Shallow Rimless Build

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Doni and Eric :) Hopefully next week I will have some time to start the skimmer build.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Frankie that looks SWEET! That makes me want to build a new house NOW just so I can have new hard wood floors.

Is that 2 1/4" White Oak? (#1 or Select or . . .)?

I love the inset registers. They really do add a touch of class to a HW job.

Stairs and railings look SWEET!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Al. The flooring is #1 red oak. Not so popular down here in the south as it is up north. Actually I am starting an install of the same material tomorrow. (my poor back!)
I will post some pictures of the end result on Wednesday when I am finished with the one above. Maybe I should start an OT thread on my work. I do get some very interesting jobs in some very interesting places here in Charleston.

Rhodes19

Frank,

That is absolutely beautiful. Very nice job and craftsmanship. I like how the registers blend in and the color of the stain. Let me know if you need help with your back. I'm sure I have a rack around here somewhere. LOL :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ahh yes. I do see it's Red Oak . We have both here in stock and sell literally truck loads of it at a time in a GOOD economy. After looking back I can see a couple of knots and I should have known #1 (in case someone is wondering our SELECT grade has ZERO knots)

I think starting a thread specifically for this is a GREAT idea! I love wood work even though it's not MY thang (if you can't program it and plug it into the wall I'm lost . . .)

1Reefer

Another amazing build here on RS, great work frankie! From the plans on the first page this looks like you'll be able to veiw from three panels and the top?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sorry everyone to disappoint. Work has been a bit overwhelming for me and I have not had the time to work on the build.
I have been thinking on it though. I am considering building another sump but this time out of 3/8" or 1/2" glass.
The one I built on the last page is fine, just worried about the long term durability. Doing the zeovit method is a bit aggressive when you agitate the stones in the reactor. I am not too sure the sump I built will hold up over time.
Also I tend to be aggressive when it comes to keeping equipment clean. A good glass sump will stand up to my husbandry.
If I change it I will post pic's of the build in better detail this time and how I would go about building a glass tank or sump. I have been getting a lot of PM's from people wanting to build a tank and it would be good to have a detailed thread on how to build one.
I may start on the stand frame this week depending on my schedule. Hang in there!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello? Am I the only one left here?

Seems that way.:scram:
LOL! Sorry Paul, work has been overwhelming and I have not had the time to put into the build yet.
Just an update, the tank is up and running in my office here filled with LR and Petie my damsel still. Petie looks very happy having 61 gallons all to himself ;)

Sorry to be away from RS so often lately everyone, I have been busy focusing on my family life and doing what I set out to do when I shut my reef down. We lost a lot of money over the winter with the bad economy and my main focus now is recovery.
This build is going to be slower then BigAl's I am afraid.
Today I am getting the fishing boat out with Lee and getting it ready for this years lazy days of fishing.
The weather has been incredible for the past month with 70's-80's temp and sunny skies.

Rhodes19

I'm still here. :hallo: If I can help, I am at your service. You've helped me out immensely with my 180 build. Sounds like you have your priorities in order. :thumbup:

Frankie

RS STAFF
What's up Chris :)
Sorry to be such a stranger lately, I really need to stop by and see your setup. Soon hopefully.
Paul, I would show the setup but it is nothing to see really, just a bunch of rock with a fish swimming around.
Wait until I start working on the build and I will get some pictures up.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Haven't seen you in a while Paul?
Sorry to be so long in updating this build thread.
I have been making some progress. Here are some pictures of the build so far:
006-23.jpg

008-23.jpg

003-34.jpg

005-30.jpg

002-30.jpg

fragtankstand007.jpg

fragtankstand005.jpg

fragtankstand014.jpg

003-32.jpg

007-23.jpg

003-32.jpg

003-33.jpg

Today I will be starting my wiring for the receptacles and running it all to the rear location where I will be having my control panel.
I did away with the curved canopy idea because it allowed to much light to spill out and bother the eyes.
Now you can sit in a chair and not be blinded :)
The chiller is separated from the entire filtration and will only cool without any heat being blown into the cabinet space.
Also I have decided not to skin this in wood but china birch plywood and will be spraying the whole unit in paint. Thee will be some exotic wood trim but the main body will be lacquered and clear coated with a high shine. Just like a car finish using a HVLP cup gun.

rgfast

that is one sweet set up, love the chiller space. Are you going to have that ducted to outside air?