RSM 130 My little drop of the ocean

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry to hear about your algae problem Sharon. I wish I could offer some words of advice but I have no idea either. You will beat it though, and as for flower arranging, where's the challenge? :)

Shazbah

Thanks Leigh i could never be without my tank even with the algae problem. I have just been doing alot of reading into red sea's new reef care programme. The Red Sea N03:p04-X Algae Reducer seems to be having some very good reviews here in the uk. People who have used it have said that they have all had there phosphates and N03 reduced with this product. The test kits are also very sensitive (low scale). People who thought they didn't have a phos/N03 problem are now finding out they have. There are alot of people who like me have algae problems and have used this product with great success. Basically what i'm trying to say is i have just placed an order so fingers crossed:fingerx:
Anyway Leigh how's the bryopsis doing? Have you managed to get rid of it all yet??? I hope so.

lethal

Hey Sharon, using the new Red Sea products sounds like a great idea. I'm just waiting for them to hit our shores in Dec. As for the bryopsis, I thought I had it beat and even kept the Mg levels high but the rotten stuff is starting to grow back. Even in spots that I never had it before. I think i'll raise it to 1700 and see what happens. At least i'm keeping Kent in business :).

Shazbah

Leigh. You need to keep the mag levels hight for several weeks even after all bryopsis has died off. When i first tried the kent mag, i started reducing the levels with water changes about a week after all the bryopsis had dies and just like you it all grew back. Last time i used it i let the mag levels stay high for a bout 3 weeks before ruducing levels and fingers crossed it hasn't come back. I wish i could say the same for the bloody hair algae. I look forward to receiving the N03:N04-x.

lethal

Yeah, I have been keeping the levels at around 1650 since I started and big clumps of it have died off but there are more patches starting up elsewhere. I'll aim for 1700 and see if that knocks it on the head. I have already used over 2 litres of the Kent. Good luck with the new red sea products, i'll be interested to hear your feedback.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sharon - What type of carbon do you use? Many of them can release phosphates. I try to get one that specifies low or no phosphates. Just an idea of something else that may be causing your algae.

Shazbah

Hi Terry i use the seachem matrix carbon along with seachem phosguard as i believe this is the equivalent of chemi pure. I change it every 6 weeks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's a very good, low/no phosphate carbon. Oh well, it was a thought. Back to the drawing board on the algae causes.

Shazbah

Hi Tammy thanks for your concern
I have been using a product called algaefix which seems to have worked but at the cost of all my zoas melting and dying. I also have a very bad case of brown slime but this seems to have started from changing the sand bed. I am now in the early days of using the red sea reef care programe. My nitrates are 0 but my phosphates are 0.08 (with the new red sea test kits) I am hoping that the red sea products i am using will help sort out the cyno or what ever it is. Its all a very slow process. The only algea problem i have now seems to be grape caulerpa. Hopefully in a couple of weeks i should have a better idea of how the reef programe is working

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Sharon. Thank for the update. Good to hear the algae has receded, but not that the Algaefix killed the zoas. I've heard good and bad things about the Algaefix. Hopefully the new Reef Care products will finally allow you to get the problems over with, and the tank the way you want it.

lethal

Good to hear from you again Sharon. I really hope that the reef care program will solve all of your algae problems and you can start to enjoy your tank again, it's certainly no fun. I'd be interested to know which of the products you are using.

Shazbah

Hi all and thanks for the interest
I am using NO3:pO4-X which i believe is something like vinegar and sugar dosing but better and is the algae programe.I am also using the nutrition programe which is the same as David Shaw is using. So far here in the UK people seem to be impressed with the results. If you would like to know about the red sea reef programe pm me your e-mail addy and i will send you the full info that was sent to me from red sea. It is a slow progress but so far i am pleased with the results. My phosphates have dropped and YES without any phosphate removers as you have to remove all media except for carbon. I am only cleaning the glass on the tank now every couple of days instead of every day. The only moan i have is that i have to remember to add 2ml to the tank every single day.

lethal

Thanks for the heads up Sharon. I will probably give it a try if the stuff ever reaches our shores.

Dweezil

Sharon ~ That sounds very promising. So far I have heard all good stories about the new Red Sea Reef Care programs. Hopefully this will fix your problems for good! :)

Shazbah

Hi Leigh
Things are going slow so not much to report really. My nitrates were 0 when i started dosing and my phos was 0.08 but i presumed that these figures were wrong as i had algae growing. I have been dosing since 18th of December and my figures have not changed at all. I have now cut down from 2ml a day to half a ml sa i can only wait and see what happens next. The good news is that o have no algae growing but the bad news is i do have a lot of macro algaes growning (Caulerpa peltata is getting out of control) and i have a outbreak of cyno.
The joys of reefing. If it aint one thing its another