have a huge wealth of sw knowledge I know all the members would love for you to share !

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am looking for land to build a house on. Should happen this year.
The house will be built to accommodate a large aquarium of course ; )
Wife said I build a house and I can build any aquarium I want. I don't know if she understands what she said or not.....maybe.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk