RSM 130D and a sohal tang

Wondering if a sohal tang can exist and be cared for in a relatively spacious and understocked RSM 130D.....my favorite fish by far....would love one!

Any experience or recommendations?

I have a stock 130D skimmer and also a Tunze 9002 nano skimmer to handle the load

Sapphire

Hi and welcome!

I don't have any tangs so can't comment from experience but it was my understanding that all tangs need bigger tanks and the Sohal in particular becomes quite aggressive and large quickly and the minimum tank size would be 100g+ (and some people would say much larger)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums & the rsm owners forum, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Would love to see some pics :)

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
The only thing I will say is to please do some research on the fish before buying anything.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

On the tangs in the 130, the normal recommendation is no, but it's not unusual to see juveniles doing well in 130 tanks, later to be moved to bigger tanks, or "traded in" at an LFS. The tang issue typically gets a lot of heated comments from both sides - pro & con.

proenca

Hi there,

I've kept a Sohal tang before ( actually 3 - one my favorite fish, period :) ) and the answer is a NO.

But big big big NO.

Dont even think about it.

Sorry.

With Sohal / Lineatus they are bit different from other tangs : while the minimum gallon rule persists, they need more than water volume, they need SPACE.

They need to swim freely - a cluttered tank aint good as well.

Usually people say 180g minimum because that usually means 6ft long tang as a rule of thumb.. or more.

130 is hardly capable of keeping a tang.

A Sohal tang is a big big nono.

Apart from the size required, which you wont have, you dont have a system capable of supporting decent water quality for them - they are pig eaters, meaning pig poo... meaning your water parameters will slide quickly.

If a tang is a must on a 130, perhaps a Flavecens or a Desjardin while bought the smallest size possible..

But never a Sohal / Lineatus / Achilles / Japonicus / Naso's.

Ever :)

Ok, so no sohal tang!

Do people keep any tangs in their tanks? Even yellows or sailfins? What would suit a 130D?

I would love a regal tang at least!

No pics yet but I will put them up, getting an established 130D this evening!! So i will probably leave it a few more months eventhough its already established i think ill leave it a few months before adding any livestock to it as already there is a pair of clowns!

J

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds good on the established tank, as well as waiting a while before adding any more livestock. Moving the tank may upset the nitrogen cycle, so be prepared to measure ammonia, nitrites & nitrates for a while.

pocketreef

I have a dream:

micro fish were cool, less too;
buying infra after deciding on the desired livestock a common practice;
aquascape more important than number of fish;
preference given to farm-bred corals, fish, invert and rock;
fragging corals a moral obligation;
compatibility the only way;
higher investiment on resilient components and availability;
more time granted on testing possible failures.

mbdave

Hi there, I have a purple tang in my 130, now I have a plan to move her soon due to size, "I have no problem with tang in small tanks as long as they are small and you have a plan to move it to a larger tank in time" but Sohal are satans spawn. They are probably the meanest SOB's in the tang family. They are even mean in 180's. Beautiful fish but I don't want one.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
That is nice pocketreef. Although I've occasionally strayed from those 'rules':lookaroun I wouldn't dream of keeping any kind of bigger fish in a 130 or a 250. The smallest fish are so much better all round.

nashdk

Hi Irishmarine

I have no experience with the sohal tang so won't comment on that.

Many RSM owners keep small blue or yellow tangs with great succes though. Eventually they will outgrow the tank but if the tank is not heavy stocked with other fish you should be able to keep them for at least 2-3 years if you introduce them from a very small size like 1-1½" or so.
Good luck and happy reefkeeping!

Best regards
Nash