RSM 250 C Maintenance - how often do you clean pumps, etc.

Salty150

• Replace the filter floss in the top of the media rack (twice a week)
Wouldn't you want the filter floss on the bottom shelf in the media rack?

Wouldn't you want all of the larger particulate matter removed before it went through/to your Purigen and ChemiPure Elite?

Pat24601

Wouldn't you want the filter floss on the bottom shelf in the media rack?

Wouldn't you want all of the larger particulate matter removed before it went through/to your Purigen and ChemiPure Elite?

You may be looking for Melvis's opinion (which is 100% fine), but I did talk about this a bit here in case you didn't see it:RSM C-250 Media Rack Help Needed

For me, this is a convenience issue. Since I'm changing the filter floss twice a week, I want it on the top shelf to make it easy. Especially since my media rack is pretty difficult to get in and out (not sure about everyone else's).

Theoretically, yes, you would want it on the bottom for the reasons you say. So, it is the filtered water going through the chemical media. If it was on the bottom, though, I'd change it much less frequently. So, practical over ideal/optimal in my case. :)

melvis

Hi Salty....erm, how do I put this.....erm...I didn't think of that!!!! lmfao!

Now I've read what both you and Pat have said, it makes perfect sense and is probably something I should change. Problem I have is that the only decent place for my ATO sensors is in the chamber for the media rack - nestling under the handle and above the top shelf. Putting the floss on the bottom will mean awkward (but not insurmountable) changes more frequently. :)

CDMSeaLife

Poly filter? Do you have a link so I can be sure what you mean?

I've been using this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B50UPE0/?tag=reefsanc-20

However, I just googled and I think you mean this (which I didn't know existed). If this is better, I'll switch. :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335
Hi Pat, yes it's the Drsfostersmith link. And it's free shipping if you buy over $49.00 worth, at least here in the states. I buy a bunch when they have a sale.

CDMSeaLife

OK, I guess I was always told that less gallons more often is much better for your system than large gallons less often.

I was told that large amounts shock the system and inhabitants more than smaller, more frequent amounts.

So, Ideally, on the Max C 250 - changing out 2 gallons a day would be the "best" solution - but not a very "practical" one...

Anyone else have this impression?
Hi Melvin, I've also read daily small water changes would probably be ideal. But a little too much work for me.

CDMSeaLife

My tank has been running 8 months and the only pump I have cleaned so far as been the skimmer. My left hand pump is pigheaded (if I turn if off for any reason it only starts 1 out of 5 times) so I have to take it up to the top of the tank height to get it to start again therefore I know it is still in good condition. I removed my sponges and just have carbon, purigen and siliphos in the media rack. Chemi pure elite is not available here. My water changes are 20% weekly, I replace the carbon every month, siliphos ever 3 months and purigen when it gets dark. I syphon the sand each water change and often give it a stir around during the week int he areas I can easily get to.

+1 to the polyfilter link please :)
Hi Adrienne, the link is posted below. I was reading one of your older posts were you mentioned you use just one filter sponge on the left, are you still doing that?
Thanks for your help.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

CDMSeaLife

Weekly I do the following:
  • Major glass cleaning once a week (although could probably do with being more frequent)
  • 10% W/C (20% if I've got unusually high nitrates)
  • Blow the rocks with a turkey baster
  • Syphon the sand bed
  • Remove the sponge and rinse it to death (still debating with self over it's removal)
  • Replace the filter floss in the top of the media rack (twice a week)
  • Clean the wet side of my MP10 and the RSM C130 pump outlet nozzle
  • Remove the skimmer cup and give that a thorough clean (twice a week in fact)
I've just replaced my Purigen and CPE as they have been up and running for 6 months. Took the time to give the media rack and the ATO sensors a good clean too. Will probably clean the pump at this point too, although not going to bother with skimmer pump as that's getting replaced when the new one finally turns up. So all of this will now be my 6 monthly routine maintenance.

Getting a conch to deal with sand issues, and hoping that will mean I can stop syphoning so frequently, maybe moving this to monthly with gentle stirring on a weekly basis.
I have a conch he does great work and he's very cool.

Salty150

Hi Salty....erm, how do I put this.....erm...I didn't think of that!!!! lmfao!

Now I've read what both you and Pat have said, it makes perfect sense and is probably something I should change. Problem I have is that the only decent place for my ATO sensors is in the chamber for the media rack - nestling under the handle and above the top shelf. Putting the floss on the bottom will mean awkward (but not insurmountable) changes more frequently. :)

Hey,

So... where are you going to put your ATO sensors now? lol :)

I am looking to get one and wondering where I would put mine!

What model ATO did you get - and do you like it?

Let me know!

melvis

Looks like I'm going to have to have a rethink....although it's not too much of a pain shifting it each time I suppose, might also mean I can keep it that bit cleaner.

As with Pat, I too use the Tunze 3155. Absolutely love it and definitely one of the best things I bought for the tank, after my MP10. lol

Salty150

Hey, if the OP will indulge me... :)

Would someone mind giving me the actual measurements of the actual viewing area of the tank...?

It states that the measurements of the tank are 22" high x 21" wide x 37" long - but that includes quite a bit of space taken up by the top/lights, bottom rim, and the rear sump.

Thanks in advance!

:celebrate:

Pat24601

Looks like I'm going to have to have a rethink....although it's not too much of a pain shifting it each time I suppose, might also mean I can keep it that bit cleaner.

As with Pat, I too use the Tunze 3155. Absolutely love it and definitely one of the best things I bought for the tank, after lol

I would be cognizant of your maintenance load. Don't add maintenance you don't want to do for a theoretical reason. If it makes your life harder and your tank is doing fine, why switch it up? I find unwanted maintenance can lead to maintenance lapses. But, that's me. :)

I agree about the ATO. I can't imagine not having one.

Danreef

OK, I guess I was always told that less gallons more often is much better for your system than large gallons less often.

I was told that large amounts shock the system and inhabitants more than smaller, more frequent amounts.

So, Ideally, on the Max C 250 - changing out 2 gallons a day would be the "best" solution - but not a very "practical" one...

Anyone else have this impression?

If you can do daily small WC, you are correct !!

Danreef

My tank has been running 8 months and the only pump I have cleaned so far as been the skimmer. My left hand pump is pigheaded (if I turn if off for any reason it only starts 1 out of 5 times) so I have to take it up to the top of the tank height to get it to start again therefore I know it is still in good condition. I removed my sponges and just have carbon, purigen and siliphos in the media rack. Chemi pure elite is not available here. My water changes are 20% weekly, I replace the carbon every month, siliphos ever 3 months and purigen when it gets dark. I syphon the sand each water change and often give it a stir around during the week int he areas I can easily get to.

+1 to the polyfilter link please :)

Adrienne. .... take out the pump and check the impeler.
Mine was doing that. The impeller was cracked and water was in contact with the magnet. Rusted the magnet and the magnet increased in volume. Due to that the impeller was not rotating freely. Red Sea sent me 3 pumps with the impelers cracked. Chiller pumps. Now I gave a pump collection but only 2 works :) (one from Red Sea and one I bought myself)

Adrienne

Hey,

So... where are you going to put your ATO sensors now? lol :)

I am looking to get one and wondering where I would put mine!

What model ATO did you get - and do you like it?

Let me know!

I have a different brand of ATO - Reef float. I put my sensor right against the right hand side of my C-250 and I have the water entering in my media rack compartment. This does mean I have to unhook it each time I change the media.