Rock in sump

aprime11b

Hey,

Quick question, I have dry rock in my sump, is that still effective, or do I need to remove it and put it under a light to get "color" to it and make it turn into live rock... does sump need live rock to make it beneficial or is dry rock still effective for its purpose in the sump? My sump has no light over it so the dry rock is still white in color... As the dry rock in my DT and fuge, both have lights I would assume they have turned into LR now since its been 2 months... Let me know because if its not doing anything I will take it out and put them under heavy light for a few weeks.

Thank you!

lbiminiblue

well, it'll get growth slowly. A sump does NOT need LR, but it helps. i would get a little clamp on reptile light.

aprime11b

I want to keep algae out of my sump, thats why I never added a light. It has been 2 months and no growth of anything is on the dry rock... Thats why I was asking if I should remove the rock and put it under high light for a few weeks to turn live rock.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You want the bacteria on the rock to make it live. No light is needed unless you want coralline algae on it.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

aprime11b

Okay, so my dry rock, that looks the same as the day I got it, can still be housing bacteria and technically be "live rock" even though it does not have any types of algae on it, is that correct? I thought it need light and color on the rock to be considered live rock. Thanks for the reply.

DaveK

Generally, you do not want live rock in a sump. With the single direction of water flow, it tends to become a big dirt trap and nitrate factory. Put the rock in your display tank where you can at least blow it out from time to time. You'll get a lot better results.

aprime11b

I was always told and read online that live rock is great for a sump as it holds beneficial bacteria and is a natural filtration
You are the first to say otherwise . I dont want lots of rock in my DT because i have it heavily stocked.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hey,

Quick question, I have dry rock in my sump, is that still effective, or do I need to remove it and put it under a light to get "color" to it and make it turn into live rock... does sump need live rock to make it beneficial or is dry rock still effective for its purpose in the sump? My sump has no light over it so the dry rock is still white in color... As the dry rock in my DT and fuge, both have lights I would assume they have turned into LR now since its been 2 months... Let me know because if its not doing anything I will take it out and put them under heavy light for a few weeks.

Thank you!

adding a chunk or two of live rock to your sump will give you additional filtration, but with that comes a whole other can of worms. If you don't use filter socks, the rock will collect detritus and become a nitrate factory. And live rock becomes live because of the bacteria on it, the pretty pink/red coralline algae has nothing to do with filtration. When I cycle a tank, I use mostly dry rock, it will become live in 30-45 days without lights, and still be bone white. The pretty coralline covering takes a few months to develop. Don't wish for that, its a wish with a bite.

lbiminiblue

LR in a sump is fine. Thing is, my plumbing goes through a few splashing zones, so the water is pretty turbulent, and the water keeps the rocks clean.

DaveK

I was always told and read online that live rock is great for a sump as it holds beneficial bacteria and is a natural filtration
You are the first to say otherwise . I dont want lots of rock in my DT because i have it heavily stocked.

Placing live rock in a sump today is something I would consider to be obsolete. It was done at one time when the sump was part of a wet dry filtration system, or there was no other biological filtration in the main tank.

Since you take is heavily stocked, it is all the more reason to put the rock in the tank. It gives the fish more hiding places. Keep in mind that your still going to have the same volume of water in the system.

reeftivo

live rock rubble in a mesh bag is an easier maintenance option if someone is dead set on placing the rock in sump.

You can easily rinse the bag during WCs to remove any collected detritus that may collect on the outside.

I don't use rubble any more but when I did I would get it cheap from a LFS.

Just my .02

Tivo

aprime11b

Oh so very interesting, everywhere I looked said LR is great in sump! Im shocked! I realize it is same volume of water but more rock in the DT means less swimming area.

Choff

Like other posters have said this was a more common practice previously, it is not done as the norm now. Rocks in the sump become detrius traps and will cause a rise in your nitrates. Is it a horrible practice? No, but it is one more potential area that could cause a nitrate spike and the issues that come with that.

If you still want to proceed, I would suggest raising the rock on a slightly raised platform so water will flow all around it. I would also suggest periodic cleaning.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

reeftivo

+1 on raising it

I used to run rubble in a large string tie nylon mesh bag and it was hung with a zip tie on a small hook from the under side of the tank so not to rest on the bottom. When I did my WCs I woukld just unhook the bag and dunk it in my old water while gently brushing it to remove any collected detritus. Worked fantastic!

I now use the same set up but use a lesser amount of Sea Chem's Matrix to accomplish the same thing.

Happy Reefing

Tivo