RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

MrsPeer

Here's a FTS. It would be 5 months old in one week.

I'm starting to get some algae on the glass and today, while helping out at the LFS, got quite a few turbo, nassarius, and cerith snails to try to get rid of the algae as much as I can. I think I need to replace my DI Resin as it's turning an amber color and the TDS reads 5ppm.

One of my nems move to the back corner against the glass as you can see in the picture.

I'm sorry for the bad picture. This is the reason why I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon DSLR and I'm hoping once I get familiar with the camera, my next purchase will be a macro lens for it so I can take better close-up pictures of the corals.

P9211052cs.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If anyone gets "lost", we now have our own subforum, created for us by Travis!

RSM_Club.jpg

I have some questions in to Travis on how we can best make use of this new setup for us - to help avoid the "neverending thread" that was on the RC forum, and to make it easier to find things that have been posted in the past.

MrsPeer - it sounds like new DI resin is called for if the TDS has gone to 5 from zero. I'll check out the FTS when I can see it at home tonight.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just added some suggestions on how we can hopefully make the new RSM forum work the best for us:

My suggestions

I'm open to everybody's opinions! I don't want to appear to be running the show here.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reefmack - Is there any other photo album website that you can view from work?

I do see some pictures at times, and I can see gallery pictures here. I think the commonly used ones for posting, like Photobucket and Flicker are the ones blocked at work. No biggie - I just catch up when I get home. The tank is looking great and I love the color on those RBTAs!

grandy

MrsPeer: Hey, your tank looks great!! Your rock is very interesting ... neat shapes!

Laurent: I understand your frustration with the RSM. Our battles are similar. Last week, I had the tank looking pretty good after spending hours harvesting hair algae, & cleaning up. Today, it looks almost as bad as it did a week ago. It seems to be a losing battle here. :closed: It is impossible to get all the algae out ... by hand, anyway, or even with a suction hose & toothbrush. Ugh!

Reefmack: I think that this club is coming along nicely & the new changes will be great too!

Arreola

3 more inhabitants!!!

I just came from the LFS, my intention was to buy a buffer (that they did not have), and I just could not resist my self, and got 2 Blue Leged Hermit Crabs (small ones) and a Sleeper Banded Goby.

This inhabitants are my part of my cleening crew.
Good choice? Bad Choice?

Hope that I can post some pictures soon

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - those sound like very nice additions to me. I think the Banded Sleeper Goby is one of the sand sifter gobies as well. It's a pretty fish that I don't see very often. Spoke too soon - there's currently a picture of one in the gallery pictures at the top of my screen when looking at the forum listings LOL!

Arreola

Here are the pictures.-
Sleeper Banded Goby (Amblygobius phalaena)
GobioArenero.jpg

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab Small (Clibanarius tricolor)
Hermitaochico2.jpg

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab larege (Clibanarius tricolor)
HermitaoGrande2.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - those are great pictures! And the the best picture I've ever seen of a Banded Sleeper goby!

LPSLuver

Arreola...I hope you don't wind up regretting the Sleeper Banded Gogy (AKA Bullet Goby). They are one of the best sand sifters available, but they are really messy. They are hover gobies. They grab mouthfuls of substrate and sift through it while hovering above the bottom of the tank. They get sand everywhere and this can kill some corals by smothering them or irritating them so they do not extend. I had one in my 90 and got rid of it after it "killed" a couple of coral.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPSLuver - interesting on the "hover gobies". That's information that LFS and online vendors don't share. Let's hope that Arreola's doesn't hover too far above the substrate!

Arreola

LPSLuver - Thanks on the info about the Goby.

At this time, it has only put some sand in my plate coral, when it was eating some of the algae arround this coral, but a few minutes later the plate "remove" the sand from its body.
I will keep a close eye on this once.

On the other hand, this goby is been removing the brown algae from the sand, so far so good.

Also it been a constant battle betwin the Sailfin Bleny and the Goby, I just hope that they don't kill each other.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Laurent/Grandy - Are you both adding marine snow or a similar coral food to your tanks? I was reading another thread here on RS that had some folks state that they had some real problems with the use of marine snow causing outbreaks of hair algae, cyano, etc. I assume it's because the majority of these coral foods end end up uneaten and settling on the rock and substrate.

Reefmack: I added some Marine Snow long time ago, at the very beginning of my RSM when I got my first corals. It had no effect at all on corals but it was always creating a mini-bloom of algae on the next days. I gave up adding "coral food" after two or three feedings.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reefmack: I added some Marine Snow long time ago, at the very beginning of my RSM when I got my first corals. It had no effect at all on corals but it was always creating a mini-bloom of algae on the next days. I gave up adding "coral food" after two or three feedings.

Oh well, I'm still trying to think of things that may help you.