Richie's RSM 250

mtk

Let me start by saying what a great site this is. I have been trolling around here for some time and decided to pull the trigger. I looked at all the basic AIO tanks and was undecided on the 130D or the bio cube 29 but wanted to see what else is out there. So my girlfriend and I decided to get into the car and head to our lfs. Let me also say our lfs is about 90-120 min away. What is nice though there is 3 good stores within 30 min of each other. By the time I was done I decided that I wanted something bigger and started to look at a 110 and decided to sleep on it. So we get back into the car and drive home.
The following day we decide instead of spending the big bucks on the 110 we are going to get the RSM 103D. So I call the store and am told that they have one in stock. We get back into the car and head on up again. Get to the store and come to find out they do not have the stand for it but because of the mix up he will give me a great deal on it and drive it half way too me. I told him I would call him by monday and let him know. I go home and search the forums here for 3 hours and decide the dimensions work on the RSM 250 and it is much cheeper then the 110. Well I find my self near my lfs again for a third day in a row. So I decided it was time to pull the trigger. In I go again and ask the owner what he could let a RSM 250 go for. He told me $1550 out the door and if i order it today he will have it in his shop by noon on tues. Well I will be heading back on tuesday to bring my new RSM 250 home. As soon as I get it home I will get some pic's going. I do hope starting this tank will be easier then it was too buy!!!! lol.
Well thanks for listening

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM club!! Good luck with the new tank, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Richie - Congrats on the new RSM 250 - one gorgeous tank ! You got a great deal on it too - thanks for starting a tank thread !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

mtk

Little update.
I called my lfs before I drove the two hours to pick up my new 250. I was told that it was not in yet. An hour later I call back and am told the shipment to the distributer were all damaged. They expect to now have it end of next week. So with no tank I have been reading and reading here. I have come to the conclusion I am going to do the fishless cycle with all dry rock and sand. I ordered Dr. Tims one and only with the ammonium drops to cycle. Now I am up in the air on what rock to go with. My choices are
1. BRS reef saver dry rock
2. BRS pukani dry rock
3. BRS fiji dry rock
4. Marco rock key largo dry rock

Links for the above
1. BRS
2. BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English
3. BRS Fiji Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English
4. 50 Pound box Key Largo Rock <br>And 10Lb E-Marco-400 Aquascape Kit - 50/em400

Or do you know of or recommend any others.
My plan was to get about 60 lbs of rock 25 lbs of shelf rock and 60-65 lbs of Bahama aragonite sand or something similar.
Other items I am researching now are
1. Refugium/sump. I want to have copepods growing for a mandarin.
2. Power heads.
3. Test kits.
4. ATO

I also ordered a SPECTRAPURE® CSP-DI 90 GPD RO/DI SYSTEM that I hope will be here next day or so.
Thanks for listening and any info or advice you can give.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a pic of my Marco rock 50 pounds & 10 pounds of LR

IMG_1360ZZZ.jpg

an a small red chalice, what broke off of a huge chalice that I was playing with in the new tank...

Nairnp

Nice formation, and that looks some super nice rock you have there (do we ever think how stupid we sound commenting on how nice a lump of rock is....)

I have just got my 250 set up, one week old now, so far loving it.

mtk

Thanks everyone.
Nanoreefing4fun your tank looks awesome. The way you have your tank set up is the way I wanted to set mine up. What kind of LR is in there. I like how it has a ton of small pieces coming off of it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here a :bump: so you can get more feedback...

Re: Richie's RSM 250
Little update.
I called my lfs before I drove the two hours to pick up my new 250. I was told that it was not in yet. An hour later I call back and am told the shipment to the distributer were all damaged. They expect to now have it end of next week. So with no tank I have been reading and reading here. I have come to the conclusion I am going to do the fishless cycle with all dry rock and sand. I ordered Dr. Tims one and only with the ammonium drops to cycle. Now I am up in the air on what rock to go with. My choices are
1. BRS reef saver dry rock
2. BRS pukani dry rock
3. BRS fiji dry rock
4. Marco rock key largo dry rock

Links for the above
1. BRS
2. BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English
3. BRS Fiji Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English
4. 50 Pound box Key Largo Rock <br>And 10Lb E-Marco-400 Aquascape Kit - 50/em400

Or do you know of or recommend any others.
My plan was to get about 60 lbs of rock 25 lbs of shelf rock and 60-65 lbs of Bahama aragonite sand or something similar.
Other items I am researching now are
1. Refugium/sump. I want to have copepods growing for a mandarin.
2. Power heads.
3. Test kits.
4. ATO

I also ordered a SPECTRAPURE® CSP-DI 90 GPD RO/DI SYSTEM that I hope will be here next day or so.
Thanks for listening and any info or advice you can give.

tnwillia

I'd wait a year on the Mandrain, you can build up your Pod population in that time in your DT or Fuge if you go that way. IMHO there is only 1 power head and that is Vortech, I've been using the JBJ ATO for 2 years now and love it! Have fun!

mtk

Yea don't plan on jumping the gun with a mandarin. Just looking ahead and planning. I like the idea of having a well established copepod colony in my tank before I think of getting one.

mtk

So I just ordered my dry rock from Marco Rocks. 100 Lbs of rock and 40 Lbs of the sand. With the 40 lbs of sand from rsm starter kit and the marco sand I have up to 80 lbs to play with. Packages should start arriving any day now.