SaltNoob's RSM 130D Adventure.

SaltNoob

Peppermint shrimp acquired! Along with a sandstar...
CUC in full effect. Or so I'm told.
First water change coming up in T minus 5... 4.....3......2...........

SaltNoob

Water change a success.
My little box of ocean is chugging along.
Except my skimmer still doesn't seem to be doing anything...

SaltNoob

The sand star!
And the rest of the gang... (Minus the peppermint shrimp)

Attachments

• IMG_20150905_183604.jpg
    IMG_20150905_183604.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150905_183540.jpg
    IMG_20150905_183540.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 29

Marty.h

If your sandbed is not that old that sand sifter will soon starve and even if it was very mature due to the small size of your sandbed it will soon deplete it's food. If you see it starting to go downhill or its limbs disolving return it back to your LFS.

As your bioload grows your skimmer will pull out more and if the skimmer is new it takes a while for them to break in before they start producing good amounts of skimmate prepare yourself for the smell when cleaning a skimmer haha

SaltNoob

If your sandbed is not that old that sand sifter will soon starve and even if it was very mature due to the small size of your sandbed it will soon deplete it's food. If you see it starting to go downhill or its limbs disolving return it back to your LFS.

As your bioload grows your skimmer will pull out more and if the skimmer is new it takes a while for them to break in before they start producing good amounts of skimmate prepare yourself for the smell when cleaning a skimmer haha
Hey, Mart! The sand is "old", although not that deep. Could I add more Aragonite without much danger?

Marty.h

The problem you have is the size of the bed most LFS forget to tell people how much they actually eat a single sandsifter can easily munch it's way through a 5ft sandbed !

You should not really see the sand sifter once it goes under the sand if you see it ontop a lot it's hungry a looking for food keep an eye on him.

I personally would not go adding anything to a settled tank that is maturing.

SaltNoob

The problem you have is the size of the bed most LFS forget to tell people how much they actually eat a single sandsifter can easily munch it's way through a 5ft sandbed !

You should not really see the sand sifter once it goes under the sand if you see it ontop a lot it's hungry a looking for food keep an eye on him.

I personally would not go adding anything to a settled tank that is maturing.
Thanks for the 411, Mart. My sand bed is quite shallow.
I would like to add some more sand though...
Any other comments out there regarding this matter?
Thanks everyone!!!

Marty.h

Adding sand will also take time to mature to the point where there is food available for the sandsifter but all the time it's doing that it will be munching through the current food in the bed.

My sandsifter moves fairly fast up and down my sandbed which is 6ft and he did come out for a bit after quite a while and I began to worry he had ran out of food but luckily he went back down and all I've seen recently is just a mound of sand moving up and down the bed where he is moving.

just keep an eye on him the tell tale sign is its ontop of the bed a lot moving around.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always wanted a starfish, but I have seen so many die... many only seem to last a few months and few seem to make it over a year

+1 marty post - If you see it starting to go downhill or its limbs dissolving return it back to your LFS.

A few RS members do have luck with them... but from post I have read, I would say the great majority lose them, they starve to death.

see what others think...

SaltNoob

I have always wanted a starfish, but I have seen so many die... many only seem to last a few months and few seem to make it over a year

+1 marty post - If you see it starting to go downhill or its limbs dissolving return it back to your LFS.

A few RS members do have luck with them... but from post I have read, I would say the great majority lose them, they starve to death.

see what others think...
I see, I've decided to return the sand star. I'll also be relocating the tank to a more suitable location. Question...
Can I add crushed coral or silica sand to my substrate to increase its depth, or is that a no no?
Aragonite ONLY? If so, why?
Thanks web world!!!

Marty.h

Go crushed coral don't add silica the leeching of silica in the water will be a headache and could bring on a massive diatom issue

SaltNoob

So the Sandstar has been returned.
Nitrates are a bit high but everything else tests OK. According to my LFS.
Now I've got a problem with my Cich tank and have lost 3 in the past week. But I won't get into that here.
Not happy right now...

SaltNoob

OK, so I added some crushed coral to my little box of ocean and I'm reading that may have been a HUGE mistake. I've got maybe a 1/4" on top of aragonite. Someone suggested covering these with an inch or two of fine sand.
Said it would prevent things from growing in crushed coral. And that crushed coral was "impossible" to clean
Anyone have any knowledge they would like to share on this matter?

SaltNoob

Also...
My turbo appears to have taken a tumble. I arrived home yesterday to find him on his back. I flipped him over but he hasn't moved an inch in 24 hours.
Is he...?