Reefmack's RSM 130

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
after... every 6 or 7 post off topic... you have to post a FTS or that's what I do :) then everyone visiting is still happy.

Hah - good idea, but the tank needs scraping, again. I have a couple things arriving tomorrow, so I'll wait. No corals though.

rhogeo

Droll Yankees are really nicely built. I bought a couple here in Gastonia at Ford's Seed shop and they were cheaper than Amazon had them.

Here's a couple of shots at the Hummingbirds we have around the house. I've had to catch a few in our garage that get trapped and then let them go.
Hummingbirds109.jpg

Hummingbirds122.jpg

Here's a video of them "swarming".

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
rhogeo - Great pics and the video was too. I have one or two hummers that get very territorial and will sit on a branch till another hummer tries to use the feeder or a nearby flowering Cypress Vine, and chases any intruders away. Don't yours do that? If I get a swarm like you had in your video, it's the "boss" chasing several others away. Rarely do I see 2 sharing the feeder at the same time.

Don't forget the special thread mentioned above by RaysReef. A good place to share these things.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Terry, what hardware goodies have you bought? If you're going to take some pics soon please take one of your coralline algae scrapper too (i want to see exactly what you are using)...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Ray. No recent hardware goodies. I got a "mixed blessing" gift yesterday. One of my friends that lives about 3 hours away (not a reefer) brought me a replacement Foxface, but the thing is really much too big for the 130. After a 3 hour drive I had no option but to get it acclimated and in the tank, to avoid losing the fish. He knew how much I missed my first Foxface, so it was a nice gesture.

I'll try to get a picture later of my favorite coralline scrapers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Never did get the pictures of my algae scraper arsenal - got busy with other things. But I'll paste in a few links. I use razor blade scrapers and stainless steel bladed ones - none of them have scratched my glass that I can see.

My favorite, and best - for when I feel like putting and arm in the tank, or want to scrape the back wall, Replaceable steel razor blades:

Scraper for glass aquarium - Aqua Medic

My favorite for when I don't want to put an arm in the tank. This one is an attachment that you superglue to a large size mag float. It has an extendable (replaceable) steel razor blade that does a great job with my hand outside the tank:

Easy Blade Scraper Attachment for Aquarium Algae Magnet Cleaner

Note: The above blades can rust and chip if used too roughly.

I have a few of these Kent scrapers - stainless steel blades that don't rust, but can bend a bit. I like the short one as I can get more leverage with it, but at times the longer handle is better for some spots:

Aquarium Cleaning & Maintenance: Pro-Scrapers

I love this little mag scraper gadget - small but easy to slide on the glass. Great for in between scraping, but won't remove the tough stuff easily. It also gets into some really tight spots as it's super thin. I was surprised that the inner part hasn't been disconnected from the outside magnet yet, and I use it pretty briskly. It's also very flexible and easy to work around the corners.

Nano Aquarium Algae Scraper: Two Little Fishies NanoMag

Those are my favorites, and I've tried lots of them. I thought one called the
"Mag Flip" would be good, but I'm not at all impressed with that one - a plastic blade that takes a lot of work to scrape off even small dots of coralline.

The big Foxface is doing fine. I guess it's not much bigger than the one I lost, but I would have rather had a much smaller one that would have room to grow.

Dweezil

Terry ~ Back in an earlier post you had a picture of you doing a water change. In the picture was a container that was white and looked to be about 5 gallons? with a screw on lid...sort of like a plastic gas can but not. Where did you get that? I think you mentioned you store your RO water in it?
Anyway, it looked like a perfect container for that and wanted to pick one up but can't seem to find one.

tnwillia

Tammy... most of the bigger sporting goos stores have 5 gal water storage jugs for camping that look like gas cans.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Tammy. I got mine from US Plastics Corp. They have all kinds of these type things. I got these (1 5 gallon and 2 - 2.5gallon) based on the low price:

Dekalit Stackable Containers

There may be other types that are easier to pour from than the type I have. Search around the site & see if you like anything better.

I also got a 2.5 and 5 Gallon blue plastic bottle from Target - these look like ones used in water coolers.

bottle.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great ideas everyone. I wish I could have found all these things when I was searching for containers. I currently keep 30 gallons of RO/DI in storage, and a 5 gallon pail of week old SW on hand for weekly water changes. This and my shelves of equipment take up a lot more space than the tank itself!