Salt?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I was wondering if anyone has used Seachem Reef salt and their thoughts on the product.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I personally haven't but what are you looking to find out? You'll get a lot of opinions on salt but personally I think it comes down to what can you get locally and then get some opinions on them.......

I think a few good brands that I know of are Red Sea, IO (like the staple of all salt), Tropic Marine to name a few.

Hopefully someone can chime in on the Seachem salt.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
"will support and promote enhanced calcium and alkalinity stability for those wishing to maintain calcium above Natural Sea Water (NSW) levels (400 mg/L)"
to me this is a specialty salt, meaning that if your tank is loaded and has certain requirements ok, this is not what I would start a tank off with, the desire to maintain levels above NSW levels can be a major tail chasing exercise unless you are very knowledgeable in chemistry.
I.O is cheap and you are going to go through a ton of water shortly, I.O. will also give you the opportunity to start using the standard additives and get a grasp on maintaining water parameters, as Dad always said, you learn on the beater before the Lambo is touched haha

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I gotta agree with the Canadian. Sas is spot on. Io isn't My favorite however it is a good entry level salt.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
"will support and promote enhanced calcium and alkalinity stability for those wishing to maintain calcium above Natural Sea Water (NSW) levels (400 mg/L)"
to me this is a specialty salt, meaning that if your tank is loaded and has certain requirements ok, this is not what I would start a tank off with, the desire to maintain levels above NSW levels can be a major tail chasing exercise unless you are very knowledgeable in chemistry.
I.O is cheap and you are going to go through a ton of water shortly, I.O. will also give you the opportunity to start using the standard additives and get a grasp on maintaining water parameters, as Dad always said, you learn on the beater before the Lambo is touched haha

IO Reef Crystals is what I have been and am currently using. I have read a few things on Seachem products and I was wondering what the general thoughts were.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
IO Reef Crystals is what I have been and am currently using. I have read a few things on Seachem products and I was wondering what the general thoughts were.

its all in the test results lol, its not that salt a is better than b its the levels that have been set per manufacturer, so if Your tank has a high alk demand salt c might work better, if you have a low alk demand salt c might put you on the moon

yvr

Loyalty to salt brands is always a contentious issue. But since we are on the topic, I I have always been happy with Tropic Marin's products and they have produced some great results for me and other hobbyists I know who use them.

cumbeje

I have on my 73 gal. Reef tank. No problems. I really have used what ever salt that is on sale as long as it was for reef. I pretty much think all are the same.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I used SeaChem Reef salt until last week when I ran out. I switched over to RedSea Coral Pro Salt and thus far love it. The main reason I switched was because my LFS isn't stocking SeaChem any more and I wanted to try out RS anyway. Other than my LFs not stocking I have nothing bad to say about it at all. It's been a very good salt for a mixed reef tank.