RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

rlking

Time for me to do some mods to my RSM.

Currently, I have:
1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown (male, smallish)
2 Yellow Clown Gobies
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Elephant Snail (hitchhiker)
1 Tiger? Cowry (small for a cowrie)
1 Medium Astraea Snail
1 Large Astraea Snail
3 Bumble Bee Snails
3 Super Tongan Snails
3 small hermit crabs
1 large electric blue hermit crab
1 tiger tail
2 Stomatella (that I know of, they were hitchhikers)

Equipment wise:
New filter floss and sponge
Added Chemi Pro (bottom of chamber of death)
Added Purigen (above Chemi Pro)
Added egg crate on top of Chemi Pro and Purigen (to keep them from being sucked into the return jets)

Still going to:
Tunze 9002 on order
Koralia 1 on order
Build custom rack and move Chemi Pro and Purigen into overflow chamber

Mods I'm thinking of doing.../Still deciding on:
Reefkeeper Elite/ACO Pro or... (wireless thermometer/ph sensor/ATO all separate)
Replace the power strip inside the tank with the Reefkeeper power strip/etc.
1 more fish
2 more sexy shrimp

My tank:
Picasa Web Albums - Ryan - Fish Tank Oct...

First question: is this the micro-bubble problem? or is this just standard reef bubbles...
http://www.youtube.com/v/-XLZ__n3nxI

Any other advice/suggestions would be great!

Ryan

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
rlking
:welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club. I'll have to wait till I get home from work to see your pictures & video - Picasa, Photobucket, You Tube, etc. are blocked here at my workplace. Sounds like you have some nice fish and cleanup crew. The custom media rack sounds like a great idea too - Keep us posted with a picture if you build it. Sounds like you have some great ideas in planning. How long have you had your RSM?

As I said, I can't see the possible microbubble video. Maybe someone else will comment on it in the meantime. As you probably already know microbubbles can be skimmer related and/or related to the water level/flow too low in back, which can drop the level in the pump chamber and cause the pumps to pull in air.

Don't forget to check out the rest of Reef Sanctuary, as well as the other threads in the RSM Club section! And start a thread on your RSM if you wish.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
rlking - Finally got to see the picture & video. The tank pic is small, but from what i can see looks nice - lots of coralline on the rock it looks like?

I couldn't see any major microbubble problem in the video. I saw a few larger bubbles, but nothing that looked mazor orf a problem. Is your water level in the pump chamber up near the top of the pumps? I still get some microbubbles and I just live with them - they're not really harmful. I've even had a few "whiteouts" of microbubbles in the past (starved pumps) - so many that the tank looked like it was filled with white paint, but nothing was ever harmed.

rlking

Yep, that is all coralline algae. I'm getting the occasional burst of bubbles which I attribute to the bag of purigen getting stuck in the intake. My jerry-rigged egg crate barrier isn't working perfectly... but I'll let it lay for now. Once i get the tunze... all that stuff is coming out of the chamber of death.

I'm surprised the picture is low-rez. It should be 1600x1200.

I'm not sure if StevieT is still reading this thread but I had a question about his media rack. My bad mod of his picture: Picasa Web Albums - Ryan - Fish Tank Oct...

I was wondering how well the water flow works out the bottom with the last bag sitting on the bottom and being enclosed by the plastic..? I may have this wrong.

Ryan

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
rlking - I figured out how to see your pics larger on Picassa - noticed an Asterina star in the left back corner? Lots of nice coralline on the rock!

On the StevieT basket - I have Chemi-Pure Elite on the bottom, but I had to suspend it off the bottom with a plastic cable tie or it cut my flow too much. I also removed some CPE from the bag before hanging it. I have Purigen on the second shelf, and a small bag of SeaGel on the top, with a filter pad over it. That works well for me as long as I rinse/replace the filter pad every 3 -4 days. I'm not even sure StevieT knows about this forum or the RSB Club setup here.

jb673

Reefmack;
Here you go!
007.jpg

jb673

Reefmack;
Just learning how to post photos-will add more. My RSM, all original!
Much Thanks for All your Support!
Jerry

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jerry - I'll have to wait till I get home to give you the "oooos & ahhhhhs" on your tank LOL! (Photobucket and most picture posting places are blocked here at work). Now that you're mastering picture posting, post a picture in the "Full Tank RSM Photos" thread here in the RSM Club section:

Full Tank RSM Photos

Happy reefing!

Edit - Finally got to see the pic. Looking good! That toadstool is going to take over the world! :)

Last edited:
Worth mentioning?

One of my RSM pictures has won this month photo contest... :)

I was going to say "Hey wasn't it a RSMer that won?"

Congrats! I don't think I really got to meet you, I'm JD!

Well I'm hoping to keep up the streak and win the November contest, I have a really nice shot I'm going to enter closer to the date... I am just watching my competition for now.

Last edited:

jb673

Reefmack;
Thanks for the feedback! Camera is Coolpix 4500, with about 3 megapixals, & by todays' standards, very weak-hope to update the camera very soon.
Couple of points-Now at almost a year, the ONLY casulty has been the Flame Angel that I mentioned in an earlier post. Also, NO substrate, although its' beginning to accumulate on the bottom of the tank & looks great. I realize their is a great substrate "debate" within the the saltwater community, but after reviewing both sides of the issue, I feel a 34GAL tank is really vulnerable to a variety of issues that lead to failure. No substrate, which was recommended by my LFS has, in my humble opinion, made all the difference.
Wish everyone The Best!
Jerry

steveh

Photo contest winner

Congrats on winning the monthly photo contest. Nice to see a RSM reefer getting top marks!

I know, I uploaded it and it said it went through so I was questioning if it was processing because it didn't show up right away = Pm'd a mod. She just said it didn't go through and so I just did it again. It's up now! :) Officially entered!!! Ohhhh yeah! LOL

Iostream

Wow, thanks to Reefmack, I found the new thread... Glad to see things are still going strong. My RSM is going through some large changes at the moment. The frogspawn and SPS as well as all of the fish from my RSM are now in my 90 Gallon tank which only took me a few months to get going.. The RSM only has the xenia, some GSP, and zoas, and as of yesterday a very small snowflake eel. I will eventually add one or two more aggressive but small fish to it. The tank has been doing well after switching it to use SteveT's media basket and the Tunze skimmer. I will post some pictures once the eel is settled and somewhat visible.