RSM 250 (65 Gal) New Set Up

Clutch

Hello all,

I first posted these up on the Red Sea Max area and I've had quite a few requests to post the details of my tank, so here it goes.

The Red Sea Max was selected from my LFS as I did not want to build the filtration system from scratch, or have them do it. The "plug and play" while quite concerning anytime I hear this notation, proved to be TRUE! I DID have initial pump issues with the skimmer and the RSM CS (Pinky) proved to be a great person to deal with. Many MOD's and other extensive topics of these systems can be seen on this thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/ that is dedicated forum for these tanks.

Tank setup was a snap and in a few hours I was ready for my 80lbs of Live Kupang Island Rock and sand. The water used for this system is Catalina Bio Ocean Water that my local LFS supplies (1000 gallons on hand at a time) along with a hefty supply of RO water for top offs. The Catalina water salinity comes in at 1.023 - 1.024 with a PH of 8.2. A 1/4hp Oceanic Chiller was also installed where I keep the temp at a constant 77-78deg F. My office is located in an upstairs loft so I knew ahead of time keeping temp in the hot southern California area could be a challenge without the chiller.

Here is the first pic I took of the rock a little over 5 months ago.
PICT3542.jpg

PICT3544.jpg

The water was not changed for the 1st month and the skimmer was left off. 2 green Chromis (that are still in the tank) was part of the initial break-in. It should be noted here that the ONLY algae ever seen during the break in was after the 1st month, when I had some brown algae that the two Mexican snails chowed down immediately. After almost 6 months, I only get the occasional green film algae on my glass that either the snails get or I remove with a magnetic scraper. More on this topic of why I have not seen much algae at all in this tank is a combination of several key items. I put a LOT of faith into my LFS who is owned by 3 brothers. These guys know their stuff I feel as they have put up some pretty impressive (and quite large) reef tanks to many corporations and other businesses in my local area and the water qaulity and live stock maintainability has been superb to say the least. Whatever it's worth, they gave me their formula that is used for all their tanks parameters in regards to water qaulity and maintainability. I apologize if some folks may not agree with their practices, but thus far my tank is succeeding incredibly well as with all my LFS's other tanks.

The first thing those boys told me (as most know) was the addition of large amounts of cured live rock that acts as a wonderful bio-filter. Their Live Kupang Rock was all FULLY cured with no smell whatsoever and was ready to go into my tank.

The 2nd item they were very adamant about was the addition of a product called ALGONE that is replaced EVERY week along with WEEKLY 10-15% water changes. In their eyes, this was single most important thing that had to happen every week!

At 4 months with everything stable for the previous 2 months, (I know I broke few "add slow" rules), I started added show pieces of coral. I did not go for the frags as this tank was set up in an area where many of my clients would be in close proximity so I wanted a show tank that wold really stand out. I did not take many pictures during the 6-7 stocking sessions but here is the final product.

August302009.jpg

PICT3738.jpg

I went for a lot of LPS and some SPS but wanted the "tentacles" of many corals to stand out. I was lucky on a few and 4 of the most impressive pieces I found were a 53 head Hammer Coral, a 10" dia Devils Finger Leather, 8" Aussie Elegance, along with my latest as of 8 days ago, an amazing (perfect specimen as my LFS stated), 5" Rose BTA I am still afraid of! :white:

Here are a couple of blown up pics of some of the assorted corals. Sorry about the pics, as my camera skills are NOT that good compared to some of the AMAZING tank shots I have seen on this board.

This 53 Head Hammer Coral was also obtained from the same LFS and one of the brothers was "over ruled" by the two others as he did not want to sell the whole enchilada! :eek:lsmile: I paid $250.00 for this one.

Hammer1.jpg

Hammer2.jpg

The 2nd prize is a 10" Devils Finger Leather. This specimen is downright spooky with it very human looking fingers pointed up in the air. One actually looks like ones middle finger flipping you off as my wife stated! :LOL:

DF1.jpg

DF2.jpg

DF3.jpg

I have always been VERY fond of the Elegance Corals species. I read the heck out of so many text stating the Australian Elegance is the hardiest out of the bunch so I found a 7" fully opened one that is really beautiful.

PICT3752.jpg

PICT3748.jpg

The next prize I thought long and hard over was a Rose BTA. My LFS once again was very instrumental on this along with my research on keep an anemones that is the most hardy and with the right water and light conditions, does not move much. He called this Rose BTA a "perfect specimen" with a perfect foot an mouth with an extreme rose color to it. I watched my tank very closely for several weeks for a space that consisted of good light, flow and a rock formation I HOPED he would stay put at. I was willing and able to move any corals around so this critter would flourish. I watch him CLOSE EVERY DAY to insure he stays put. I THINK I guessed right on a good spot, because once I place to in the lower middle spot, he immediately squeezed into a crevasse behind him and seems to be happy ever since 8 days ago. I've watched for sign of the other torch corals nearby with any feeder tentacles at night that may come in contact with him, but so far everyone seems to be happy including the clowns! It took approx. 3 days of them investigating him before the dove in. I can watch them for days interacting with the BTA! the largest of the clowns sometimes lays there motionless in a vertical position like he's laying down going to sleep. When I first saw this, I thought he was dead!

PICT3733.jpg

PICT3748.jpg

PICT3776.jpg

PICT3775.jpg

PICT3764.jpg

Sorry for the long initial post. The next installment, I will show more of the other corals along with my dosing and other detailed water parameters I routinely check every week. Thank you and hope you enjoy the pics as much as I like staring into the tank every minute of my day. The tank sits less than 3 feet from my desk! :eek:lsmile:

oc reefer

Wow what a beautiful tank, i hope my tank will look like that someday. Im thinking of getting a 250 RSM soon.

Very nice job!

torero500

Those clowns laying in the red anenome, that's just too funny. It's like they're attracted to it like a magnet. Awesome!