SeaWorld to keep killer Orca

Frankie

RS STAFF
Tilikum's future needs to be watched closely~
whale-tilikum-seaworld-cp-8.jpg

SeaWorld said Thursday that despite calls to free or destroy the killer whale that drowned its trainer, it will keep the animal but suspend all orca shows while it decides whether to change the way handlers work with the behemoths.
Also, priviledged visitors who occasionally were invited to pet the killer whales will no longer be allowed to do so.
"We're going to make any changes we have to to make sure this doesn't happen again," Chuck Tompkins, chief of animal training at SeaWorld parks, said a day after a 5,445-kilogram killer whale named Tilikum dragged a trainer into its pool and thrashed the woman to death as audience members watched in horror.
Talk-radio callers, bloggers and animal activists said Tilikum — which was involved in the deaths of two other people over the past two decades — should be released into the ocean or put to death.
Read more: CBC News - World - SeaWorld to keep killer Orca

sambrinar

I saw that, sad. Makes me wonder if the whale was really just trying to play with her, certainly if it wanted to kill her it could have very easily done so in one big gulp

3 deaths in 20 years is unfortunate, but actually a good track record I think. As often as they train them and are in the water with them... they aren't pets, so to suggest to kill it or set it free is ridiculous IMO

reef dummy

I was watching a show last night that said because there are very strict regulations on the rules allowing capturing Orca's for aquarium purposes "street" value can be as high as 3-4 million dollars. This is why the animal has been kept around for so long despite the danger.

Everyone knows this has to do with politics of Seaworld. I am totally against them releasing Tili in to the wild or killing him. AND there is no physical way they would EVER do such a thing EVER. Could you imagine top headlines...."Seaworld has decided to kill SHAMU" Umm, they mise well pack there bags. Close both parks and call it a day.

michael_cb_125

While I do feel for the trainer and her family, I hold no hard feelings toward the
"whale". And to be honest I bet the trainer (if she were still here) would have no ill feelings as well. She died doing what she loved, if there is a "good" way to die, I am sure this is it.

~Michael

sambrinar

Everyone knows this has to do with politics of Seaworld. I am totally against them releasing Tili in to the wild or killing him. AND there is no physical way they would EVER do such a thing EVER. Could you imagine top headlines...."Seaworld has decided to kill SHAMU" Umm, they mise well pack there bags. Close both parks and call it a day.

Psst... there are actually 3 (San Diego, Orlando and San Antonio) there used to be one in Akron, Ohio too :D

Dweezil

It was actually in Aurora Ohio. They closed down several years ago. They just were not making enough money. Six Flags actually bought them out and then they closed too.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm with sambrinar 3 deaths in 20 years don't amount to much considering the handlers take little safety precaution when dealing with the beasts. I know they have protocols but they are in the water with the whales constantly, if something goes wrong they are screwed, it's not likely a tranquilizer is going to take effect fast enough or they have a reliable escape plan that can be put into action fast enough to save a life.

Really if a whale decided to attack they are pretty well screwed, seem they rely on the good nature of these creatures more than anything. We all have bad days animals included and while it may have been an accident, with an animal this size its often fatal.

There is no one to blame, no reason to kill or release the whale. The woman knew what she was doing and aware of the potential dangers and felt it was worth the risk obviously.

End of story

gritchie4

Completely agree. No one is to blame here. The trainers know the risk of working with these animals. And they do it because they love their job. Releasing the whale or killing it is absurd.

bluespotjawfish

A local article here in San Antonio reports that Tilikan is the alpha male and as such is vital to their captive breeding program, if fact most of the breeding program. With restrictions on capturing/importing them their breeding program (and therefore Tilikan) is essential for their operations.

I guess the fact that these are indeed wild animals that we are playing with should be factored in. However, if he were a dog (the only experience I have), it would be an unacceptable breeding practice. I wonder what the future holds. I suppose it could be just that he is the Alpha and he is reinforcing that by his actions.

Shamu shows will go on at SeaWorld

WVUReefer

Why would we put this whale to death? If this whale was released back into the ocean from whence it came who would it possibly kill? We as hobbyists have learned for the most part to accommodate our livestock to the saize of the habitat we provide. You have placed a whale that roams thousands of miles of ocean in a pool.?..Why don't I buy a Naso Tang and place it in a 10g aquarium, hoping for the best possible outcome..It makes me mad to see people call for the death of an animal that is behaving the way nature intends...Guess what?..If this woman was floating in the ocean she would be the food chain regardless..It isn't just marine life..We kill tigers in captivity for dare I say acting like tigers..We blame the tiger when someone accidentally or purposely steps into it's cage and is mauled. There is a reason why people in India run from these animals. Would you blame a shark for attacking a person who fell into it's tank? This is human arrogance at it's best. Release the whale back into nature. It is a shame that someone has lost their life, but I am sure this woman was no idiot and knew the risk she was taking. You don't jump from 10 stories up and expect to land on your feet.

first let me start by saying Orcas are NOT whales, they are dolphins and are extremely intelligent. releasing the animal into the wild is the same as killing it, Sea World owes it to this Orca and all others it has disturbed by captivating them and continue their research and stop the human contact with these animals. these animals are not entertainers and should not be treated as such.lets get back to the study and research of these animals and try to create a more lifelike habitat for them not a giant swimming pool with humans in it. my 2 cents!

