RSM C-250 Journey in Las Vegas!

Day 4!

Happy Tuesday Evening!

So I think I have the chiller calibrated more accurately to the thermometers. The temps are finally stable between 79 - 80. The tank seems pretty clear (finally) after getting home from work today and not any more noticeable algae growth.

Parameters:

• Nitrate: 40ppm (water change in T- 3...2...1...)
  • Phos: Still .25 ppm
  • Calcium: 429 ppm
  • Alk: 10.92 dkH
  • Salinity: 1.026
  • PH: 8.1 (rise of .6 from yesterday)
I am building a 2x4 stand for the garage tank and am getting that setup asap to make way for the imminent CUC and first tank friends in the next week...will post pics when complete.

My iphone camera sucks at taking pics of the tank so I will begin to use a real camera in the future. In the meantime...here are a couple of pics from day 4. I'm using Aquarimate from the app store to record all parameters.

I still need to hook up the two powerheads, ATO and doser...hopefully by the end of this weekend but there is no hurry.

Edit: 1st water change complete!
Should I add more sand?

23 Feb.JPG 23 Feb.JPG

Last edited:
Day 5:

Surprising...but I expected to see an explosion of algae (GHA, Diatoms, Cyano) by this point but have only noticed the slight darkening of the LR (Diatoms). Also, the parameters seem to be all over the place at this point. Yesterday the Nitrates were reading 40 PPM and today they came in at ~2.5 ppm (after a 5G water change).

Today's Parameters:
  • Temp: somewhere between 78-79.
  • Salinity: 1.024 (water change brought it down by .002...hope to keep it here
  • Nitrates: ~2.5ppm
  • PH: 8.1
  • Phosphates: .25ppm (still high I believe)
24 Feb.JPG

Last edited:
Day 6:

Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.024
Alk: 178 ppm (9.9 dkh)
PH: 8.1
Nothing much to report today. Minor algae growth...looks like Diatoms coming in slow but sure. This weekend I will be hooking up the ATO system...no need for the doser yet.

I'm reluctant to put a CUC in there anytime soon...doesn't seem like there is much to clean up as of yet. More pictures soon...I promise!

Last edited:
Day 13

As you can see the garage tank is up and running w/ 3 small Chromis in waiting. They've been there for three days and are doing fine...will be the very first additions to the DT which is in day 13 of cycling.

DT Readings:

1.024 Salinity
Chiller keeps it nice between 79-80 degrees
PH. 8.3
Ammonia: ~0ish...that whole color chart...might be somewhere between 0 and 0.25
Nitrites:0
Nitrates: Seem high @ ~40ppm

Still trying to get a camera that can show the DT properly.

As of now I have see 0 GHA growth...minor diatoms...I would have expected a lot more by this point but hopefully it means that patience and proper cycling is being rewarded with minimal algae growth.

Per my guidance I should have a CUC in there by now but there doesn't really seem to be anything for them to clean up. I want to ensure the ammonia is at 0 before I place the Chromis in the tank. The Reef Mature Kit has me putting fish in there on day 14 (tomorrow)...that will depend on the readings.

Are the high nitrate readings normal for this stage of the cycle? Could it mean unexpected die off from the LR?

Still wondering on CUC as well...i'll post the best picture I can tomorrow.

As for the sump...all I've been running is the skimmer along with some filter media in the media basket. I'm holding off on the Chemipure-elite and Puriten until after the cycle..

Thoughts? Advice?

2 March.JPG IMG_0560.JPG

Day 16 of tank cycling.

I finally busted out my regular camera...here are pics of the tank today. I returned the Chromis because they appeared to be sick on day two in the QT. As you can see a couple of clowns are their replacement.

I would have expected to see much more algae by now...no real growth...

Help! The first pic below shows a close up of what I am hoping is not Bryopsis...can someone diagnose please??

IMG_5203.JPG IMG_5208.JPG IMG_5210.JPG IMG_5216.JPG IMG_5202.JPG IMG_5205.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5211.JPG
    IMG_5211.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5212.JPG
    IMG_5212.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

TEA

Not sure about the Bryopsis it doesn't look like it to me but others can advise better than I. I added some CUC around day 15 of my tank and the first fish went in close to 30 days after initial fill. I didn't see much algae other then diatoms at first either. About 6-8 months in is when I got hit with GHA which I have since eradicated thankfully. About 3-4 months in the Cyano came in and almost drove me crazy but that subsided as well after about 30 days or so. You will go through lots of swings in your tank as it matures over the next year. Best advice I can personally give is to go slow. Nice rock work by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the Bryopsis it doesn't look like it to me but others can advise better than I. I added some CUC around day 15 of my tank and the first fish went in close to 30 days after initial fill. I didn't see much algae other then diatoms at first either. About 6-8 months in is when I got hit with GHA which I have since eradicated thankfully. About 3-4 months in the Cyano came in and almost drove me crazy but that subsided as well after about 30 days or so. You will go through lots of swings in your tank as it matures over the next year. Best advice I can personally give is to go slow. Nice rock work by the way.

TEA,

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take it slow. Your tank looks great!

Can anyone else weigh in on the zoomed in pic above? I'm looking for opinions on whether I have Bryopsis already.

Last edited:

TEA

I just realized today is my one year anniversary for my tank. Yep, lots of coralline growing! [emoji3]
bf361bcce46706692b1dc88856b395aa.jpg

TEA

Thank you!
I've got 5 total.
Two mated Davinci Clowns
Yellow Tang
Green Mandarin
Lawnmower Blenny
When I stated the tank I had planned on a very low fish load. I wanted to concentrate on coral more than anything.

I'm looking to supplement a couple of turbo snails w/ dry seaweed. Anyone know if it effects phosphates, etc. if not used sparingly? Does it matter how long it stays in the tank (in a mesh)?

A few more pics from Day 17.

Doing a pretty healthy water change today. Also, picked up a Lettuce Nudibranch, single Emerald Crab and a skunk cleaner.

I do believe the picture in the previous post is Bryopsis...so will be planning on scrubbing and raising magnesium as a last resort.

IMG_5230.JPG IMG_5234.JPG IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5240.JPG