salifert or aquarium pharm ?

Jerv

is one better than the other ? any comments on which is a better test kit for testing alk , the aquarium pharm is much cheaper . is this a case of you get what you pay for.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I really like salifert test kits. API works too but in general, I think "most" would bite for the salifert kits

frisbee

FWIW, I've been using the Tetra KH test kits for years on end without any problems. They do seem to be much cheaper than the Salifert or Red Sea test kits, but all I'm looking for is a "ballpark" figure.. GL.

Jerv

Thanks ,salifert is what I was leaning towards but the price compared to api. Salifert $25 api $9

DaveK

It all depends on what you want out of your test kits. Personally, I like Salifret over the API kits. Yes Salifret is more expensive.

If money is no object, the lab grade test kits made by Hach or LaMotte are far better than any of the aquarium grade test kits, but you'll be spending about $80 up on the test kit.

StirCrayzy

API GH/KH is what I've been using for years, and Salifert for Phos, Mg, and Ca.

API is good unless you are targeting ultra Low levels then the resolution could be a problem.

sirrealism

are you running any SPS in your tank. I for one am a big fan of Hanna checkers. Yes they are a bit more money to start with "About 50$" but then refills are pretty cheap Alk refill is 7$ on amazon. The nice thing is the tests are very good. My alk last night was 8.35 and 3 days ago it was 8.21. Is this a big change? No but I do know its rising so i can turn down my doser just a bit so it does not get out of line. Remember the more consistent we keep our tanks the better. so in the long run a better kit is worth wile. API gives you hole numbers only. A jump from 8-9 is more then I want in my systems. even if its just a softie tank

StirCrayzy

I do have a variety of sps Lps and a couple softies. I have one hot lava shortcake that started RTN, but now the rest is bouncing back. It's the only coral I've had something wrong with since last Nov when I upgraded to my current tank. And it stopped RTN on its own, I didn't do anything special.

Choff

I'm with SirR. Hannah checker for alk and phosphate . I use Red Sea for everything else. I find their test kits are much easier to use than salifert and I'm a sucker for a nice package vs cardboard box. The reef foundation kit comes all in one, Ca/alk/mg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sirrealism

does anyone use the red sea coral colors kit for iodine, potassium and iron. I have 2 of them and it is so complicated I have only tested with it once. I need to start using it

Choff

does anyone use the red sea coral colors kit for iodine, potassium and iron. I have 2 of them and it is so complicated I have only tested with it once. I need to start using it

Lol....I used them exactly once and I'm afraid my engineering degree is woefully inadequate to ever attempt using them again. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankie

RS STAFF
The KZ k+ ( potassium) test is fairly easy to use.
Elos makes a good teat kit also .
I use IPA for basics and salifert or LaMotte for more critical stuff.
Would like to one day invest into a few HATCH kits