Frankie

RS STAFF
first let me start by saying Orcas are NOT whales, they are dolphins and are extremely intelligent. releasing the animal into the wild is the same as killing it, Sea World owes it to this Orca and all others it has disturbed by captivating them and continue their research and stop the human contact with these animals. these animals are not entertainers and should not be treated as such.lets get back to the study and research of these animals and try to create a more lifelike habitat for them not a giant swimming pool with humans in it. my 2 cents!
Well stated about the quality of the tanks they are housed in.
I don't agree that we should stop the shows though. For the amount of time humans have been keeping these animals the amount of deaths do not intimidate me. I'm all for working with these animals and training them. It gives people who would never have an opportunity to see them naturally to come closer to them.
Doing tricks and swimming with them is an art and I have a huge respect for the work people like Dawn accomplish.

the shows are just an exploitation of these creatures, i understand i seem a little hypocritical as i keep live sea creatures in my living room. but i do try and create a natural feeling environment and certainly am not training or interacting with these creatures other than for survival reasons. this is definately a tough situation i can see both sides.

Frankie

RS STAFF
There have been a few updates on Tilikum if you are interested in reading them:
April 29, 2010: New Report Details Trainer's Last Moments: New Report Details Trainer's Last Moments - Entertainment News Story - WESH Orlando
April 28, 2010: Students Rap For Freeing Captive Whales: Students Rap For Freeing Captive Whales - Education News Story - WESH Orlando
April 27, 2010: Congress Debates Keeping Whales In Captivity: Congress Debates Keeping Whales In Captivity - Entertainment News Story - WESH Orlando
April 27, 2010: Marine Mammal Captivity Issue Heads To Washington:
Marine Mammal Captivity Issue Heads To Washington - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando
IMO, I have no problem keeping these animals in captivity. I just think they need better fail safes for situations like this.
My thinking is they need an emergency dump button that when something like this happens they can "dump" or drain the tank quickly giving the trainer a better chance to either get away from the animal and or have the ability to breath again during a rescue mission.
Reading the police report on the video it seems the trainer tried 3 times to get to the surface of the water for air and escape but the whale kept pulling her down. If the tank was suddenly dumped she may have lived.
Comments?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Another option could be DISTRACTION. If they installed air injectors on the tanks floor and suddenly overwhelmed the water with bubbles it may distract the animal enough for a person to get away from the animal.
When I had my reef up I had an air injector that infused bubbles into the tank for instant cleaning and water polishing. When I turned this on all the fish freaked out and hid instantly.

Val

Distractions may work or in this case something as simple as a swim cap for trainers with long hair would of kept this trainer safe. Most accidents with animals are caused by human error. I'm no expert on sea animals I've only trained dogs and horses. It's very easy to relax the rules especially once you think you know the animal.

It's just my opinion but since it's obvious these animals shouldn't be released at this point, I think Seaworld is doing a very good job of caring for the animals in their possession. I just have mustangs and I can't give them several thousand acres to roam, but I can give them about 30 acres, all the hay they can eat, vet care, a stalll if they want it and grain daily. That is a much better option than the government had for them.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I fully agree that Sea World does a good job caring for these animal.
It is time though to consider better safety precautions.
I sent them an email with a few of my ideas and will post any replies that I legally can.
Thanks for your input Val. Being a rider myself and an ex horse owner it sounds like you are caring for your animals very well. Horses are a huge responsibility. 30 acres is a lot these days and plenty big enough for roaming. How many do you have on this 30 acres?

Val

Frankie, We have 5 horses and that's my limit (only 5 stalls) The oldest is 30+ a retired ranch stallion registered quarterhorse palomino. I don't have his papers he was gelded before I bought him. I know he is registered because of his tatoo. He needed a home because the current ranch stallion still wanted to kill him even after he was gelded.

Then Buck is a bay grade quarterhorse gelding he has to be 20 now. We got him so Bones could have some company. He's a nice riding horse. Then we adopted the two mustangs one yearling sorrel mare and one sorrel stud who was supposed to be a yearling but his paperwork showed he was a yearling for atleast 2 years before we adopted him. He was adopted once before we got him and was returned I don't think he was treated very well in his first adoption. He's a long story. Then we have the baby that was born here, he's 5 now. Almost a perfect copy of his mother really nice horse. He was a result of that long story with the mustang stud.

Bet you are wishing you didn't ask now. lol I tried to keep it short but when I get talking about the horse it's hard to shut up. We also have access to another 20 acres but just put them on it when the grass gets high it's a pain because you have to fetch the horses every night. They don't come up to the barn when they are back there.