RS Reef Care package

Shazbah

I have even tested the water i have made up ready to change and i have also tested plain ro water and every test comes out the same.

David Shaw

Just thought i would post a report on the use of NO3:pO4-X Algae Reducer.

I have been dosing 1ml daily for the last several months with great success, and all test readings showing up fine. The only media i have been using is carbon.

However in the last week, for some strange reason, i had a huge huge huge build up of algae on the glass that i have never had before whilst running CPE and SeaGel. I was starting to have to clean the algae off glass three or more times a day day.

So with that in mind, i reverted back to CPE and SeaGel this week to see if it made any difference and everything is now back to normal. Not sure what happened with the NO3:pO4-X Algae Reducer, but i am now back to the media i always previously used. All tests today fine.

fruit bat

I have been dosing No3 - Po4X for three months now adding 2ml per day. Our Nitrates are dropping nicely, (they were 32ppm now down to 12ppm). Phosphates have always been low / undetectable so no issue there. Nice clean tank with no algae and a great presence of Coraline.
Looking forward to really low nitrates so I don't have to dilute the test solution.

All in all I am very happy with the product and will continue to use it

JimmyJ

Decided to go back to running SeaGel and Purigen vs dosing NOPOX. It's been 7 weeks since I started using NOPOX and never seen a drop in po4. When I first started and had to remove the SeaGel, the po4 jumped to 0.36 and has been there ever since. Todays test shows closer to 0.64 so it's getting way to high for me, back to what was working before. I really wanted this to work for me although my tank didn't allow it.

Kev, any ideas? Thanks

Gav

Like a few others here Im having trouble with the Red Sea PO4 test. My NO3 has dropped from 0.25 to 0.15 after using NOPOx. Ive been testing regularly for weeks initially with the cap on the test vials but more recently with them off as per Kev's advice. The result is always the same. The closest match would probably 0.08 but there really isnt any exact match. If the algae control test kit is accurate then my PO4 hasnt dropped at all since using the NO3PO4-X for weeks.

The following are the pics.

As you can see the sample is almost clear as water but if I take the vial out of the housing there is a slight yellow/green tinge.
000PO4.jpg

004PO4.jpg

008PO4.jpg

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Decided to go back to running SeaGel and Purigen vs dosing NOPOX. It's been 7 weeks since I started using NOPOX and never seen a drop in po4. When I first started and had to remove the SeaGel, the po4 jumped to 0.36 and has been there ever since. Todays test shows closer to 0.64 so it's getting way to high for me, back to what was working before. I really wanted this to work for me although my tank didn't allow it.

Kev, any ideas? Thanks

Jimmey, The likes of SeaGel & Purigen are adsorbing type materials and in fairness do this quite quickly, No3Po4-X is a food source for denitrifying and PHB type bacterial cultures, the PHB being the Po4 utilising species.

Denitrifying bacteria colonise quite quickly when using No3Po4-X but the PHB take a lot longer, I can't give you this in days or hours because there are too many different factors which can effect this.

Given time the No3Po4-X will work, check out the website Red Sea Reef Care Program under the support tab you can download the pdf file converting to No3Po4-X and many other files for the Reef Care Program.

Red Sea Kev

JimmyJ

Thanks Kev. I had downloaded that PDF when I first started using NOPOX and followed the directions. I realized that I wouldn't of seen results in hours or days but after close to 2 months and only seeing a rise in po4 (from 0.36 to 0.64) is what was concerning to me. I have heard others having great results with this product which I why I gave it a shot although I felt I had to make a change due to the high levels I was seeing with the po4. It's been 2 months since I stopped using the NOPOX and the levels are down to 0.16. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, I don't know?

oakleyx

I have a quick question about No3Po4-X.

I started using it last night in my RSM 250. My nitrates are at 20ppm so I followed the directions and added 7ml. I took out my CPE and Purigen and I am only use ROX 0.8 carbon.

Is it ok that I started at 7ml (3ml per 25 gallon) or should I be gradually working my way up to 7 ml.

My first dose was at 3am last night and when i turned on the lights the tank looked a little cloudy.

Thanks
-Dan

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
I have a quick question about No3Po4-X.

I started using it last night in my RSM 250. My nitrates are at 20ppm so I followed the directions and added 7ml. I took out my CPE and Purigen and I am only use ROX 0.8 carbon.

Is it ok that I started at 7ml (3ml per 25 gallon) or should I be gradually working my way up to 7 ml.

My first dose was at 3am last night and when i turned on the lights the tank looked a little cloudy.

Thanks
-Dan

Hi Dan, Any cloudiness whilst dosing No3Po4-X is caused by a bacterial bloom so I suggest the following:

1) 30% water change per day until cloudiness clears
2) Check pH and add buffer to raise if necessary
3) Add extra aeration or skimmer
4) Set skimmer for wetter operation
5) Increase water circulation
6) Stop dosing No3Po4-X until cloudiness disappears

Before restarting dosing of No3Po4-X please recalculate the aquarium volume, it is very important to allow for the displacement of live rock and sand etc

Recheck the Nitrate content with an accurate test kit like the Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit this is very important false high nitrate test can lead to an over dose of No3Po4-X

If I can be of further help with this drop me an email via the website

Red Sea Kev

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Thanks Kev

I'm using a API Nitrate Test Kit. Are those know for false high readings?

Thanks
-Dan

Hi Dan, I really can't comment on the accuracy on other makes of test kit, you also need to look at the low range of the No3 test as well, depending on which of the control levels your using 0.25pp for high color or 1 to 2 ppm for rapid growth if the test kit can't measure at these low levels your in trouble, our No3 test does it was designed for use with the No3Po4-X, you need to reduce your No3Po4-X in relation to your No3 content, in time you could be dosing as little as .5 of a ml to your Max, the algae control program is about control and not elimination of your No3 and Po4

Red Sea Kev

alfaman

Hi all,

I have been using this since November 10 there or thereabouts and I cannot also get past 0.08ppm, not sure to carry on or try something else, I always have green on my glass that needs to be cleaned off daily?

Gav

Hi Kev,

Just wondering if there is any update on the problems people are having with the PO4 tests results as per posts on page 15 of this thread (e.g. Sharons and mine)? It looks like quite a few people are having the same problem and always getting a reading of 0.08. As per your advice I have been doing the tests without the lids on the vials. It just seems that I always get a result of 0.08. Sharon mentions that she even gets the same results in plain RO or new salt water.

ausreef

just some feedback,ive been using No3Po4-X for 2 months and while the nitrate dropped from 10ppm to zero after a week the phosphate has been steadily rising with associated nuisance algae,have now abandoned the product and reverted to seachem phosguard

Shazbah

I to am also back to purigen and phosguard. I recon if i tested my bear for phosphates it would also come out at 0.08:eek:lsmile: It's bad enough that things are so expensive in this hobby and even worse when you pay good money for things that don't work.

oakleyx

Hi everyone,

Just got the hanna phosphate and alkalinity checkers and compared whe results with the rs phosphate and alkalinity test kits. The results were really close.

I guess if i had to do it again i would stick with the rs kits. Better bang for your buck.

Dan

Seagars

i just started testing with Red sea reef foundation kits. love them so far as they are very accurate and better for me easy to use!!!