Roy's Red Sea Max C-250

Pat24601

Video update :woohoo: .

Yes those leathers grow like crazy, here's a pic of mine before I got rid of it:

The clowns used to love it so I was worried about getting rid but they soon went for the anemone (well the female did, she doesn't let the male anywhere near)

What kind of leather is this? It looks way more flowy than I think of in a toadstool leather, but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Video Update
Red Sea Max C-250 Reef Aquarium - Part 11 - Update At 20 Months.
The aquarium has now been in operation for about 20 months.

We have an outbreak of Aiptasia and show in this update the adding of some Berghia Nudibranchs hoping they will eat the Aiptasia.

Hi Roy! How's the tank doing? Hope all is well.

Petr

Hi,

one month ago I started my tank. I still have problems with nitrates and brown/green algae covers some pats of LRs and sand. I think I have to be more patient, right? ;)
Anyway, RSM C250 seems to be very nice, I had to buy a chiller and now thinking of buying Steve's LED retrofit (when T5s become older).
Only one problem I see with this aquarium is that there is not much space for biological filtration materials. :( Do you have any idea, how to add e.g. Siporax to the system?

Roy Page

Hi Petr,

Greetings to you in the Czech Republic.

Yes, I think you just need to be patient and suggest you also scrub off some of the rocks when you do your weekly water change to help get rid of the algae.

The C250 works very well and I have never found a need to add anymore media than could be loacted into the media shelf unit.

Be patient and help the system by keeping the weekly water changes going.

Good luck and did I say keep the water changes going :)

Petr

Thanks Roy! :)
Anyway, how long do you have lights on per day? Mine are 12 hours and I think I probably need to short the period by 1 hour.

And just in case, what filtration media do you use?

+1 for your youtube videos! ;)

Roy Page

Thanks for the comment about my videos!

At your stage I only had lights on for 8 hours per day, later 10 to 12 is normally ok.
However, with the light in our home, the C250 has all the light it needs and that has been one of my own location problems.
I would say 9 hours a day at your stage will work fine, you could also try a couple of days leaving the lights off to hit that algae hard!

These days just use 2 bags of activated carbon and 2 bags and Boyd Chemi-Pure Elite.
That was how I started and I played with us stuff but went back to my K.I.S.S. formula.
[Keep It Simple Sir]

I change 1 bag of each every 2 months, new bags go in the bottom 2 shelves the other 2 bags moving up to the top 2 shelves. It works for me and I fill my own bags of activated carbon.

Now let us talk about water changes, 10% a week is the minimum, but often I do a 20% water change.
Water change is every Saturday morning.
Water get changed once a week when I change some of my water doing the water change every Saturday morning.
Did I remember to mention water change? :yup:

Petr

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll give a try. Regarding water change, for now I'll keep it (~15L/week). Let's see what happens.

Oxylebius

Algae can be an issue in new tanks that last from anywhere from several months to a year, so stay patient, you will eventually get a handle on it.

I still run my day lights 9 hours a day. I started off running them 8 hours a day. Corals (including sps) can grow easily with 8 hours a day.