RS Reef Care package

tnwillia

Thanks for checking Kev. I understand they will not change it now but maybe fior future upgrades if possible. Thanks again!

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Just an update on the Alk test kit guys, I spoke to Kev last week at the open evening at my lfs (I forgot to post here sooner) and he cleared up my questions regarding the Alk test kit end result colour. He advised that the thing to look for is the colour change from shades of blue to orange/pink/tan/grape colour. From what I ubderstood the end colour isn't a set colour and varies at different levels as the reagent mixes with your water sample. So having followed his instructions when the colour starts to turn dark blue I go drop by drop until it makes a distinctive jump from dark shades of blue to orange/pink/tan/grape colour and I've found it to be consistent after testing every few days. Just thought I'd put that out there, hope it helps. :)

Hi Kay, great to see so many Reef Keepers turning up, some more information that folks might find useful whilst using the new Alkalinity test kit.

The true end point of the KH test is a grayish/purple color that is one drop before the (what we call) pink that has been printed on the instruction card. Since it is sometimes difficult to detect the grayish/purple endpoint and since one drop of KH titrant is equivalent to 0.15 dKH, (which is insignificant for aquariums) we decided to set the end point at the one drop passed the true end point as it is much easier to see. Stop the titration at the first sign of pinkness in the vial.

It will take a few tries to get used to the colour change but it is a very easy test kit to use.

Red Sea kEV

JimmyJ

So can i use the algae control in conjunction with running Seagel and Purigen?

According to the directions they recommend that you remove any PO4 removing media. SeaGel has Phosguard which is a PO4 absorbing media and Purigen is also for PO4 removal. I just started using the NO3:pO4-X and swapped out my SeaGel and Purigen for Chemi-Pure since they also recommend running a good carbon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't think Purigen removes phosphates - organics only that I'm aware of (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates ):

Seachem. Purigen

I think regular Chemipure (not the Elite) contains carbon and a resin similar to Purigen.

David Shaw

So what is best to run in our tanks if we use the Reef Care Algae Programme - 1) Carbon and nothing else 2) CPE and nothing else or 3) Is it ok to run SeaGel and nothing else?

How many ml's per day are people dosing in their 130D's with an averagely stocked tank ?

I am guessing a lot of people have stockpiled their media so would be nice to know what combo can / cannot be used.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good question David. Based on the info., any phosphate removers should be removed - that would include Chemi-Pure Elite and SeaGel (both contain phos removers). I'm just running carbon only now. I'm not sure about nitrate removing media like Purigen.

David Shaw

Thanks Terry

I will remove all media with the exception of Carbon and see how we go.

What ml per day are you dosing Terry?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome David. This was included in some additional information that Kev emailed to me. I don't think he'll mind me posting it, and it may already be on the new website. Media removal really depends on where you start at on phosphate and nitrate. It may help, or it may confuse LOL! I'm dosing at the 2 ml/25 gallon level, adjusted for my additional sump volume of 10 gallons, I've been adding 2.8-3 ml daily.

MediaRemoval.jpg

My phosphate was at 0.36, and nitrates at 2 when I started. Phosphates at 0 now, & nitrates still at 2

I had some SeaGel in till yesteday's test showed 0 phosphate, so I removed it yesterday, and just have carbon in now.

JimmyJ

Thanks Terry for the info on the Purigen, this whole time I thought it was for PO4. Glad to have knowledgeable reefers out there like yourself to help. :)

David Shaw

Thanks Terry for the info on the Purigen, this whole time I thought it was for PO4. Glad to have knowledgeable reefers out there like yourself to help. :)

Me too Jimmy ! You learn something new every day.

I have now ditched all media apart from carbon and am dosing 2ml per day of N03:p04-X Algae Reducer. If this all works out it will save us money on media purchases and also help those who have issues with water levels in the tank due to their media lowering the flow levels.