sandsifting ????

bandr1002

well, i just picked up a diamond watchman this eve and i am really stoked about the churning of my sand. with that said.............. now that my sand is getting turned, my tank is very cloudy. so i have a quick ?. will the cloudy tank ever go back to not so cloudy? i do not have a sugar fine grade sand. so i am thinking that maybe it will eventually settle. am i correct in this thinking or am i totally wrong? has anyone else had this issue with a sand sifting goby.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I see quite a few post similar to this one... I think... running some finer filter material may help after awhile...

surprised no one else that has a diamond watchman ... as posted back....

:bump:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It really depends on several variables but I had a sandsifting goby and my tank always.. I mean ALWAYS was partially clouded from his work. I was shocked at how much he would stir up in a 90g tank. I had him for 6+ months.

bandr1002

i do not run any kind of filter pads. should i be? my water goes into the overflow, down into the fuge, gets skimmed (first baffle), through bubble trap, fuge is after bubble trap, and then over one more baffle into the return.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You can but I wouldn't say "should". Just note that you'll get a build up of silt/sediment in your sump/fuge as the water slows down. You may want to allow for this and keep it in mind when doing your cleaning and maintenance.

bandr1002

Just note that you'll get a build up of silt/sediment in your sump/fuge as the water slows down.

not sure i am following ya. are you saying this is going to happen, or are you saying that if i add a little bit of pad that it may happen?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
With NO pad/filter it WILL happen. Just how it works. Suspended particles in the water column that go through the over-flow into the fuge will settle out as the water slows down (increased dwell time).

With a pad/filter this may STILL happen. I'm just saying be aware of it and clean/remove it as it happens. It may be a small issue and not need much attention.

molsen187

i have a golden watchman goby and a pistol shrimp and when they were firt in there making their viet cong tunnel network my tank was cloudy for a few weeks. now that they have a place pretty much established, i have nice clear water.

dlcorliss

I have a sand sifting gobie and my tank went through a short period of being cloudy but once he got acclimated it almost completely went away. Once mine got the whole tank shifted he started to slow down and does not shift nearly as much as he did when I first got him.

Jeremy0322

Had a bunch of these things, with that size sand it will **more than likely** be cloudy for a few weeks, after about the 2 week mark you will see a change from the cloudiness to just normal water as all the "dusk" and smaller particles make their way out of the sand bed and into places like the sump or alot of them get caught in a skimmer, you will notice your skimmate becoming much "tanner" over the next week or so instead of the green/brown color.

With that being said I would just clean my skimmer out every day until the dusk all goes away, and when you do water changes siphon out the sump for the stuff that settles on the bottom, removing it from the sump gets it out of the system, which is better than having it get kicked up and re-introduced back into the tank in my opinion.

bandr1002

I have a sand sifting gobie and my tank went through a short period of being cloudy but once he got acclimated it almost completely went away. Once mine got the whole tank shifted he started to slow down and does not shift nearly as much as he did when I first got him.

what kind of goby do you have?