SALTY WATER'S RSM 130d

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good job on the airline mod. It would be nice if Tunze paid attention and improves the 9002!

Pocky

Hi Salty,

I did figure out what was wrong with my Tunze. It had to do with the hole in a piece of the venturi (the big black piece) not being perfectly round. There was a little bit of excess plastic that I scraped off with scissors. This simple fix worked. I did the same airline mod, and it makes things so much easier. I'm waiting for the skimmer to break in though. I have lots of foam bubbles, but my tank is still so new that I think it will take a little more time for the it to produce skimmate. I posted the fix on the thread you started on "Problem with my Tunze."

I love your corals! What kind is your mushroom leather? Is it a brown toadstool leather? You are right about that being your centerpiece. I never really looked into this type of coral until I saw your tank. It is definitely a standout! Now I must get something like it too!

Happy New Year!

Yes, it's a brown/tan toadstool mushroom leather. I love it. If the polyps aren't out, the tank simply doesn't look as good. You can see how much mine has grown. I think it is trying to split itself. It is a peaceful coral but sulks if the water parameters aren't right or if something has annoyed it - all of the polyps retract. It evens sheds a layer of skin sometimes. A great, easy to keep, extremely hardy coral. I hope you get one.

Pocky

Been researching a lot on the toadstool leather coral and will definitely be getting one. Yours is gorgeous! I plan to start small on everything since I love watching things grow. It will probably take a while to look as nice as your centerpiece.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Pocky - the toadstools can be weird. Some grow that nice big top, and others tend to grow a long stalk instead. I'm not sure why though, unless they're just different species. Mine are growing long stalks, even though they're up on top - not the look that I wanted.

Yes - I've read before that there are about 30 types of Brown Toadstool: some from Indonesia and others from Tonga. I don't know which mine is. Apparently, the ones from Indonesia are hardier, so I'm guessing that's mine. I've seen both the long-stemmed variety and the ones like mine at my LFS and you can easily tell which is which (or what it will mature into), so I would recommend visiting the LFS and selecting one, if possible.

My Royal Gramma has been eaten...

Less than a fortnight in the tank. In hindsight, I think it was too small to put in last, as the Angel and Wrasse bullied it. It hid in a cave throughout and only ventured out at feeding time. I'm guessing it died of stress.

Back down to 5!

My electric blue-knee hermit crab gorged itself!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sorry to hear
1346.gif

steved13

PREMIUM
Sorry for your loss :(

I missed your question a couple of pages back. Most like Terry like the Reef Crest on the MP10, I like the NTM (purple) better. It does short bursts them ramps up and down and then short bursts again. Have fun playing with it and I'm sure you'll find a favorite mode.

steved13

PREMIUM
Yes it's one of the EcoSmart functions. It stands for Nutrient Transport Mode, it's supposed to move nutrients around and transport them out of the tank via the overflow. I like it because it's changes up from a pulse to a high and low stream, kind of random, in that it changes up, but with some order. I get more back and forth out of the corals. as well as a dormant period and a high flow period.

Pocky

Hi Ben, so does your toadstool have a very short stalk? I've seen some yellow leathers online where they say there is not much of a stalk at all.

Sorry on your royal gramma...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Pocky - the yellow Fiji leathers I've had never really had much, if any, stalk. They can get big, but never got tall and leggy.

Pocky

Thanks, Terry. I'm researching coral to see what to add next, and it is neverending. Way too many choices! Toadstool, zoas, palys, blastos, mushrooms, etc. etc... and then all the color choices... My head is spinning!

Hi Pocky, as Terry says, a short dumpy stalk. P.S. Have you won the Lottery?

Thanks Terry et al for the response on the MP10. I've been using ReefCrest mode but will try NTM and others. I'm still battling cyano-bacteria, so will see which mode creates more movement on the substrate. I'm mindful though of not turning my tank into a washing machine.

Pocky

I wish I won the lottery! If you look on my thread, I don't have much of anything yet. Doing lots of research and buying slowly. The problem with the 130D is that it is small, so I want to make the right choices and not waste space. But there are way too many to consider! Plus, I enjoy watching things grow so I'm planning on buying little frags/corals and letting my tank fill up over time.... as long as Crabby Paddy doesn't eat them all...

Thanks Anthony. That's nice of you to say. Your 250 looks great too. I went to have a look at your thread and remember looking at it when I started-out; your tank has come a long way.

Pocky, my internet purchasing fingers are the same as yours, believe me. I probably buy someting for the tank at my LFS or on the net weekly. My wife goes nuts! I bought a Duncan Coral yesterday and will upload some photos soon. I also bought two Orange Spot (Marble) Nassarius Snails. These are much bigger than the more common Black Onyx Nassarius Snails. You're right about the 130D being small; I'm starting to outgrow mine and am thinking about ways to sell the idea of a bigger tank to my wife...