RSM 250 Circ Pump 1 Issues

About 3 weeks ago my circulation pump 1 went out. I took the impeller out to see if anything was stuck but I found nothing. I called RedSea since I had just bought the tank in May. They sent one out and I replaced it last Monday. Last night I hear the new pump being very loud. The water is still circulating but it's extremely loud (just like it sounded before my first pump went out). I've put my hand down in the chamber and there's nothing in there that would be causing the pump to get jammed up or anything. Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the cause? Thanks for the help. I want to try everything possible before I call RedSea again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Was it the pump or just the impeller that was replaced? Is it a Hydor or the newer, less troublesome Sicce pump?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe the circ pumps are still Hydors? I'll let some 250 owners get in here and let us know. I know there were lots of problems with the Hydor skimmer pumps, and some with the circ pumps, but I'm not sure what brand the circ, pumps should be.

imaccat

Hi,

I've not had a problem with the pump, but I was just wondering if you have the pump resting on the bottom of the chamber (therefore causing a vibration) rather than having it suspended?

I'm almost 100% positive it's a Hydor. When I called a few weeks back they asked the brand that I had cause they were going to replace it with the same one. I'll check in a few minutes when I take it out. I'm not positive if it's resting on the bottom of the chamber. I'll check that out too. I don't remember cutting the tubing that came with it originally when I set the tank up so whatever length the tube was should still be the same length. Thanks for the help thus far everyone!

OK my bad, it was a Sicce that they sent. I took the pump out of the chamber and just put it in the tank and I'm not hearing the rattling. However the pump is not touching the bottom of the chamber, so I'm not sure what the cause is? I've felt as far as I can reach in the chamber and I'm not feeling anything aside from the walls of the chamber....

steved13

PREMIUM
Every story I've heard on here they replaced it with the sicce, that's why I asked. You hear the same rattling with both the original and the replacement pumps?

I was messing around with the old pump and while I was messing with it the back part of the impeller broke, so maybe that was part of the rattling on that one. However, today I just turned the pump on after messing with it and let it run loud for a bit and it finally got quite....I still never really found out what it was :shrug: