Saltysupply bad experience

reefsurf

my buying experience started off like this.
well i was so excited to see their free shipping with the order for the "starphire" solana tank. i proceeded to order on their website but the shipping kept saying that i had to pay. well that's not what was advertised so i talked to the representative live online and he explained that it was a mistake and i'd have to pay shipping costs since it was such a large order. the shortened version after explaining to him that that's not what was advertised and him saying it was an ad mistake he finally agreed to honor their mistake. he said that the order would be shipped out within the next couple days.
the order was placed on 08/11/08 and wasn't shipped out until 08/29/08

finally i received the tank, check for all the parts and filled up my new aquarium. regrettably after it was full and up and running i noticed that the "starphire" glass didn't look like the awesome glass that i've heard so much about. after asking numerous people if it was in fact starphire the majority of them didn't think so. so i again talked to richard from salty supply and after an email with a photo attachment he told me that he'd get to the bottom of the problem. he said that he would contact current and get back to me. weeks go by and i never hear back from him. so i wrote another email asking him what the status is and he says....."I did hear back, they said they sent out the correct part number although now it would have to go directly through Current USA."

so that's how they chose to end this whole transaction with me dealing with the supplier. i know a lot of companies deal with customers like this by saying that the product was shipped from another place, we don't have full control over what gets shipped etc etc. but i also know of businesses that take responsibility for all their products and have no problem taking things back even if it means it'll cost them a lot more time and effort. but those companies value every single customer. salty supply obviously doesn't value my business. why would they care now they got my $700!

so i don't usually take this much time for this stuff but i thought it was worth helping others out. hopefully it'll prevent others from having the same or similar experiences with this company.

thanks for taking the time to read this,
lance

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for your input Lance. Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you'll hear something positive back soon.

Allen

reefsurf

hey allen,
it's all good just live and learn. $700 for me and a lot of ppl isn't easy to come by. and when i choose to buy from a place i put a lot of trust with them as do others that they'll back up their products or services. i hope this helps..........great tank by the way and i like your nitrate formula!

saltysupply

RS Sponsor
Hi Lance, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

When it comes to these products I do ship them from our warehouse, unfortunately we are not a large enough company and Current USA will not dropship for us like they do marine depot etc. However I did wait over a week as I recall to receive the right aquarium which we transferred from new york. Unfortunately I assumed it was correct instead of inspecting it.

On another note once items have been used(filled with water etc.) We cannot take a return on the item which is why we stress inspecting that you received the correct item thoroughly. I believe most other companies work this way as well.

I do apologize for having such delayed reponses as well, I deal with all CS issues and sometimes if I don't see a follow up etc. from a customer "reminding" me of the issue I space it
On to the good news, I do not like having unhappy customers and I always do my best to resolve the situation. I am shooting a PM over to see how we can fix the problem.

Thanks again!
Richard

reefsurf

hi richard
thanks for stepping up concerning this matter. i have received your pm. i like you didn't inspect the tank prior to filling with water. it really wouldn't have mattered because i didn't know at the time what the difference was. but several people looked at it and told me that they didn't think it was starphire.
non the less at this time it's a moot point. what's important is that you're now taking full ownership in the issue and people should know that just as they should know the problems we had before.
so i appreciate you quick response and it looks like we can hopefully resolve this issue.

lance

reefsurf

well, richard from salty supply took ownership in the matter and accepted responsibility. and like the previous issue with the advertised free shipping he's followed through on this oversight and it's been resolved. hey i'm not perfect and i don't expect others to be either. so when businesses or people step up to resolve issues and continue a healthy relationship then everyone wins. i'm back to being a happy customer with saltysupply!

lance

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the UPDATE Lance. It's GREAT to hear of a positive resolution :D

Richard thanks for stepping up! That's what Customer Service is all about!!

:hug1:

reefsurf

oh i forgot to mention.........i got weak and purchased the lamborghini of powerheads.........i should have stuck to surf trips would've been so much cheaper!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
...i noticed that the "starphire" glass didn't look like the awesome glass that i've heard so much about. after asking numerous people if it was in fact starphire the majority of them didn't think so.

So is anyone sure it's NOT "Starphire" glass? Aside from its clarity, which IMO you can't tell clarity between "Starphire" and regular glass with water in the tank, color of the glass is another tell tale sign.

Also, "Starphire" is not a standard feature on this aquarium according to the "Features" on its web site. Was this a special order?

Kudos to Richard though! Way to excercise that the customer is always right!

reefsurf

snelly, look at my tank thread in my build and you'll see lots of pics.......too many pics?..........the starphire glass solana was a limited deal i guess........still not sure but it's a moot point now.....it is what it is.....i had a thread asking ppl their opinions....and posted pics of the edges, side shots etc.

lcstorc

There actually was debate on the Starphire topic Scott. It was a special run that was sold as Starphire and when Lance originally posted it we didn't think it was but when we started looking at the corners Frankie and some others thought it was and was possibly all Starphire which was what caused the confusion. I'll look for the thread.
That's what I remember anyway. I'll look and refresh my memory.

reefsurf

There actually was debate on the Starphire topic Scott. It was a special run that was sold as Starphire and when Lance originally posted it we didn't think it was but when we started looking at the corners Frankie and some others thought it was and was possibly all Starphire which was what caused the confusion. I'll look for the thread.
That's what I remember anyway. I'll look and refresh my memory.

what she said!

prow

Aside from its clarity, which IMO you can't tell clarity between "Starphire" and regular glass with water in the tank, color of the glass is another tell tale sign.
heck, with good 10k lighting, i can not even tell the difference in color or anything else between them. i can see a big dif when using 15k though. have not looked if there is much of a difference with 12k bulbs or 20k....