RSM 250 Lights Not Working- HELP

orieng

Hi, the lights of my 20 month old RSM 250 have stopped working from today. When the lights are on " on " position the cooling fan works but the T5 lights are not working. Can somebody please guide me the solution to the problem. I will also like to add that I cannot expect any support from REd Sea as I live in the north east part of India and Red Sea has no support in India. The solution will have to be completely DIY. Suggestions are requested please or else my corals will all perish. Thanks in advance.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
MAX 250 Hood Disassembling and Reassembling ...

Here how to take the hood apart, if you end up needing to... as for support from Red Sea - you should be able to get advise from the Red Sea Reps Avaid or Kev here... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea/37228-ask-red-sea.html

and parts like a ballast (if needed)

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/downloads/Replacing fans.pdf

Amazon.com: Red Sea Max Replacement Ballast 2 X 39W: Pet Supplies

Other RS members might can tell you how to use a multimeter to diagnosis
Extech MN35 | Digital Multimeters

orieng

Thanks for the links Glenn. I will start troubleshooting tomorrow evening and open the hood. In the meantime I had done a preliminary investigation and found that the fuse unit near the timer is not getting power. I wonder if somebody can tell me from where does the fuse unit connected to. I think the problem is in the part to which the fuse is connected. Any pointers is much appreciated.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the links Glenn. I will start troubleshooting tomorrow evening and open the hood. In the meantime I had done a preliminary investigation and found that the fuse unit near the timer is not getting power. I wonder if somebody can tell me from where does the fuse unit connected to. I think the problem is in the part to which the fuse is connected. Any pointers is much appreciated.

I think it would be in your best interest to borrow someone (friend, co worker electrical teacher at local college....) or hire someone with the tools and electrical ability to troubleshoot a wiring problem. Odds are you'll be money ahead to get it done by someone with the right tools (testers) and know-how.

orieng

Yes. That is what I am doing. I have asked a friend who is a electrical engineer with all the right tools to help me tomorrow night. And I am hoping that I can find the right spare part here in my city after identifying the problem. How many days can my corals tolerate without any light?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your corals will be fine for 4 or 5 days for sure... people black out tanks for algae problems for this long...

tnwillia

The fuse is only in the DC path not the AC path. Your lights are on the AC path and the fans on the DC path. So, Glenn probably already gave you this. The schematics are towards the bottom of each PDF. I'm guessing you lost a ballest but it could just be loose connections too, others have had wire connectors work loose. With your friends help you should be able to get it troubleshot then comes finding the parts needed.

If your AC power/frequency is less than stable or you have surges you might want to order more than one replacement as it will likely happen again under those conditions. Good luck!

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/downloads/Hood Diagnostic Chart.pdf

Red Sea MAX | Downloads

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sidebar - I think you know this... but if the fans don't work, it's a safety feature & the lights won't come on.

orieng

If any one of my ballast have failed , will it cut power to the other two? All my six lights have failed so what could be the probable cause. I guess I will only know when open the hood. Will keep you all updated

orieng

Found the problem in my hood. It appears that all the three ballast's died at the same time. Tomorrow I will have to buy new ones and than replace them. Thank you all for your suggestions

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome !

Weird that all three ballast's died at the same time, wonder if a power spike could have cause this?

How hard was it taking the hood apart? How long did it take?

orieng

Yea.. Very weird that all the three ballast's died at the same time. The opening of hood was quite simple but identifying the fault took a bit of time. I wonder how long it will take to put back hood once the replacement is complete. Will update when all is done.