Removing or trimming finger leather

Any tips on this one? I'm looking to remove or trim it back. No way to get the rock out so I'd have to do it in the water.

925D93BD-24C7-48A8-9FDA-E24E392B7E2F-577-000000608B296338_zps281801b0.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Weeeeeeellllll leathers and sps don't do well. If you want to frag it, precision cuts will work and then just glue it. In my sps tank, I got rid of the leathers all together.

It really is beautiful in person, and I as hoping to just trim it back as it's starting to crowd my other corals and takes up so much space.

DaveK

You may want to remove the rock. Yes, I know you said "No way to get the rock out so I'd have to do it in the water. " The problem is the many leather corals throw off a lot of slime and stuff when you frag or cut them. This is material you do not want in your system. It's usually better to put the coral in question in a bucket of SW removed from the tank, and trim it up there and then discard that water.

If you do need to work only in the tank, do it in small sections a little at a time over a long period of time. I'm talking weeks here. That way your keeping any slime to a modest amount each time you trim it. Don't try to trim the whole thing as once, as tempting as that may be.

Akshay

I normally use a sharp scissor and snip the part I want to trim.
IMO blades in the tank are just too messy & give uneven cuts, which leads to more slime.
If I need to get a big pc off, I snip it from closer to the base.... essentially one snip per trim.
The leather is in full bloom within an hour and hardly any slime.
Also as DaveK rightly said don't go trimming too much...it's essentially one trim at a time per week, if needed.

I am doing a water change today and will be trimming it up during the change as to suck out all the slime that goes with it. Good idea?

Akshay

Yup...wc is always a good idea!
But IMO your just stressing out unnecessarily.
This is not really that critical & snipping your leather isn't really gonna stump your sps or crash your tank.
So just relax and put up some more pics of your gorgeous tank :D

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just curious, How come leathers don't mix well with sps?

It's debatable and varies with types of corals. If you have good filtration and run carbon, you're chances are better of having success. I have a huge toadstool growing in my tank with several sps. Granted, none of my sps are the difficult types. But in answer to your question, a lot of softies will give off chemicals to keep other types of corals from growing around them.