Return pump replacement options?

shingo43

I bought one Eheim compact 600 and one minijie 606 and did the mod to replace the original pumps, it was a easy a quick mode, and Eheim tubes are highly recommended, They are very tight fitting and they are green to prevent algae growing which can cut flow. I still have some microbubbles now even both pumps are fully sinked into water, maybe the pumps need to be breakin, I'll wait a few more days and update.

Martyn73

Thanks for the tips and pictures Bathtub. I made the same change in my RSM 130D. Overall I'm very satisfied with the change. No more microbubbles from the pumps and very quiet operation.

However, I don't think the flow increased but actually reduced a little bit. As soon as I fit any length of 12/16 hose on the Eheim compact 600 pumps it reduces the flow enough where the output appears to be less than the stock RSM pumps. For me this is not a big deal because I have a Vortech MP10 which provides enough flow inside the tank.

Also, I noticed the weight of the pumps will cause some restriction of the hose where it connects to the part pulled from the RSM pump. I eliminated this problem by securing the electrical cord so most of the weight of the pumps is absorbed by the cord.

Shingo43, make sure the length of the hose between each pump is different. I noticed when the pumps are sitting side-by-side it can still create occasionally microbubbles. But still far less than the stock RSM pumps.

Again, overall a great mod that I'm happy with and can recommend to others.

G8rplr92

The eheim pumps allow for you to adjust the flow so make sure they are all the way open to get max flow. I am seeing ~30% more flow over the stock pumps with the eheims, but I have never had brand new, out of the box, stock pumps so who knows. But I highly reccomend this mod!

drachen

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

I used 1/2in ID tubing and its still slightly too loose to hold the pump in suspension and definitely don't look as snug as your does. :(

tntman

Many thanks fir ththe pics and advise! I didn't use Eheim tubing but uses cheap 10mm clear tubing but thats too narrow for the hole as water is falling back into ththe sump area. I coulndt pry out the old nossle from the stock pump! What did youyou use to get it out?

use a decent set of pliers to get them off. Be carefull not to crush the threads of the outlet nozzle when you remove them however. Try to clamp the pliers on the bottom thin black base as opposed to the threads themselves.

Hongkonger

I just changed my circ pumps as well. I used the New Jet 800, same company as maxi jet just marketed to the UK, great pumps!!

Bathtub

I just used a penknife (leatherman) blade.
the black bits have just a slight bit of cyano gluing them in, so they will suddenly "give" and just come out easy...

ru77ie

Hi all

I've taken this advice and installed 2 eheim 600s and installed them in the way that was suggested. I did this mainly because of the comment regarding this eliminating micro bubbles.

After installation, I'm still getting those nasty micro bubbles. Should I wait a couple of days for the pump to "break in"?

I'm running a rsm130d with a intank media rack, aquamedic turboflotor blue 500, hailea chiller and the 2 new eheim 600s.

Also, my chiller pump is relatively close to the skimmer pump. Could they be competing? Could this me causing micro bubbles?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

reefer gladness

Do you have the pumps at least a few inches apart? I dropped one Eheim compact 1000 all the way to the bottom and the compact 600 about 5-6 inches higher (midway) so the pumps aren't competing to draw the same water. I pretty much did the same as the others and used tubing (5/8" I think) to extend the pump up through the two holes the original return pumps fit in.

Another plus to dropping both pumps a little lower is you don't have to turn them off for a 10% water change.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It's sitting on the "optimal" mark.

Not sure what that is... but can tell you I have help 100's solve micro bubbles & it's related to water height 90% of the time :dance:

If you want to try an easy test... put your in tank surface skimmer cup 1/4 " from it's top position & add salt water until the water level almost touches the the hood arm trays (the have little drain holes in them) and see if the micro bubbles stop

I always ran my water level in my 130D extremely high & zero micro bubbles - the onlky time I ever saw them was when an impeller needed cleaning.

Good Luck getting it sorted !

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I was having (again) a bout with small bubbles in my tank and it about drove me crazy. I finally had to put the lid all the way up and stand looking over the tank into the rear chambers to determine if the bubbles were "man made" (ie skimmer etc) or cause by impeller/cavitation problems. It was indeed the skimmer and apparently during one of my cleaning procedures either something was installed incorrectly, clogged or left out because if I ran w/o the skimmer running no bubbles. I took it ALL out, took apart and carefully put back together. No bubbles after about 30 seconds of running.

You'll want to figure out the source of the bubbles to better be able to fix the problem. A flashlight helps a LOT when trying to see down into those dark chambers.

ru77ie

Thanks for all the help!

I think I have sourced the problem...the skimmer. Im running a aquamedic turboflotor blue 500. Has anyone had any experience with these? I will take it out tonight and see if anything is obvious.

I have the chiller pump right underneath the skimmer pump. Do you think this could cause problems?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Skimmers do create micro bubbles. I use a flex line if my Skimmer output to redirect the flow if that helps.

matt sometimes enjoys sarcasm

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
A clear rubber line is what I was referring to. No abrupt turns only bends

matt sometimes enjoys sarcasm