Ryan's Red Sea Reef

audemars

:welcomera

This will serve as my thread for the progress of my tank from start to the point you think you are 'finished' but never really are.

I am a virgin Aquarius, a true first timer.

This forum has been wonderful and the people who populate it are extremely helpful.

It has been my observation that you guys love pictures. So lots of pics i will give! further more my job affords me the time to keep this thread up to date. I also have a video blog of my tank set up. you can check that out in my signature link.

So thats the start. the cycle is at its end, i just have to wait till i can pick up a CUC on Tuesday.

are hermits really that bad?

audemars

Re: Mega photo & video thread of RSM build

okay up and running

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

the map is for putting a small pic of the geo location of the animal/invert to see at a glance were its from. this will be framed above my tank

the other small tank is my QT.

as of now my cycle is over so i will adding my CUC here on tuesday. till then i am feeding the cycle small bits of uncooked flounder. is that good?
also are blue legged hermits all that bad as far as eating the snails?

dankent

+1 on the map idea :) thats cool ... never thought of that. Fantastic job with the rockwork as well !!!
:welcomera

websurfer

My blue legs only eat each other probably because they have been in the same shells since day one and kill for the larger shells

Dweezil

Congratulations ~ Excellent idea on the map. :) I would not have hermits in my tank but that's me. ;-)

audemars

Thanx guys! i guess if I get the hermies and they become a problem then i can fish them out as they are not to tuff to remove from what I have read.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Great pictorial thread! The rock looks fantastic! Hermits are very easy to catch!

reeferman

sweet startup!yes hermits eat a lot of snails and each other.i just keep enough empty shells to keep them somewhat satisfied,but never really content unless they are fed well.i have quite a few blue legs,scarletts,hawaiian zebras,electric blues,and halloween hermits.a lot of snails too,but theyve learned to stay up higher in the tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Nice start - thanks for sharing pics - aquascape/rocks looking good !

audemars

You guys want to know a funny story of a newb Aquarius?

so I come home with 40 gallons of RO water and set up my tank. then I pour in the water and add the salt. The book says it takes about 30 min to totally dissolve and to wait till then before continuing.
so i waited....
30 min later there is still a pretty good little amount at the bottom.
so i waited....
2 hours later, still there, and while i am waiting my live rock is fast becoming dead rock
but i wait....
6 hours later....still there! now i am not happy and i am asking RS whats the deal with the salt. people say, "well i have never seen it take that long." while i believe them it still dose not help me.:rocket:
So i finally get the idea to just siphon it out. as soon as this salt hits the bucket i look at it in disbelief.
Right away i can see that it was not salt at all but was sand that had gotten into the RO from the LFS and ended up in my tank when i added the water!!!!
under the RSM lights the sand looked like salt!

so i waited 6 hours for sand to dissolve.:drunk:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Funny story! I'm wondering how sand got into the LFS water though? It's not unusual to get a bit of precipitate that never dissolves, when adding salt to a new tank of water. Nothing to worry about.

audemars

to reefmack,

ya what happned is that i used some of the shops water jugs and so one just had some sand. Who knows what all they use those for.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Ahhhhhh - that makes sense now as to where the sand came from!

audemars

Okay here is some new toys i got in for my tank.

this is a kill-o-watt energy usage monitor so i can calculate what the electrical usage of the tank is and its subsequent cost.

IMG_0470.jpg

this is a web cam i ordered that i mounted on a tube that my map came in. i call it my 'video stick'
What i do with it is put it in front of my tank when i leave the house and i can check a live stream of my tank at youstream.tv i can also see it on my phone. sweet hu?

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

here is me kissing my new MP10!!! i am so excited to hook it up when i close my shop!

IMG_0474.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Nice idea on the cam! Another happy MP10 owner that loves his! ROTFLMAO!