Roo's Rad Reef - RSM C-130 Build

Rooprect

Greetings - I'm planting the seed on my build thread. Here it is with "Post 1"!! Here's to the hope of pages and pages of updates, pictures, great advice, and guidance. I'm very excited, and hope to provide fun and interesting posts like I find in the many build threads I follow here on RS.

I am yet ANOTHER newb jumping on the RSM C-130 band-wagon. (Even after my decision I've seen tons of C-130 purchases) A year of intense research pointed me in that direction and considering the size of my home it just made sense.

I picked up the tank and stand on Tuesday and here are some of my first thoughts for those interested in the RSM:
1. Don't go pick it up with a Mini Cooper. It's too tall to fit in the back standing up. We had to lay it on its side (which is NOT recommended) for my short trip back to downtown DC.
2. The box has VERY convenient carry holes that make it relatively easy to handle with two people despite the fact that the box weighs like 80+ pounds.
3. Stand: It's not IKEA: I can build Ikea anything with my eyes closed. The build on this cabinet is similar in design but the quality isn’t even close. Some of the twist locks had to be hammered into the holes (because the holes were too small). Some of the fasteners were formed without HEADS...etc. Regardless, once you get the build complete the cabinet is plenty sturdy for its purpose.
4. Tank: This is my first Red Sea product and holy moly the build quality is amazing. When all set up with the trim on it's like a work of art.
5. The hood fans aren't the quietest...however, once the pumps are running and water is moving I'll have to re-assess. (im sure there are threads for lower dB fans)
6. Before choosing this unit we mapped out its footprint with tape on the floor and were like, "aww that's going to be small and cute". But once its assembled its total presence in the room is quite shocking. (it's BIG)

So that's that. I currently have a beautiful display of gorgeous AIR. Early next week I plan to do LCOT (leak and component operational testing).

Sincerely,
Rooprect

Joeys Tank

Definitely looking forward to following along on your journey.

My wife was a little taken back as well with the size of the RSMs. I mapped out the location with tape like you did. The footprint alone doesn't tell the complete story. I even taped paper on the wall to show her the height of the tank (tank and stand take up a fair amount of height) and I still got comments from her once I put it all together :)

Danreef

Nice !!!

Think in the space behind the tank. I do not have a RSM C 130, I have the RSM 250. But could be that you want to hook a chiller or....whatever. Ask other RSM 130 owners how much space they left behind the tank. It is important to address that now that the tank is empty.

Enjoy it !!!!
Daniel

Rooprect

Nice !!!

Think in the space behind the tank. I do not have a RSM C 130, I have the RSM 250. But could be that you want to hook a chiller or....whatever. Ask other RSM 130 owners how much space they left behind the tank. It is important to address that now that the tank is empty.

Enjoy it !!!!
Daniel

Dan:
That's great advice. Many thanks. RS recommends FOUR inches. This seemed a bit conservative so I was going to go with just over three.
Maybe some folks could chime in on this.
Many thanks!
Roop

melvis

Hi Roop

Mine's sitting at about 3 inches from the wall and tbh, I think that's probably about right. There's enough room to open the hood and get to all the sump parts and it also doesn't look stupid a million miles away from the wall.

Just my two-pence worth.

Cheers

Rooprect

Thanks Melvis. And everyone for their words of encouragement.

Here's another question for you folks before my final fill:

Floor Protection:
I have a BRAND NEW hardwood floor. I plan to be pretty tidy around the tank....lay down a towel during maintenance, wipe up any spills/drips etc.
However this morning I was greatly surprised by a potential Red Sea design flaw.....
When the access cover in the back is open the condensations drips down and collects on the lip on the bottom. I was thinking oh, this makes sense, now when I close it it will drip back into the sump. WRONG!!!!
All this water dripped straight down the back of the tank and onto the floor! What the HECK!?
Does anyone else have this issue? Any solutions? Does anyone use any type of floor protection for this type of thing?
THANKS!
Roop

97C37517-5B60-4513-9244-820E1CC20CBB_zps61i4nzzt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oxylebius

In the rsm250 there is a back panel there, does the 130 not have a back panel???? There is also a fan in the 250 that keeps the tank hood dry. I've never had water condensation in my hood area. I love the fans, helps to keep salt creep away! Does the 130 not have a fan?

Rooprect

Thanks for the feedback Oxy.
No, the back is open as shown. In the picture you will notice the open space through the back to the right of the skimmer.....this is where the surface cooling fans are installed. I was hoping I would not have to use them to keep temperature in check. But you are right: this added air movement would keep this area more dry.
Thanks again.
Roop

Rooprect

Update:
If it wasn't obvious from my post earlier about condensate drip.....I filled up my tank for the leak test. All is well in the Rad RSM.
Pump is circ-ing, skimmer skimming, and there are no leaks....thank goodness.
As expected from MANY other RSM owner's comments: I can pretty much devote my heater to warming my coffee. Despite Red Sea's literature, my relatively cool condo (usually around 65-67 degrees) is still producing temps in the tank of over 82 degrees without the water surface fans on. This was expected and I've installed and turned on the water surface fans to see what difference that makes.
NO worries...this was expected.
I have some super quiet fans on order for both the lighting fans, and the water surface cooler fans. I'll install these later this week.
My goal is as quiet a display as possible.

