RSM C-250 Journey in Las Vegas!

Thanks, inquiry sent.

10% water change.
Chemi-pure Elite added
Purigen added

Cool new magnifiying glass on tank for kids...great learning/gazing tool for them and they really love it. Some of the pictures above were taken through it.

Last edited:
Day 18...ugly tank stage is blooming.

Nitrates slowly falling...40 ppm reading last night. I'm about to do the second 10% water change in three days tonight...hopefully the numbers keep falling.

Bryopsis: Scrubbed the "suspects" off w/ a toothbrush a couple of days ago with no signs of anything growing back...will keep an eye out.

IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5263.JPG

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nitrates slowly falling...40 ppm reading last night. I'm about to do the second 10% water change in three days tonight...hopefully the numbers keep falling

Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Day 19,

What a mess!!!

Diatoms are everywhere! Please tell me this is normal :)

Nitrates: <2.5 ppm
Phosphates: .25ppm...can't seem to get below this number!

Questions for you experts to answer please:

1. My CUC currently consists of two turbo snails....thats it. Should I buy more or will this diatoms business pass on it's own?

2. How long for Diatoms to pass?

3. It seems like there are tons of tiny bubbles being pushed out by the air pumps...something new (see pics)....any idea why?

Any other advice?

IMG_5303.JPG IMG_5304.JPG IMG_5305.JPG IMG_5306.JPG IMG_5307.JPG

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
bubbles on the rocks are part of the nitrogen cycle, will pass
microbubbles from the pumps are low water level, impeded flow (like dirty filers) or trash in the impellers

here a post on the diatoms you may enjoy...
brown & green algae in new tanks

Love snails for cuc - my cuc consist of (snails, Ceriths, Nassarius, Margarita Turbos, Astrea & Banded Trochus, Mexican Turbos, Blue Tux Urchin and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp)

one snail per gallon is what I like - starting off... I would add a dozen every month or so...

Long time RS Sponsor Reef Cleaners (owners name is John, always great reviews on customer service) has Free Shipping on snails "Quick Crews" packages

one example: $36.00
https://www.reefcleaners.org/index....mart_product_id=229&virtuemart_category_id=20

Shipped for free via Priority Mail you will get:

47 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

15 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

17 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Choose the Free Priority Mail Quick Crew shipping option at checkout. You can add any items to this order WITHOUT a star* next to their name and they would ship for free as well. For example, the Rock Boring Urchin* cannot be shipped with 2 day Mail

bubbles on the rocks are part of the nitrogen cycle, will pass
microbubbles from the pumps are low water level, impeded flow (like dirty filers) or trash in the impellers

here a post on the diatoms you may enjoy...
brown & green algae in new tanks

Love snails for cuc - my cuc consist of (snails, Ceriths, Nassarius, Margarita Turbos, Astrea & Banded Trochus, Mexican Turbos, Blue Tux Urchin and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp)

one snail per gallon is what I like - starting off... I would add a dozen every month or so...

Long time RS Sponsor Reef Cleaners (owners name is John, always great reviews on customer service) has Free Shipping on snails "Quick Crews" packages

one example: $36.00
https://www.reefcleaners.org/index....mart_product_id=229&virtuemart_category_id=20

Shipped for free via Priority Mail you will get:

47 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

15 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

17 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Choose the Free Priority Mail Quick Crew shipping option at checkout. You can add any items to this order WITHOUT a star* next to their name and they would ship for free as well. For example, the Rock Boring Urchin* cannot be shipped with 2 day Mail
Thanks again for the links and great advice. I'm off to the LFS in the morning to pick up more snails...the diatoms are exploding!

I need to investigate the micro-bubbles that the pumps are all-of-a-sudden putting out...from both sides.

All readings seem to be "in the green" depsite the dirty mess.

Have a great weekend.

Day 23

I added a good CUC yesterday consisting of roughly 40-50 snails...and few little hermits as well. I have not seen anything else resembling Bryopsis pop up since I cleaned the LR it was growing on. I'm now thinking that maybe it wasn't the dreaded algae.

A few questions that I'm hoping you guys will answer:

1. Water is cloudy all of a sudden today...is this normal as a new tank goes through algae blooms? Anything I can do about it? My media consists of Chemi-pure elite, purigen and a little bit of filter media. There seems to be free-floating particles in the tank.

2. Should I limit the T5 lighting at this point?

3. Should I use more filter media?

4. Alkalinity is reading 16...how can I lower it?

5. Nitrates seem to have risen again from 2.5 to 30ppm...I've been doing water changes very frequently...indicative of a something I'm not doing right?

The CUC has done a good job already on the diatoms but when the lights come on during the day they come back with a vengeance.

Antics

Moose,

Did you ever find out what that hitchhiker was? Looks like aiptasia to me, but everyone thinks everything is aiptasia. :p

Moose,

Did you ever find out what that hitchhiker was? Looks like aiptasia to me, but everyone thinks everything is aiptasia. :p

Sorry for the delay in response! Yes the LFS sold me this coral with aiptasia on it. I used Aiptasia-X on it and it has not spread that I can see.

Day 64.

I think all is well! I'm still trying to get the ATO to work...I think the sensor might be broken.

I've been keeping up with weekly water changes...10-15%. Also, I've had a couple of business trips that has not seem to impacted the tank.

About a month ago I found my smaller clown in the sump (rear section) dead...I've since installed plastic mesh as a screen door.

Cycling: I've really only had a minor Diatom bloom...nothing else. I'm currently dealing with a minor cyano bloom...hoping it goes away on it's own (I have since installed one of the used MP-10Ws that came with the tank).

You'll notice in the pics that there are still little bubbles all over the rocks, snails, etc...will this go away on it's own?

Happy Saturday!
IMG_5476.JPG IMG_5477.JPG IMG_5479.JPG IMG_5480.JPG IMG_5481.JPG IMG_5482.JPG IMG_5483.JPG IMG_5484.JPG

TEA

Keep up the water changes. Blow off your rock work every couple of weeks to clear it of detritus. The cyano will pass. Doesn't look that bad. It may get worse before it gets better. The bubbles will clear over time.

Evan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk