RSM 250 - And it starts!

dizzyg

My RSM 250 is on its way to my house! I'm so excited I could pee my pants!

the chiller is on back order to arrive end of Feb but by then the tank should have cycled and be ready to inmates!

Photos to follow!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:woohoo: congrats - looking forward to the pics !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums and the RSM Club, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
dizzyg - great to see you back again, and to hear that the tank is on its way! Don't pee in your pants! Save it for the tank - some people have actually used it as an ammonia source to help cycle the tank. :)

Arreola

dizzyg - Congratulations on the tank!!!
Post some pics, and if you have any question, please let us know.

Nice!!! I can't wait to finally do what you just did! I will be following along! I am hoping there will be a super sale or something!! lol!! One could only hope!

dizzyg

Hi Guys

sorry for the late reply! The tank arrived on friday and I filled it, i was so excited I did rush a little! took me on 3 days to figure the skimmer properly and what not, now im just trying to figure out the water levels and everything properly. I am getting there though! I ran the tank all weekend with just the salt in and substrate, The live rocks arrived today. Kenyan rock, 21.5kg's :) I dont want too much rock in but i think a little more will do but ill add it at a later stage.

here's some pics, sorry they suck! after the holidays i seem to have misplaced my camera charger cable! (i blame the GF though! haha) Ill take my work cam home tonight to get some better pics.

02022010208_G.sized.jpg

02022010209_G.sized.jpg

02022010210_G.sized.jpg

02022010211_G.sized.jpg

Another error iv made is to place the tank too close to the wall, i took out the
adaptor kit for the chiller and realised i need to be a good 2cm more away from the wall! lucky the LFS left the 25l drums at my house for the time being so ill ask my bro to help me empty the tank as much as possible and move the tank away from the wall a little more!

Let me know what you guys think!

dizzyg

I know I'm jumping the gun but I'm trying to plan what I want in the tank when I start to stock it. I have a list of fish that I definitely want, but the balance im just looking at for the moment. I'll definitely add the fish slowly as I said, just planning!

here is the list of definite fish.

2 Common Clown - male / female pair - (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Blue Surgeon (regal ) (paracanthurus hepatus)
1 Cleaner wrasse (labroides dimidiatus)
1 Six bar wrasse (Pseudocheilinus Hexataenia)
2 Pajama Cardinal (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
1 Manderin (synchiropus Splendidus) - Yes I know he can only be added at +- 6 months, but I'm keeping a space for him!

here is my list of maybe's (yes I know I cant have them all, i think 10 - 15 fish in total in the tank should be fine.)

1 Banana wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1 Twin spot wrasse (angulartor)
1 Sailfin Tang (zebrasoma veliferum)
1 Fang Blenny (Meiacanthus Mossambicus)
1 Fire goby (Nemateleotris Magnifica)
1 Midas Goby (Ecsenius midas)
2 Blue Velvet /Monarck - male female pair (Neoglyphidodon oxyodon)

Please let me know what you think! I'm always looking for advice!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing & starting a tank thread so we can follow along !
1218.gif

You are off to a good start - do think you might need some more LR or Dry Rock (which would become alive in a few months) tell us where you are from (if you can add Location: to your User CP that would be great), if in the US, Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock has some great dry rock - if you want to add more LR, best to add now, if you can, while cycling the tank, if you add it latter, could kick off another cycle.

RSM 250's are gorgeous tanks - enjoy !!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Off to a great start dizzyg. I'll agree with Glen that a bit more rock (live or dry) would be a good idea for increased bacterial filtration as the bio-load (fish) increases.

This new thread might be helpful with the fish choices:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/55112-red-sea-max-fish-decisions.html

The Labroides Cleaner wrasses might be one to avoid, for ethical reasons, although they seem to be fairly easy to obtain at low prices. I'm not sure if any are being tank bred or not :

Reef Protection International - Reef Fish Guide

Good luck & enjoy the experience! Time to do a lot of rock watching to see what shows up! :)

dizzyg

Hi Guys, I am going to put more rock in as i go along, the rocks in there now are to get the tank cycled then I plan to get some dry rock and do some cave scaping and what not. For the time being im trying to get used to how noisy the skimmer is, i read that it should quieten down when it settles in, I hope so or I might have to look at a different, less noisy brand that fits in the RSM!

dizzyg

Sorry nanoreefing4fun, just read the last bit of your post now. If i add more rock I think it will just be more live rock, the stuff we get in S.A from Kenya is pretty awesome, after just one night there's already life on my rocks! ill take some pics tonight. there's 21.5KG in there now, the book says 24KG's but I see most people put more. What im trying to avoid is when we buy corals in S.A it generally comes with a generous chunk of rock so I dont want to add too much now and then when it comes to adding my corals there's no more space!

What do you guys think about removing the ceramic rings and the sponges and replacing with live rock in the back part of the tank? I know the charcoal is good to keep there but I hear nothing but bad things about the ceramic rings!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - I think you may be our first owner in here from South Africa! Your plan sounds like a good one. Don't wait too long on getting the dry rock in - the sooner the better to get the bacteria established on it.

Edit - I see you posted live, not dead, rock. You may have a second cycle to go through if the future rock has any die-off. But, if the future corals come on large pieces of LR then no worries. Looking forward to more pictures!

I'd say most of us pulled out, or never put in, the ceramic media as the LR should be able to handle the cycle, and some tank manufacturers even recommend not using it in reef tanks (can be nitrate generators). Personally I'm not in favor of any rock in the back of these tanks as all it does is catch a lot of debris and generate nitrates. I once ran rubble in a bag in the back of my 130, to make it easy to pull out for rinsing, but that bag sure did catch a lot junk on it. Loose rock in back could be difficult to pull out. Just my opinion. I'm not sure about pulling the sponges out of the 250 - also can be nitrate generators if not rinsed often, but I think one of them is to trap bubbles?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 on be careful if you add LR latter, could kick off a cycle. One more tip, adding some height, will allow you to get some corals like SPS, up closer to the lights.

Looking forward to more pics !