Remove Bio Balls from Wet/Dry?

My system has been up and running for 9-10 months now and i would like to remove the bio balls from my wet/dry filter. Is it ok to just take them out or do i have to remove a few then wait a few days and remove some more? My Tank is a 72G Bow with about 90lbs of LR. I have 1 Clown(added 5/1/11), 1 LTA(added 5/14/11-i should of waited another month or so with this one but i jumped the gun thank god its doing ok), 1 Frogspawn(added 5/1/11), and a toadstool(added 5/14/11) + 2 FireShrimp (5/14/11)

Im also looking into Berlin Sumps and was thinking about swapping it out. When i do decide to make the switch is there anything special i need to know about or do i just swap the water from the old to the new?

Thanks in advance.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Your live rock should be able to handle you bio load but I cannot make drastic changes by taking out all of your bio balls at one. I would take out about 1/4 at a time and check the water daily, it things remain stable after a week or a little longer then take out more.. I started with bio balls as well and my trates and phos plummeted after I got them removed. I removed my over a months time with no problem. I don't know anything about Berlin sumps but they look very nice. I am a big fan of a fuge section in the sump as well if that is an option.

Your live rock should be able to handle you bio load but I cannot make drastic changes by taking out all of your bio balls at one. I would take out about 1/4 at a time and check the water daily, it things remain stable after a week or a little longer then take out more.. I started with bio balls as well and my trates and phos plummeted after I got them removed. I removed my over a months time with no problem. I don't know anything about Berlin sumps but they look very nice. I am a big fan of a fuge section in the sump as well if that is an option.

Thats what i tought, ill start the process tonight when i get home. Thanks for the reply!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great advice. Go slow and remove some out of each water change and stay on top of your testing. The water tests will guide you along your reefing-Jedi ways :LOL: