Rsm Hood Fan Noise

choppa1971

Hi,
I have read several issues regarding noisy hood fans and wondered if anyone out there had replaced them with another product??

Regards
Pete

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pete,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Mine are silent, do you have a 130 or 130D? I bet the newest ones from RSM should be silent. I have read some post, where members replaced them with PC fans & reported they were very quite. But I think Red Sea latest fans are very quite, mine our...

FCatCH76

I swapped mine for lower dB fans from Newegg, I tried to find my original post about but no luck. I want to say the OEM fans are 60mm thick. The fans I bought were $3.99 each.

I'll go over to my Newegg account and get a link for you.

Newegg.com - EVERCOOL FAN-EC6015M12CA 60mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Helped a little and I mean a little, any lesser in dB will drop your CFM's. I am just happy I have replacements that are cheaper than RSM.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Pete -

welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

Is it a 130 model? The older 130 fans were notorious for making a racket at they got to 6-8 months old - almost like a jet engine taking off when they came on. The newer Red Sea replacement fans seem to be better (so far). Or, one of the higher quality non-RS fans that will fit are another option.

choppa1971

Pete,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Mine are silent, do you have a 130 or 130D? I bet the newest ones from RSM should be silent. I have read some post, where members replaced them with PC fans & reported they were very quite. But I think Red Sea latest fans are very quite, mine our...

Hi,
It's the 130D model and is only 3weeks old :smack:
Already had to have a new heater as the original would only heat to 25.7 even when set to max....Not a great start to RSM so far:hammerhea

Thanks for the good advise folks:bow:

choppa1971

Pete -

Is it a 130 model? The older 130 fans were notorious for making a racket at they got to 6-8 months old - almost like a jet engine taking off when they came on. The newer Red Sea replacement fans seem to be better (so far). Or, one of the higher quality non-RS fans that will fit are another option.

Cheers, I will look into better fans I think as its a competition between the noisy fans and moaning wife:LOL:

choppa1971

Pete -

Terry, jet engine isnt far off !:hammerhea

Going to see if I can find some alternatives here in UK.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Bummer on the fans. 3 weeks is really short for that noise to start already, especially on a 130D. I wonder if the fans just aren't seated properly, but it would involve taking the hood apart to find out. Better to have replacements on hand if you have to do all that work. The heater doesn't surprise me - it seems like the heater on all RSMs are junk!

ausreef

Hi,
I have read several issues regarding noisy hood fans and wondered if anyone out there had replaced them with another product??

Regards
Pete

any 50x50x15 computer fans fit,i used the maglev ones,obviously the more you pay the quieter the fans,its an easy job to fit them, red sea have a walkthrough on their site