My tank of air has evolved into a tank of fish toxic tap water. Will drain and add "real water" later this week when the rest of my supplies show up.

Sincerely,
Roop

5DCF9E1B-3F32-422B-AE2B-C358D2E5A076_zpshsymtpml.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rooprect

Big day today. Got a bunch of packages with salt, substrate, dry rock, and other odds and ends.
I mixed up my water, got it in the tank, made a giant sand storm and now I'm sitting back enjoying the cloudy water. Tried to help things along with the skimmer but it obviously just overflowed.

With regard to the rock. This was a subject that I debated for many days. I know this is a subject that is debated on many sides. Since this is my first go (and I'm patient) I decided to play it safe and go with 100% dry rock. I went went with BRS' reef saver. They advertise this as coming in medium size chunks that are suitable for 'scaping out of the box. Wasn't I surprised to find 35 pounds in only FOUR GIANT CHUNKS.

Well just wanted to document my progress with some words and pictures. Feel free to comment.

BRS packed these up nice. Very little breakage.

The pieces they gave me are HUUUUUGE. 'Scaping willl be interesting.

My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard........

Thanks for reading!!
Sincerely,
Roop

Rooprect

Thanks Nano and Overlook.
The rock is some of the most porous I've ever seen. As I said it's in 4 super big chunks.
Here's a question: The C130 is like 34 gallons.....considering the extreme porosity of this rock do you think I could get away with only having about 26 pounds of rock in the tank?
Sincerely,
Roop

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It reminds me of the Marco Rock I used in my 250, most say 1 to 1 & 1/2 pounds per gallon. I went with 1 pound, because Marco Rock, like the BRS rock is extremely porous (a great thing)

I like an open sandbed look, but not sure I would go down to 26 pounds... see what others think

Rooprect

Sand storm: cleared
35 pounds of reef saver rock: in
Microscopic bugs: added
Skimmer: finally got it working correctly without the valve (this made me very happy)(to be honest it never really worked well with the valve)
Water parameters: not out of the ordinary
Rear water cooler fan mod: I'll post on this in detail later but HOLY COW did I find some silent fans. They are thicker than stock so I'm still working on a way to seal up the enclosure so it looks nice.
T5 light cooling fans: I just got these new fans in yesterday. They are the same ones that many others have used. (Gelid Silent 5) Hopefully I'll get them installed this week.
Sincerely,
Roop

Layton128k

Im very interested to read about your fan mod - they are probably my biggest complaint for the 130. Otherwise I love it!

Rooprect

If you are speaking of the lighting cooling fan mod: many people have written about it in the *good fans* sticky thread. I can expand on my experience briefly here:
The Gelid Silent 5 fans are near silent. However, as some users have pointed out, their vicinity to the grill (where the air passes into the hood) does give off some "air noise". This isn't fan noise but it's still noise. I think someday I'm going to open the hood again and tackle this. Not sure if anyone has tried reversing the flow or moving the fans further from the grill. Anyone....anyone....? Bueller?
Anyone with some mechanical/elec skill can have this done in under an hour. (I chose to solder but it's probably not necessary)
1. Remove the cover from the hood. Red Sea has a PDF for this:
http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/MAX130-hood-fan-replacement-instructions.pdf
2. Remove the fan grill. (the slotted piece of plastic that forms the wall of the hood and allows air to enter) This allows access to the fan fasteners.
3. Remove 2 fasteners from each old fan and unplug the old fans at the connector.
4. Wire up new fans and reassemble. (BE VERY CARFUL IF YOU TEST THE FANS BEFORE REASSEMBLING HOOD, there's a good amount of juice in there)
This part is weird because both the new fans AND hood fan connector are female connectors...so it's not "plug and play".
You have some options here:
Cut off the connectors and just splice the wires (wire details below), OR cut off the hood connector and in its place attach the old fan connector. Then you can simply plug in future replacement fans. (The new fan connector is for a 3 prong male, but the old fan connector (a 2 prong male) fits into it just fine)
Wires: As far as the wires go on the new fans. The outer wire with the microscopic writing on it is the "extra" wire that is not needed. (RPM sensor) Just blank it off. The CENTER wire should attach to hood red wire, and the other outer wire should attach to hood black wire. (this clears up how to attach the connectors)

As far as tank update......just waiting for some algae, diatoms, etc. to start growing!

Sincerely,
Roop