RSM250 trouble with red SPS

Tim Duncan

I've recently added 2 red SPS frags to my tank (Red Planet, Sailors Warning), but for some reason they aren't keeping their color. I have one high and the other mid-level, but neither are staying red. Friends from my local forum are saying the RSM lighting isn't good enough to keep red SPS. I don't have problems with any other colors, just red. Can anyone here tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Anyone else had luck with red SPS? The frags have great PE and are growing like normal, just having the color issue. Please help

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Red Planet
Description:This acropora is truly stellar and sure to grow into the masterpiece of many reef tanks . It has a Vibrant Metallic Green undercoating , a brilliant Metallic Red skin , hot pink growth tips and even more striking bright red polyps. Fragments of this coral closely resemble what most might call a Acropora prostrata but it grows into a tightly spaced, flat topped, true table coral as it matures.The Red Planet Table displays excellent growth and color under a wide variety of lighting conditions and has proven to be one of our hardiest corals. You truly must see it to believe it. ORA coral frags (fragments) are well encrusted to the base on which they are grown. They are never sold until they are fully matured as individual coral colonies.
Requirements: The Red Planet prefers a high light level combined with strong intermittent water current within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will require the addition of supplemental calcium, strontium, and oth
Diet Requirements: For continued good health, they will require the addition of a two part calcium and buffer supplement in order to maintain a calcium level of 400-450 ppm and dKH of 8-12. They will benefit from the addition of zooplankton.
Tank Positioning: Alter the position in the aquarium depending on the lighting, and provide at least 5 watts per gallon using one of the systems mentioned above.

I think the 250 with stock lights provides 4 watts per gallon so it may be a bit short on light.

Tim Duncan

Thanks for the info goma. I was looking at the threads with RSM130 owners adding LED's to there existing hoods. Has anyone done this with there RSM250? If I can up my watts with LED's, I would love to do so.

Tim,

Here is a pic of my Red Planet and Hawkins Enchinata. The RP grew to that in six to eight months from a 1" frag. It is under stock lighting with ATI bulbs. It kept red but would lose its green base up high like it is. Down low it would have a dark green body.

5292011025.jpg

Hope it helps, -john

ausreef

Tim id be looking at your nutrient levels,thats usually what turns SPS brown,what are your phosphate and nitrate levels? phosphate needs to be measured on a hanna checker or red sea pro kit and needs to be below 0.05 for SPS

Tim Duncan

Tim,

Here is a pic of my Red Planet and Hawkins Enchinata. The RP grew to that in six to eight months from a 1" frag. It is under stock lighting with ATI bulbs. It kept red but would lose its green base up high like it is. Down low it would have a dark green body.

5292011025.jpg

Hope it helps, -john

Thanks John, at least I know that keeping a Red Planet can be done without losing color. I will keep working on mine and hopefully it bounces back

Tim Duncan

Tim id be looking at your nutrient levels,thats usually what turns SPS brown,what are your phosphate and nitrate levels? phosphate needs to be measured on a hanna checker or red sea pro kit and needs to be below 0.05 for SPS

ausreef, no nutrient problems here. I run a phosphate reactor with levels at 0.00.....so that's not the issue. Like I said in my first post, none of my corals are having issues but the 2 reds. Maybe they just need to be moved up super high for max light.

ElTurco

Tim ;

Many parameter may cause that result but strongly suggest to get rid of xenia. They are touching the valuable SPS and each other may struggle to survive ( meaning coral fight to open some space for their establishment ). For me if one could ask at the begining if I go with SPS would never put Xenia in the tank. They are very storong and generally speaking there is also discussion if Xenia to be considered as pests.

brgds

Tim Duncan

Tim ;

Many parameter may cause that result but strongly suggest to get rid of xenia. They are touching the valuable SPS and each other may struggle to survive ( meaning coral fight to open some space for their establishment ). For me if one could ask at the begining if I go with SPS would never put Xenia in the tank. They are very storong and generally speaking there is also discussion if Xenia to be considered as pests.

brgds

I don't have xenia in my tank. Those pictures are from offshore's tank

Sy101

Hi Tim,
I changed the standard rsm bulbs a couple of months ago and went for 3 ATI aquablue and 3 Blue bulbs and since then I have found all colours including reds to return to my Sps, I have been considering replacing a aqua bulb with purple plus as they r surposed to help with reds.
regardings LED's I have fitted dual tmc aquaray 600 (reef white, marine blue) to front and rear of the rsm t5's to give the light a little more power and allow sun rise, sun set with shimmer and love it

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you can slip a KZ Fiji Purple in the mix I think your reds & oranges will POP with color. that was my favorite bulb when I was running T5's.

Tim Duncan

Hi Tim,
I changed the standard rsm bulbs a couple of months ago and went for 3 ATI aquablue and 3 Blue bulbs and since then I have found all colours including reds to return to my Sps, I have been considering replacing a aqua bulb with purple plus as they r surposed to help with reds.
regardings LED's I have fitted dual tmc aquaray 600 (reef white, marine blue) to front and rear of the rsm t5's to give the light a little more power and allow sun rise, sun set with shimmer and love it

Nice Sy101, how did u retrofit the aquaray's into your hood? I would love to add them, but I have no idea how.

Sy101

It was really easy, i used the standard tmc plastic mount which comes with the light but added a screw to help hold the light to the mount. Then using tmc's mount screwed it to the inside of the rsm hood almost touching the clear plastic light cover leaving just enough space to open flap to change bulbs. Then I used sticky tabs with tie-wraps to run cable over to the rsm power unit, exited the tank there and using the tmc controller I have the lights come on 1 hour b4 mains lights with a 30 min ramp and then reverse it after main lights go out.
I'll try and add a pic in a sec