SaltNoob's RSM 130D Adventure.

SaltNoob

Hey y'all! This is my tank thread. If this isn't where it goes, sorry.
Here's a pic of my little box of ocean.
If someone out there in the matrix could recommend a brand of salt to use for mixing I would appreciate it.
The tank has 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Pajama Cardinal, 1 Mexican Turbo, 2 hermit crabs (?) and a little blue fish that I'm not sure of. I don't plan on corals just these little guys and maybe a Percula for the kids.

Attachments

• IMG_20150903_130327.jpg
    IMG_20150903_130327.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 55

Drs2140

Looks good! It would be a good idea to find another home for the tang, they require a large tank because of how active swimmers they're. He will be much happier and live a longer life in a large aquarium. As far as salt goes if you're doing fish only I would use instant oceans salt. It's cheap and does the job. Other salts have elevated base amounts of cal/Alk/Mg which are needed for coral growth.

SaltNoob

Thanks for the info, Dr. If I relocate the Tang would I have room for 2 Perculas, in your opinion?

Drs2140

For sure, clowns are very hardy fish. Take a look around the net on captive clowns. It's really crazy all the morphs they've breed recently. Just make sure to either get an existing male/female pair or two very young clowns. One of the young fish will turn into the female.

SaltNoob

For sure, clowns are very hardy fish. Take a look around the net on captive clowns. It's really crazy all the morphs they've breed recently. Just make sure to either get an existing male/female pair or two very young clowns. One of the young fish will turn into the female.
Cool! Thanks.

SaltNoob

Are these guys bad news? I've found 4 little snails(?) in my tank that are about
1/4" long. Roughly the diameter of a pencil eraser.
FYI... I don't see any on the rocks, just on the glass.
Should I yank them out?

Attachments

• IMG_20150903_193807.jpg
    IMG_20150903_193807.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 43

SaltNoob

Looks like a chiton to me, they're great to have. Search "chiton" and see if you can id it.

Naw. These guys are shaped like chocolate chips.
Here's an up close of one I pulled...

Attachments

• IMG_20150903_202916.jpg
    IMG_20150903_202916.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 40

Drs2140

Ok yes that looks like a limpet. I'm pretty sure the only limpet that is not reef safe is the key hole limpet that can eat soft corals. Which this snail does not look like to me.

SaltNoob

Dr. You seem to be the go to guy tonight. So here's another for you...
I have a few Aipstasia (sp?) In my tank. Can I simply reach in and yank these out by hand? With tweezers? Cut them out?
They are the translucent white type. If that helps or matters.
Thanks for all your help, BTW.

Drs2140

Definitely don't yank, cut, smash, scrub or anything to crush them. These guys suck! And everyone has there own method to get rid of them. Some people use other livestock ( file fish, peppermint shrimp). I use Pickeling lime or kalkwasser and make a paste out of it. I've found its the cheapest and most effective way to get rid of them before they get to plague proportions.
-mix kalk with water until you get a thick paste ( a little more thin than peanut butter)
-turn off all flow
-fill syringe with paste
-completely cover anemone with paste, go slowing and the aptasia will actually reach out and open up like its going to eat it.
-let sit for 20-30 minutes
-syphon out paste and the nem will come with it.

This worked for me, it took a few times over a couple weeks to get them all but I have not seen one ever since.
If you wait it will turn into a big problem. Pickling lime cost a few bucks in any Garden department. One thing else you'll need is some type of applicator syringe work best, any size will do

Drs2140

Things like this are much easier to get rid of in a small tank. It's the bigger tanks when it becomes a real headache

Drs2140

Just take make sure, does it look like the one on the left or right? Left is aiptasia and right is a ball tip anemone which is harmless.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441382019.264643.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you're lucky & get the right variation of peppermint - you want...
a TRUE Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata Wurdemanni) - Aiptasia eaters

Many lfs sell peppermints that are not Lysmata Wurdemanni and don't know better... :cool:

(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

index.php

Last edited:

SaltNoob

Can anyone out there recommend an "easy" test kit?
I've the Red Sea marine lab one, like pictured below.
Is there a simpler one out there?
Thanks!!!
EDIT: Oops...
The picture displays a "Reef" lab.
Mine actually says "Marine" lab but looks identical. Sorry...

Attachments

• RED21200-2.jpg
    RED21200-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 22

pablomay28

Can anyone out there recommend an "easy" test kit?
I've the Red Sea marine lab one, like pictured below.
Is there a simpler one out there?
Thanks!!!
EDIT: Oops...
The picture displays a "Reef" lab.
Mine actually says "Marine" lab but looks identical. Sorry...

Depends on what you are testing. I have the API test kit for Amonia, NO2, NO3, and Calcium. Hanna Checker for Alkalinity, Ph, Calcium, and PO4. API test kits are super cheap Hanna checkers are expensive but worth the $.