RSM 250 C Maintenance - how often do you clean pumps, etc.

CDMSeaLife

I thought I would start a thread on general tank maintenance (RSM 250 C) I just got finished cleaning most of my pumps: 2 main pumps, 2 MP10, and chiller pump. I only have the protein skimmer pump left. I'm kind of worried about the skimmer pump because of all the problems people have been having with it, including me as I have already replaced it once. If it's not broke don't fix it is what I'm thinking, but probably not smart. So, how often does everyone clean there pumps?
Also I'd be really interested in how often everyone does water changes and how much water they change. And how often do you clean substrate and how much at a time? (I don't have a deep sand bed.)image.jpg

Pat24601

I have a light sand bed. I clean pumps once a year so far, but I feel like I should do it once every six months. Just hard to make time for it. I feel like I really underdo my pump maintenace and I've accepted that may cost me some coin at some point.

I do 20% water change weekly. I probably siphon my sand bed once every 2 weeks, but really it's based more on if I have time in real life. I stir up my sand bed and turkey baster my live rock every water change.

I too would be highly interest in what more experienced folks do and if I'm doing it wrong.

CDMSeaLife

Thanks Glenn and Pat, I do about 10% every week as well. I think I might be over cleaning my gravel I clean most of it every week. I've read somewhere you should only do a section at a time. I cleaned the pumps at about 5 months and they really weren't that dirty. I think I'll go 6 months next time. I still haven't cleaned the protein skimmer pump, that one is such a pain! Although I have taken them all out twice looking for fish, lol.

Pat24601

Thanks Glenn and Pat, I do about 10% every week as well. I think I might be over cleaning my gravel I clean most of it every week. I've read somewhere you should only do a section at a time. I cleaned the pumps at about 5 months and they really weren't that dirty. I think I'll go 6 months next time. I still haven't cleaned the protein skimmer pump, that one is such a pain! Although I have taken them all out twice looking for fish, lol.

Your tank is looking great!!! I wouldn't worry too much about your maintenace schedule being off one way or the other. But, that's me. :)

Last edited:

CDMSeaLife

How about the sponges? I clean mine with every water change, it's kind of a pain. Has anyone removed them? Before this tank I had a 29 gal bio cube that was pretty much the same setup with no sponges and it worked fine.

Danreef

I was against removing them, but at the end I did it. They are off. I do not use any kind of mechanical filter now, like those sponges or the small filter between the media rack and pump #1 (in the RSM 250).

I have to clean my pumps now that they will be 1 year old. I had issues with the skimmer pump and Red Sea replaced it twice. Since that moment I also got a replacement skimmer pump and I just bought a # 1 pump. The number 2 I have it because I replaced it with the Eheim 3000 + compact when I added the chiller.

Bottom line, I have learned, that depending on what you have in the tank, having a replacement pump at hand is always a good investment. Also if it is like having $$$$ (money) in a drawer without using it.I also have my first smaller chiller (that I upgraded to a bigger one) as a back up.

Daniel

Pat24601

How about the sponges? I clean mine with every water change, it's kind of a pain. Has anyone removed them? Before this tank I had a 29 gal bio cube that was pretty much the same setup with no sponges and it worked fine.

Like you, I used to clean them every week for probably the first 6 months or so. However, when I started to have a small GHA algae problem I removed them and I really feel like it was the right thing to do.

According to my understanding from Red Sea they are there for largely for pump protection. I tried to keep them pretty clean, but they really aren't easy to be sure you get 100% clean and, as you say, it's a pain. I was concerned they may have been adding nitrates on me, but who knows if they actually were. I'm pretty OCD when I clean.

As I've said, I'm prepared to spend a little coin if my pumps break. So, I'm not that worried about pump protection.

I do use filter floss (the blue and white kind) in my media rack which I throw away and replace twice a week for a bit of mechanical filtration. It does get dirty, so it seems to do something useful. :)

Your tank is looking great. So, I think you could go either way and be OK.

Last edited:

CDMSeaLife

I'm with you; no matter how many times you rinse them you can't get them completely clean. I think I'll take them out just for the sake of less work. In the media rack I'm using Chemi Pure Blue, Purigen and Poly Filter on top. Poly Filter is kind of expensive but it works like a little miracle, it not only helps with removal of phosphates but also removes any unwanted metals. I replace it when it turns brown.

CDMSeaLife

I was against removing them, but at the end I did it. They are off. I do not use any kind of mechanical filter now, like those sponges or the small filter between the media rack and pump #1 (in the RSM 250).

I have to clean my pumps now that they will be 1 year old. I had issues with the skimmer pump and Red Sea replaced it twice. Since that moment I also got a replacement skimmer pump and I just bought a # 1 pump. The number 2 I have it because I replaced it with the Eheim 3000 + compact when I added the chiller.

Bottom line, I have learned, that depending on what you have in the tank, having a replacement pump at hand is always a good investment. Also if it is like having $$$$ (money) in a drawer without using it.I also have my first smaller chiller (that I upgraded to a bigger one) as a back up.

Daniel
Totally agree thanks Daniel

Adrienne

My tank has been running 8 months and the only pump I have cleaned so far as been the skimmer. My left hand pump is pigheaded (if I turn if off for any reason it only starts 1 out of 5 times) so I have to take it up to the top of the tank height to get it to start again therefore I know it is still in good condition. I removed my sponges and just have carbon, purigen and siliphos in the media rack. Chemi pure elite is not available here. My water changes are 20% weekly, I replace the carbon every month, siliphos ever 3 months and purigen when it gets dark. I syphon the sand each water change and often give it a stir around during the week int he areas I can easily get to.

+1 to the polyfilter link please :)

Pat24601

20% weekly?

Isn't that more normally a month %?

I was always told 10% weekly - or 25% monthly...?

It's definitely a much higher than typically recommended amount, but it seems to help (or at least may help) with algae, so I do it.

melvis

Weekly I do the following:
  • Major glass cleaning once a week (although could probably do with being more frequent)
  • 10% W/C (20% if I've got unusually high nitrates)
  • Blow the rocks with a turkey baster
  • Syphon the sand bed
  • Remove the sponge and rinse it to death (still debating with self over it's removal)
  • Replace the filter floss in the top of the media rack (twice a week)
  • Clean the wet side of my MP10 and the RSM C130 pump outlet nozzle
  • Remove the skimmer cup and give that a thorough clean (twice a week in fact)
I've just replaced my Purigen and CPE as they have been up and running for 6 months. Took the time to give the media rack and the ATO sensors a good clean too. Will probably clean the pump at this point too, although not going to bother with skimmer pump as that's getting replaced when the new one finally turns up. So all of this will now be my 6 monthly routine maintenance.

Getting a conch to deal with sand issues, and hoping that will mean I can stop syphoning so frequently, maybe moving this to monthly with gentle stirring on a weekly basis.

Salty150

OK, I guess I was always told that less gallons more often is much better for your system than large gallons less often.

I was told that large amounts shock the system and inhabitants more than smaller, more frequent amounts.

So, Ideally, on the Max C 250 - changing out 2 gallons a day would be the "best" solution - but not a very "practical" one...

Anyone else have this impression?