RSM250 - my first...

mitcheva

Hey all -

Bought a 250 back in the first week of Dec 09...still awaiting...apparently only 1-2 weeks away... apparently... :banghead:

I'll make sure I'll show you my progress - I have big plans!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club. Great to have you join us! Be sure to start a tank thread when you get it going. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

+1 I'll make sure I'll show you my progress - we love pics :)

reefhusker

Where did you order it from? I ordered mine from Marine Depot on New Years Eve and got it last monday. I'm surprised its taking this long. Lots of great help here from the experts!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
reefhusker - he's in Australia, and from other posts I've seen you have to special order one and wait, and wait, and wait.......

mitcheva

and wait...and wait...and yeah :)

will definately be adding pics and progress. Going to make it very "Australian" looking - love my reefs here

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome aboard Mitcheva. Great to see another aussie on the best RS forum around. Keep us posted.

mitcheva

ok
I want this thing to go off without a hitch (as best as possible anyway...)

Out of everyone's experiences so far, what do I try to aviod and tips for during the install and then when adding everything - oh and any easy mods!! (I have and will be installing a chiller and pump from the start)

Generally, how much sand, live rock etc is going to be needed?

I don't want too much rock - I want a clear path around the back, front and the sides - rock away from the walls if that makes any sense at all...

Coral sand? How much? Some people have mentioned a deep sea bed?

Any help/suggestions very appreciated!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Best advice - take your time assembling the cabinet, tank, and chiller - don't rush it and get it done right the first time. :) Don't run any pumps without water - they burn out quickly running them dry.

Live rock usually 1-1.5 pounds/gallon (.45 - .68 kg/ 3.78 liters) A lot depends on how dense the rock is - highly porous rock would be lighter and less needed. It also depends on the look you want and how much open space you want left on the sides, front and back of the rock. Tough question to answer.

The amount of sand and whether you want a deep sand bed or not I'll leave someone else answer. I'd advise against using all crushed coral (the large piece type) as it's known to trap a lot of debris. Aragonite based substrate seems to be what most use.

Ok - time for more opinions from others!

Dweezil

On the sand ~ My best advise is to try and figure out what kind of livestock you might want to keep and start researching it. Some fish like one I have definitely likes to have a deep sand bed. (Bluespot Jawfish) this is just an example. Try to figure out if your going to want burrowing animals or not and that helps make some of the choice for you. Other than that it is a matter of personal taste. As for the "easy" mods...that's a relative term, Allot of us like to add extra flow so if you've been reading these threads then you know most of us are huge fans of the Vortech MP10's 20's and in your case probably a MP40. Start by getting a brand new good name heater. The RSM heaters seem to fail 90% of the time and heaters are a cheap peice of mind. Use the stock heater for heating your water for water changes. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 Terry post...

cabinet - very nice & easy to assembly & Top Quality !

I went with 2 1/2" sand bed - of 0.1-0.2 Fine/Medium sand CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade reef Sand

I used about 35 pounds... it's a nice white sand.

Dweezil

On average I'd have to say about 4 inches 5 or 6 inches in some areas. Depends on what my crazy fish is doing at the time. :)