Scott’s new (to me) RSM 130

Discussion in 'Red Sea Max Owners Club' started by speaste, Jun 20, 2018.

1. speaste

speaste New Member

Hi all,

Thought I’d try to cover my new (very used) to me RSM 130. I’m not sure what year this one was from. I picked it up cheap off craigslist.

The stand was pretty much shot from rotting wood and such which was fine cause missus hated the look anyway. I built a new stand from scratch. Didn’t think to document it....didn’t know I was going to do this :) here’s the stand I built with the tank on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered the Steve’s LEDs retrofit kit because the guy I bought the unit from had trashed the hood retrofitting some bargain LEDs. So plan is to replace lights with the kit from Steve’s and a hurricane controller.

I’m planning to start with the stock skimmer since I had replaced the pump on it with a new one and see how it goes.

I’ve replaced the 2 return pumps with the RSM upgrade kit.

My concern is that I really need a rack I think to use for holding chemicals however not sure I want to replace skimmer....wondering if I can figure out a way to make a rack that’ll fit with the return pump and I’d just have to remove return pump to pull rack. Otherwise I’m thinking my other option is to stuff media bags before slimmer pump? Open to ideas.

Is there any issue starting to Aquascape while waiting for lighting? I was thinking I want to use dry rock and build before filling with water. Then maybe add some live rock from LFS let it cycle while I wait for light kit?

Any thoughts on this? Looking forward to this little project! Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR, Pancho75 and StevesLEDs like this.
  2. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Cheers for starting a tank thread !

I think you would be fine starting the scape & the cycle while waiting on the new lights, many might say preferred, @StevesLEDs should be very nice !

See if this post is of any help on the dyi media rack
    Glenn's RSM 130D

SPR, speaste and Pancho75 like this.
  3. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

Hello Speaste!
    I just wanted to send a quick note to thank you for your order, and let you know that I expedited it (at no extra charge) so it has already shipped out. You should have it in 2-3 days, hopefully in time for the weekend!

Thanks!
    -Jeff

4. speaste

speaste New Member

So I picked up some dry rock, few pieces of live rock and some live sand today. First attempt and aquascaping this guy. Loaded with water (salt) waiting for things to settle so I can add the live rock and then I’ll add the live sand after checking sg I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPR and Pancho75 like this.
  5. Pancho75

Pancho75 Well-Known Member

Good to see your tank! we can see you are doing really good efforts. We love pics, please let us see your progress, congratulations!!!

In my particular case, I also started with dry rock and later added one live rock. I did it to avoid hitchhikers as much as I could.

nanoreefing4fun and SPR like this.
  6. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

Looks good. I would suggest that if you have not already done so paint the new stand inside and outside, top and bottom, with a few coats of polyurethane or spar varnish. That will protect the wood for discoloration and rotting.

7. SPR

SPR Well-Known Member

Great tank and I like the aquascaping, very nice.

8. Nobbygas

Nobbygas Well-Known Member

Great tank. May I suggest you just move the rocks slightly to allow more space between them and the glass? This will make cleaning much easier, and maybe also help the water flow?

Pancho75, nanoreefing4fun and SPR like this.
  9. nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    +1 ^ we have all learned this after having it too close once ;) really helps when cleaning... Great start ! Your fish will enjoy the cave / swim through

and lots of us re-scape a 1/2 dozen times while cycling, till get just the look we want, I know I did

10. saintsreturn

saintsreturn Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    The stand looks great! Thank you for sharing and keep us posted on your progress!

Two quick thoughts. 1) your scaping looks great! I would bring it in a little from the sides to allow a scraper to pass between them and the glass. 2) if you havent already, coat the stand inside to avoid moisture rotting and salt creep from sticking. I would use something with a smooth finish so you can wipe it with a paper towel as needed. My stand has a rough paint job (marineland) and its a PITA to keep clean.

Looking great so far!

11. speaste

speaste New Member

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Yes, I’ll move the rocks in a bit to allow easier cleaning access. I was thinking same thing.

As far as painting, the top has 4 coats of oil based semi poly so that’s sealed up good. The rest of the stand is actually “chalk painted” this is one of those trendy things (spouse) that gives it that certain farmhouse look. After the paint is applied it’s coated with a wax that cures after a month. It’s not water proof but is resistant. I’m not sure if I can cover that with anything I’ll have to research.

Once I move the rocks around a bit today and adjust sg, I’ll add the live sand. Lights should arrive tomorrow I believe!

12. speaste

speaste New Member

Still waiting on the lights got delayed by postal service by a day....hopefully arrive today. I’ve started “feeding” the empty tank to encourage cycling. Monitoring ammonia levels.

I’ve also moved the rocks around a bit. Not quite happy with them yet.

Question for y’all do you keep water level just at the rim? Or do you leave a gap. Planning to add an ato and trying to decide where I want water level.

Squatch XXL likes this.
  13. speaste

speaste New Member

Something showed up in the mail today from Steve’s LEDs! The postal service was not kind to the box for sure. :( hopefully all goes well with it. I unboxed and nothing obvious re damage. It’s insured so if something is wrong I’ve got evidence. I’ll assemble the hood either this evening or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StevesLEDs and Pancho75 like this.
  14. speaste

speaste New Member

LEDs Installed in hood and configured. Everything working well...no apparent damage!! Running at 30% per the instructions. Rock is rescaped AGAIN.

[​IMG]

I don’t like all the micro bubbles. Maybe from skimmer or black sponge filter?

15. Pancho75

Pancho75 Well-Known Member

Good to know your lights are ok! it looks good!

Nobbygas and speaste like this.
  16. StevesLEDs

StevesLEDs RS Sponsor

It's looking good! Man the postal service was rough on your box. I suppose they got angry at the fragile stickers on it?

Glad all is well!

-Jeff

speaste and Pancho75 like this.
  17. saintsreturn

saintsreturn Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Loving the progress!

Pancho75 likes this.
  18. speaste

speaste New Member

So I’m currently battling the skimmer. I’ve read a bunch of thread about the issue I’m having but have not yet solved. I’m having micro bubbles coming from the skimmer. If skimmer is on, I get bubbles. If it’s off, I do not.

I first tried cleaning skimmer with vinegar water solution as that was one suggestion. Still have the bubbles. I added some floss to the heater section on the sump since I’ll not be needing a heater here in south Texas anyway, but still micro bubbles.

Can someone running stock skimmer in the 130 clue me in on how to get rid of these micro bubbles?

In the meantime, I’ve completed the cycle of my tank and have the brown algae. I’ve done several water changes but I need to do more to get those nitrates down. I’m about to get drastic and do 50-60% change I’m thinking as I’ve only got a few clean up crew friends (snails and hermits) in there and they don’t like the nitrates.

Let me know if I’m off track?

Pancho75 likes this.
  19. nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I had a RSM 130D - you have the original RSM 130, so it's a bit different... that said micro bubbles... are usually associated in these tanks with water level, you want it as high as possible and top off at least every other day.

Hope this helps...

Pancho75 likes this.
  20. BigAl07

BigAl07 Administrator
    RS STAFF

Looking good. I gotta give KUDOS to StevesLEDs. They built a custom set for one of my tanks and they are ROCK SOLID! Day in and day out!